machines are learning to feel

it is a shame, frankly most americans are nothing better than walking machines that do one or two things well, and quote movie lines for their wisdom.

I was just trying to be a bit over the top, but yes, Ive met a few wise people from America. However, they always seem to be outsiders to the culture and system--I suppose that is why they are wise.

:tickled: once again i agree, i have had the opportunity to see other parts of the world and i find that those americans who have also been "outside the box" tend to understand more, though that is just my experiences

So we agree about the wisdom of America, but the findaemental quesiton you mentioned of robots not being wise, has not been addressed. I was merely trying to show robots dont have to have any wisdom at all to be effective--as respresented by the people of the good ole USA.

also a point i agree with.

what i was saying is, humanity has the potential to be wise, however, i find it seemingly impossible to program wisdom into a machine, only knowledge.

true, but who knows after a few thousand generations of computers surely wisdom will occur. How long did it take us humans to have a wise man? Im just saying wisdom is not all the important when one considers it. We already live in a computer age, where people thinking about the consequences of things is not exactly a priority.

I find this article fascinating. It's amazing how quickly technology is advancing. Although it does seem like science fiction at this point, in time it may be as true as flying automobiles or living on mars. It find it to be quite possible to upload ones mind into a machine, but first humanity must understand how the mind works before doing anything.

And about this...skin chip....what the hell? I can just imagine someone pressing the palm of their hand then putting it against their ear, and talk to their grandmother in Spain. Cellphones in 2020 :p

what happens when it malfunctions and destroys neighboring tissue, or gives you skin cancer?

what happens if, during the transfer of your "mind", the computer has some error in calculation, or worse a virus, or power outage, and your consciousness is lost forever or destroyed?

Silent Song said:
what happens when it malfunctions and destroys neighboring tissue, or gives you skin cancer?

what happens if, during the transfer of your "mind", the computer has some error in calculation, or worse a virus, or power outage, and your consciousness is lost forever or destroyed?

Too bad. Shit happens.

I'm sure if this technology were possible in the future. They'd ask you first if you want your mind in a machine, because we all know shit is going to happen.

why would they have to ask when they can make it a law to "back up" your brain in case you have some kind of accident or breakdown?

they could just "reboot" you. they could also "reinstall" you. or better yet, "reprogram" you. the end of humanity, and the triumph of roboticism

I seriously doubt it would happen so soon. There are so many obstacles. It's possible that if you allowed scientists to work completely undisturbed, such a machine may results, but it never happens like that. The playstation example is a bad one, emulating the human mind takes much more than raw processor power, even if it increases exponentially. Also, the moral question comes in, at one point or another research for these kinds of things will be delayed. Things just never happen on time. The man forgot to factor in all the variables into the equation.