Mago De Oz

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
I've enjoyed this band's music for a long time and I'm wondering what others opinions are. Is this band appropriate for Progpower? Are they too big for the festival? Or would they fit comfortably in a headliner slot?

I love folkish metal, but IMO, very few bands get it right. Mago de Oz, IMO, does it better than anyone. Them and Wuthering Heights, another band I'd love to see at PP again.

I think we talked about this a while back but it doesn't matter. As far as for the fest, I don't think so. They're good, don't get me wrong but A. Like Pellaz said, they're too big and B. You would be getting a lot of new people into the fest who aren't necessarily fans of our genre. Just my two cents.

You would be getting a lot of new people into the fest who aren't necessarily fans of our genre. Just my two cents.

True, but what is wrong with that? Wouldn't getting new attendees to the best be a GOOD thing?

Don't you think getting new fans to the fest were main drivers for booking Amorphis, Elvenking, etc?

The thing with Mago De Oz is that in addition to metal fans they draw latinos as well. Here in Chicago, they can pack wherever they play (IE - Aragon, House of Blues, etc)

very true.....when I saw Rata Blanca at the Aragon there were at least 3,000 people there. The place was packed. This is from a metal band which is pretty unknown even in the power metal scene.

Yep, it is the same for many underground band.
Bands get support from non-fans of the genre.

I am sure most here (aside from Diabolik) have never heard of the punk band LOS CRUDOS from Chicago. Their shows were attended by just as many NON-punks as punks, who were there to support a latino band.

Here in Chicago, there are many day long "rock en espanol" shows where on the same bill, you will have rap, metal, rock, alternative, etc, and from what I have heard, everyone gets along.

Yep, it is the same for many underground band.
Bands get support from non-fans of the genre.

I am sure most here (aside from Diabolik) have never heard of the punk band LOS CRUDOS from Chicago. Their shows were attended by just as many NON-punks as punks, who were there to support a latino band.

Here in Chicago, there are many day long "rock en espanol" shows where on the same bill, you will have rap, metal, rock, alternative, etc, and from what I have heard, everyone gets along.

I exeperienced one of those shows....it was very amazing to see. EVERYONE was getting into every band. There was 3 huge dancing pits where everyone was just jumping around very nicely and not running into anyone. I am talking like 300 people in each pit....from moms to dads carrying thier kids on thier shoulders to punks to metalheads. It was a blast.

LOVE this band, but yeah, I think they might be too big, if not in terms of price then in terms of stage setup. I was watching their Barakaldo DVD and they had like 14 guys on stage (one was dressed as a giant penis), a massive cathedral backdrop, and a giant inflatable Jesus in an AC/DC shirt. I don't think Center Stage could handle all that! Still, it would definitely be an experience, and yes, would bring some new blood to the fest.

Thanks, that's what I wasn't clear on. How big are they? Dream Theater big, or bigger?

When I saw them in NYC in 2008, the venue was approx. 3,000 capacity. The show was sold out. BlackRoseMetalHeart & I were the only 2 people speaking English & singing 2 different sets of incorrect spanish lyrics.:lol:

Mago de Oz is one of the greatest live bands EVER!:headbang:

Hi all, here in Mexico Mago de Oz have a lot of fans, saw this band a couple of times but they play here almost every year, this band can sold out a venue of about 15,000 seats, I like them but latest releases are not so good IMO, my faves are FINISTERRA and LA LEYENDA DE LA MANCHA, even here in Mexico a promoter did a fest about 3 years ago named MAGO DE OZ fest that included UDO, CAGE, STRATOVARIUS among others on the bill.

See ya at PPXI

I was watching their Barakaldo DVD and they had like 14 guys on stage (one was dressed as a giant penis), a massive cathedral backdrop, and a giant inflatable Jesus in an AC/DC shirt.

Wow...I'm just glad it isn't an inflatable Muhammad, because that would be pretty offensive! As long as it's an inflatable Jesus, those Christians won't mind. Heck, that sounds like quality entertainment right there!

~Brian~