Mad Cow / CJD

Speed...it seems apparent that we do not eat only what we need nor do we respect the animals we kill for food. You made a point earlier about the reverence Native Americans had for the animals they reared and slaughtered for their consumption and that (combined with our meat eating heritage as a species) is the way I would like to see the meat eating market working.

Susperia makes some valid points also, and I tend to think we have the intelligence beyond our basic physical make up to choose not to eat meat because the evils in doing so are apparent. (by saying that I refer to mass production slaughter houses, not family run farms who take care of the animals).

Overall...I think you are both incredibly stubborn, not to mention dug well into your respective trenches. As someone in relative middle ground: Meat eating is fine, providing the rearing of the animals has some reverence for their status as living, breathing fellow inhabitants of the planet, but vegans/vegetarians who feel the need to patronise need a swift smack to the chops (no pun intended :))

Final_Product said:
Speed...it seems apparent that we do not eat only what we need nor do we respect the animals we kill for food. You made a point earlier about the reverence Native Americans had for the animals they reared and slaughtered for their consumption and that (combined with our meat eating heritage as a species) is the way I would like to see the meat eating market working.

Susperia makes some valid points also, and I tend to think we have the intelligence beyond our basic physical make up to choose not to eat meat because the evils in doing so are apparent. (by saying that I refer to mass production slaughter houses, not family run farms who take care of the animals).

Overall...I think you are both incredibly stubborn, not to mention dug well into your respective trenches. As someone in relative middle ground: Meat eating is fine, providing the rearing of the animals has some reverence for their status as living, breathing fellow inhabitants of the planet, but vegans/vegetarians who feel the need to patronise need a swift smack to the chops (no pun intended :))
wow that was the most insightfull post on this thread

It really wasn't... since he doesn't have any real knowledge of what we're discussing, and neither do you.

And about the Native American's ----They did everything right. Even the way they reared their children and grew their food was perfect. It will never be that way again, ever. No point in saying it "should". People don't have respect for food anymore.

Final_Product said:

I agree with this post. I thought thats what I was getting at: our entire agricultural system (be it meat or grains) harms not only us, but the environment as well. Hence, organic foods, are what people should be supporting if they wish to better the environment, and if meat is raised such a way, then eating meat is not evil to the environment or harmful to ones health. Hence veganism (not vegetarianism) is a ethical choice that is somewhat noble--almost buddhist or Brahmic in its nature of not wishing to harm any life.

Well its been an enjoyable argument/discussion. It started out rather poorly, but its really come on in the later stages.

LORD_RED_DRAGON said:
every vegan i know ends up getting sick to point of going to the ER with the doctors either telling them they've been poisoned by pesticedes or the docters telling them to start eating meat
if you're in the USA but outside of Texas and you eat a hamburger, there's about a 9 out of 10 chance that you're eating a cow that was born in Texas [Oprah had to come to Texas when the "cattle industry" sued her, remember] so i think that this might somehow have something to do with why Texas doctors are telling their patients to eat beef

judas69 said:
"A study at the University of Pittsburgh, in which autopsies were done on 54 demented patients diagnosed as having probable or possible Alzheimer's or some other dementia (but not CJD), found three cases (or 5.5%) of CJD among the 54 studied."

I'm against CJD because it's Anti-Semitic.

Susperia said:
It really wasn't... since he doesn't have any real knowledge of what we're discussing, and neither do you.

And about the Native American's ----They did everything right. Even the way they reared their children and grew their food was perfect. It will never be that way again, ever. No point in saying it "should". People don't have respect for food anymore.

You are making assumptions based, yet again on your own bias. I have a reasonable knowledge of what you were both talking about and thus felt like throwing in my two cents. Throwing all notions of being humble, aside...I liked the post I made and thought it was reasonably well balanced. So if you'd kindly stop assuming that I am an ignoramus to the complex intellectual world you seem to have built yourself into, I would very much appreciate it.

Erm, okay, I didn't realize knowing about vegan nutrition/lifestyle (which not many people know about, hence me assuming you didn't) was a part of a "complex intellectual world".

Susperia said:
Erm, okay, I didn't realize knowing about vegan nutrition/lifestyle (which not many people know about, hence me assuming you didn't) was a part of a "complex intellectual world".

That was a comment regarding the flippant way in which you disregarded what I said by assuming I had no idea about vegan lifestyles. That sweeping move, to put it lightly, pissed me off.

Final_Product said:
You are making assumptions based, yet again on your own bias
no, she's making assumptions based on culteral differences, as an American Susperia knows that the average American off the street knows virtually nothing about how to be a vegitarian/vegan or even how to eat healthy at all, and Final Product is European, so based on his posts on this thread, i would say that healthy eating is apparently one of many subjects where the average European is vastly more informed than the average American, so when Final Product contridicted Susperia, she assumed that he didn't know what he was talking aboutas because she didn't realize how smart Europeans were in comparison to the extreme stupidness of MOST Americans AND Final Product didn't realize this either because the Americans posting on this philosopher's forum are so much smarter than the general American public

Kindly post only if you have something to contribute. I would welcome you back, if you contributed well, like in the past.