What about Mago de Oz in PP?

TBJ

Dec 5, 2002
Carrboro, NC
Visit site
Hey,

Now that we know that it is not a pre-requisite to be an English-Only band in PP(*cough Orphaned Land Cough*) why don't we get Mago de Oz on a future Prog-Power?

To those that do not know who they are, Mago de Oz is a prog-power-folk band from Spain, they are VERY popular in Europe, they have toured with Maiden and many other awesome bands, and their level of musicianship is just as high as many of the bands they've toured with...They are basically headliners all across Europe...they probably slipped under most of our radars because they only sing in spanish(hell, I'm latino and I only heard of them about a year ago!!)

They put on an awesome show, just take a look at their live DVD(I forgot the name)....Imagine Maiden but in spanish with flute and violins AND a sense of humor!!! Awesome! The singer is awesome and did i mention their live act is cool as hell?

Try them out, you wont be dissapointed(specially their last 2 albums, they even got awesome reviews in Metal Maniacs!!).:hotjump:

Other Spanish acts include Dark Moor(they sing in english, they were awesome with a girl singer but they changed her for a guy that sings EXACTLY like her, WTF??!, look for their cover of Halloween in one of those helloween tributes, AWESOME)

Also seek out Tierra Santa, they are an Iron Maiden Clone(sad to say but they are good), but they sing in spanish and they could have a better singer(he's the band leader so we are stuck)...but, they have pretty good musical Ideas..

There's also Saratoga, very Helloweenish circa 1980's.

There are many more but I forget the names...:cool:

Well, discuss amongst yourselves.

TBJ

I don't think so.

Let explain it in spanish

Vamos a defender a la reina de los malignos. Es ridiculo. La musica suena bien pero el idioma no ayuda al genero metal de voz del idioma espanol es diferente al ingles por lo tanto no tiene el mismo uso. A mi personalmente no me gusta

LALALALALALALA

Yo no pago para ir al Prog Power a escuchar bandas de metal de poder en espa~nol. JAJAJA para eso me voy a Madrid y lo eschucho alli.

For those that don't understand sorry.

Have you asked why the mayority of POWER METAL band from germany and europe courites that dont speak english, sing in english?

I don't see a problem in having a spanish singing band at ProgPower. So in other words, you wouldn't like to see bands such as Angra (they also sing songs/parts in portuguese), Orphaned Land (a few different languages), Rhapsody (Italian) playing at ProgPower?

I don't think you have to sing in English in order to be "good for metal", or to be good. In fact, I think that is pretty non sense. It's not like there's a rule saying "If you don't sing in English, therefore you're not Metal nor you're good to play at ProgPower..."

AngraRULES said:
I don't see a problem in having a spanish singing band at ProgPower. So in other words, you wouldn't like to see bands such as Angra (they also sing songs/parts in portuguese), Orphaned Land (a few different languages), Rhapsody (Italian) playing at ProgPower?

I don't think you have to sing in English in order to be "good for metal", or to be good. In fact, I think that is pretty non sense. It's not like there's a rule saying "If you don't sing in English, therefore you're not Metal nor you're good to play at ProgPower..."

Exactly,

it used to matter to me, I did not like metal in spanish, or german, or any other language until I heard Mago de Oz and the like(I'm gonna check Darksun :Spin: ), they put on a pretty good show and will not feel out of place in an event such as Prog Power, I bet 99% of the PP attendees will like them..specially Glen.

I mean, if you can put up with cheese such as Rhapsody and Manowar, why not a spanish folk-metal band??

PLUS, most good power bands are from Europe anyway? why not let them sing in their language too, it's the MUSIC that matters, isnt it?

peavy_fan said:
I don't think so.

Vamos a defender a la reina de los malignos. Es ridiculo. La musica suena bien pero el idioma no ayuda al genero metal de voz del idioma espanol es diferente al ingles por lo tanto no tiene el mismo uso. A mi personalmente no me gusta

LALALALALALALA

Yo no pago para ir al Prog Power a escuchar bandas de metal de poder en espa~nol. JAJAJA para eso me voy a Madrid y lo eschucho alli.

Ok, una cosa es q no te guste, otra es q digas q el idioma no ayuda el genero, wtf? q tiene q ver eso???

Quizas tu puedes pagar un viaje a Madrid pero yo no, asi q me gustaria verlos aca!!!

peavy_fan said:
Have you asked why the mayority of POWER METAL band from germany and europe courites that dont speak english, sing in english?

They sing in english because that helps them sell more...has nothing to do with making the music sound better or anything...plus I'd rather have someone sing in their own language than sing horribly-pronounced english, THAT takes away from the listening experience in my estimation.

i saw Mago de Oz in Monterrey Metal Fest II last May the 28th, and i think this band have many many non-metal fans, there were many teenagers (12-17 y.o) in the festival, only to see Mago de Oz, and the teenagers don't have had idea who are Motorhead, Danzig, Wasp, they only want to see Mago de Oz.

The show of Mago de Oz was good, they are 9 ! 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 1 flaute, 1 violin, 1 drummer, 1 voice,

Also, there was a very disgusting incident: After the Show, Mago de Oz destroyed the room in backstage and the hotel's room too (was displayed in local newspapers the morning after).... the reason? they wanted to play 15 minutes more, altering the schedule, the promotor said no, because could not alter the original schedule and the band exploded in rage

Sautherom said:
i saw Mago de Oz in Monterrey Metal Fest II last May the 28th, and i think this band have many many non-metal fans, there were many teenagers (12-17 y.o) in the festival, only to see Mago de Oz, and the teenagers don't have had idea who are Motorhead, Danzig, Wasp, they only want to see Mago de Oz.

The show of Mago de Oz was good, they are 9 ! 3 guitars, 1 bass, 1 keyboard, 1 flaute, 1 violin, 1 drummer, 1 voice,

Also, there was a very disgusting incident: After the Show, Mago de Oz destroyed the room in backstage and the hotel's room too (was displayed in local newspapers the morning after).... the reason? they wanted to play 15 minutes more, altering the schedule, the promotor said no, because could not alter the original schedule and the band exploded in rage

Awesome, thats so metal!!!lol :headbang:

No, really, they must be crazy.

TBJ said:
Awesome, thats so metal!!!lol :headbang:

No, really, they must be crazy.

I don't have experiencie like promoter, but by common sense... if some band are agree to firm a contract to play 75 minutes in a festival, i think, the band must to respect that. If the band, during the festival, wants to play 15 minutes more than specified in contract, this could be posible only if there are availability, if not.. sorry.. rules are rules..... i think so...

Mago de Oz are great musicians, but they have a "rock star" attitude.

Glenn
what happen if some band (not the headliners) want to play 15 minutes more than specified in contract? is possible to accept that?

TBJ said:
They sing in english because that helps them sell more...has nothing to do with making the music sound better or anything...plus I'd rather have someone sing in their own language than sing horribly-pronounced english, THAT takes away from the listening experience in my estimation.

Amen, hermano.

peavy_fan said:
I don't think so.

LALALALALALALA

Peavy Fan:
Tio... definitivamente Mago de Oz tiene muchos fans y detractores, tanto en España como en America Latina.

I enjoy to hear any band of any metal genere singing in another language different than english.... CATHARSIS sounds really great, singing in Russian. RAMMSTAIN in German.. etc..

I think.... while music is good metal, the language does not have to be a obstacle :headbang:

Sautherom said:
I don't have experiencie like promoter, but by common sense... if some band are agree to firm a contract to play 75 minutes in a festival, i think, the band must to respect that. If the band, during the festival, wants to play 15 minutes more than specified in contract, this could be posible only if there are availability, if not.. sorry.. rules are rules..... i think so...

Mago de Oz are great musicians, but they have a "rock star" attitude.

Glenn
what happen if some band (not the headliners) want to play 15 minutes more than specified in contract? is possible to accept that?

They get the curtain!! Just like Gamma Ray in PPIII!!:D

I don't think language is really a barrier for me. Heck, some people who sing in English are unintelligible anyway. :D

AngraRULES said:
If the music and melodies work, language shouldn't be a deal breaker. I have a few CDs by bands who don't use English at all; Finntroll and Moonsorrow (off the top of my head). I also have CDs in English, where what the vocalist is singing is so unintelligible, it might as well be another language.

What Mago de Oz CD should I check out? Thanks.

Zod