Mackie HR824mk2

Dec 29, 2010
Colorado
Worth it? I need to upgrade and im thinking about picking these up, i cant demo them anywhere locally so if any of you have tell me what ya think. Oh and i have a budget of about 1400 for monitors. So all suggestions are welcome. Room is treated and relatively small.

For 1400$ you could score a set of new Dynaudio BM5a's with some stands. I was lucky and got mine used for under 500$ and i've seen them on ebay for under 800$ sometimes. IMO they are the best pair you could get for under 1k.

There are other popular models around here like the Yamaha HS80's or the Adam's A7. Although all these might be a better choice than the mackies, you should definitely find a way to try them out before purchasing. I wouldn't toss 1400$ blindly on something unless i KNEW i was getting what i wanted.

I wouldn't toss 1400$ blindly on something unless i KNEW i was getting what i wanted.

Well yeah i can agree with that but i don't even have a guitar center where i live. I have to drive about an hour to get to a guitar center and about 3 hours to get to specialty shops. The specialty shops obviously have a much broader selection. And usually more down to earth dudes there.

I also don't understand how i could try them out. I mean, if anything i would like to try my projects and sessions out on them to actually get a good idea whats best for me personally. But idk what i would have to do in order to accomplish that. Like, would i bring a copy of cubase and all my plugins and files to the store or something? Idk i just figured i could get some suggestions from fellow headbangers on their personal preference so i kind of have some direction. Which you did so i will look into those. I could possibly spend more but i would rather not. I have a great job, but great bills to go with it =\

ForceTheTriggerSucks said:
Well yeah i can agree with that but i don't even have a guitar center where i live. I have to drive about an hour to get to a guitar center and about 3 hours to get to specialty shops. The specialty shops obviously have a much broader selection. And usually more down to earth dudes there.

I also don't understand how i could try them out. I mean, if anything i would like to try my projects and sessions out on them to actually get a good idea whats best for me personally. But idk what i would have to do in order to accomplish that. Like, would i bring a copy of cubase and all my plugins and files to the store or something? Idk i just figured i could get some suggestions from fellow headbangers on their personal preference so i kind of have some direction. Which you did so i will look into those. I could possibly spend more but i would rather not. I have a great job, but great bills to go with it =\

Most music stores either have an iPod or cd player hooked in so you can burn/bring tunes you are familiar with

Definitely not that bad. I had a pair and they were ok. On Adam A8Xs now though and they translate to other systems far better than the Mackies. Given your small room - I'd recommend a pair of A5Xs or A7Xs and a sub.

Tried them a complete week while recording a friend's project in a large studio @ Paris (France) the last summer.
As usual the 1031 for job and reference, HR824MkII Focal C5 (I don't remember the exact name) and Dynaudio BM5.
I use the SSL monitoring section as usual.

All day I started to listen a previous project on 1031 and I cross to Mackie......all the time I was thinking they have too much bass and highs.
I was ending the day by crossing between Mackie, Focal and Dynaudio.
I don't wanted to start the day with Focal, because I really loved them, and they sounded familiar to me. It was like I had them since many years before, so I don't wanted to listen them because my ears would be different.

Don't really like the MkII when I A/B test with the focal or the dynaudio. Too much bass and highs.
It's difficult to me to works in detail when I wanted to listen highs end reverbs.
I'm used to my 1031 and I have prefered the details of the Focal and the Dynaudio.

Especially when you are listening to Epilogue from last Iced Earth album.
You have a very good job on the percussion stereo placement and reverbs/ambiance.
My ears and brain have listen to more details and a better stereo placement on the Focal and the Dynaudio.

But the Focal are better for me because they are active. Who can made better processing section and amplifiers than the one which made HP and enclosure ?

Negative point : sound change with level. But for a nearfield reference, as I listen to at strong level, it's not a real problem for me.