Magnum

Keir

Apr 27, 2012
Bridgewater, MA
I wanted to respond to some of the comments in the Wish List thread but since they really aren't appropriate for Ragnarokkr I thought I would just start a separate thread rather than clutter up that one.

Too much money and not metal enough. And I say that with them as my #1 bucket list band.
I agree with all of these things. I don't even have a band bucket list (too many bands, and too many variables out of my control!) but if I did it would have one band: Magnum.

I've been a fan since 1990 when I was visiting family and England and heard them on The Friday Rock Show. It was a song from Goodnight L.A. and while it didn't really make an impression on me (I was much more into thrash at the time) I thought my brother Sam would enjoy it so I told him about it. Shortly thereafter we stopped at a music store and they had a bunch of Magnum tapes. Neither of us knew anything about the band besides the one song I heard on the radio, so he picked up Chase The Dragon based on the cover. As soon as we listened to it we were both hooked.

Unfortunately, the only time Magnum have ever been in the US was in 1982. I think it's time for them to come back. For years my brother and I were the only people we knew in the US who had even heard of them, but now it seems they are becoming relatively well known. Sure, they don't belong at Ragnarokkr, but I think ProgPower 2015 would be an excellent fit and I am sure there are other festivals that would be good stepping stones for them to break into the US.

I was introduced to them via Bob Catley singing with Avantasia. After hearing the first Avantasia disc I loved his vocals. Soon I was always looking for their stuff. I love the Bob Catley solo disc as well.

While I think they would be better suited for ProgPower...I don't see why they couldn't do Ragnarokkr.

I would love to see them. I was lucky to see Catley perform with Avantasia as well. Great live performer and still has a great voice.

Jeremy turned me on to this band about 10 years ago. I agree they'd be a great ProgPower band, but I honestly don't see that happening. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to travel to Europe to finally see them.

Yes, the new one sounds great. I still need to pick that up.

Bob and Justin, why do you think they won't play ProgPower?

I think they would have gotten them by now. If they played it I would go to the fest actually. I wonder if the cost for them is high or interest from the band itself wanting to play the states. There are some bands who don't even care about coming over here.

Jeremy turned me on to this band about 10 years ago. I agree they'd be a great ProgPower band, but I honestly don't see that happening. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll have to travel to Europe to finally see them.

It wouldn't work unless Harvester said to like them.

I think Magnum could work as a headliner. I am sure people would come out just for them but just as many would ask "who?" or why them. They have a great hard classic rock sound and would bring something new to the show. Ashbury went over great. I wonder though how many of the regulars know or are even fans though. I would love to see them still though.