circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Magic Kingdom – Metallic Tragedy
Limb Music Products – March 22nd, 2004
By Jason Jordan

magic.jpg

It takes a lot of effort to be innovative within a genre. Magic Kingdom fail at the former, but their most recent opus isn’t entirely devoid of good moments. All involved musicians are adept on their instruments, while most of the solos tend to be impressive. The group traipses through four and five minute songs during the stint of Metallic Tragedy. Each track feels like a mini-epic, and maybe that’s the band’s intentions. “Child of the Nile,” “The Iron Mask,” and “Flying Pyramids” are whimsical journeys that conjure images of castles, dragons and…uh, more dragons. It doesn’t help that the cover artwork is laden with those fictional beasts.

Venturing into the first nine songs results in a half-hearted, power metal experience. The real surprise is the thirteen-plus minute title track that brings the album to a close. Why didn’t they use some of these things in other songs?! There’s chanting, female operatic vocals, growling, and distorted vox here. I can’t relay how refreshing it was to hear an Into Eternity-esque cameo within this disc! The group really captured my attention with this particular outing and, fortunately, it’s the longest song on the record. But, I can’t figure out why they wouldn’t want to riddle the rest of Metallic Tragedy with similar attributes. If they had, maybe then this would’ve been worth a look. Otherwise, I can’t recommend Magic Kingdom to anyone but diehard, power metal fans, and those who have penchants for band names that sound like they should be affiliated with Disney.

6/10

Official Limb Music Products website