Macbook and MOTU 828

Obscura

Mar 16, 2004
www.myspace.com
Macbook and MOTU 828 MKII
Please be gentle... I just recently got a Macbook and have had a MOTU 828 laying in our practice space for over a year now that was left by a friend. I'm extremely new to recording and have up to this point been recording band rehearsals with a Fostex VF80 and 2 microphones.

I'm trying to make some better quality demo recordings of our songs, recorded live at rehearsal, and then doing some quick overdubs afterward. I know that the 828 is complete overkill but can anyone give me some suggestions on getting started with it? I know that it only has 2 XLR inputs/mic pre's, so what kind of interface do I need to run into the MOTU so that I can record about 8 tracks live? Would I be better off getting a MOTU 8Pre or something like it?

I spend a LOT of time on this forum reading and learning and I know that this is way below the level that most of you are at, but I wasn't sure where else to turn for information.

Thanks, Todd.

you could grab an 8 channel preamp with adat out...... That will give you 8 mic inputs and then still have the 2 on the front of the 828.

Thanks for the help. I know what my question probably sounded like..."I found all of these heavy bars of gold and I don't know what to do with them..." so thanks for the help. Is there any cheaper way of doing this than getting another expensive piece of equipment? I really just want to make some very, very rough demo recordings for the other guys in the band to listen for now. Thanks.

Buy a cheapass 8 channel behringer mixer with 8 cheapass mic pres. Output 3-8 of the behringer mixer and patch that into 3-8 of the 828. Use the mic pres in channels 1-2 in the 828 as normal. Assuming the 828 has 8 line inputs, i forget.

Thanks for the help. I know what my question probably sounded like..."I found all of these heavy bars of gold and I don't know what to do with them..." so thanks for the help. Is there any cheaper way of doing this than getting another expensive piece of equipment? I really just want to make some very, very rough demo recordings for the other guys in the band to listen for now. Thanks.

The cheapest thing to do would be to buy a cheapo analog mic preamp. But you get what you pay for, so I really wouldn't recommend it. But if it's just for ruff mixes then it should work out for you.. Cheap POS Mic Pre

Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll find something half way between a POS mic pre and something a little nicer, or maybe my band wil sell enough merch in the next month to buy something nicer.