Making a compilation of PM - thoughts?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
So what do you reckon should go into a comp for people who've never really got into power metal (where they normally listen to everything but power metal)? There is so much to pick from, the compilation could really be make or break, therefore much thought is required lest they run away screaming like Michael Kiske on a bad hair day....

Do I vary it up to show the differences between, say, Euro (melody) vs US (aggression)? Or do I abandon geography and go with chronological order, showcasing a history of sorts starting with, say, Helloween and ending with something very 'modern' sounding?

I'm looking for 10 songs. Any ideas you guys can offer would be great! :Spin:

Good topic JK! Now let me think.......you've got to feature the following bands I think. Perhaps a double CD....Euro + US?

Euro (melodic)

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Labyrinth
Edguy
Kamelot
Power Quest (!)

I'll think on regarding the US side of things......and the specific songs for the above bands

Symphony said:
Euro (melodic)

Helloween
Gamma Ray
Stratovarius
Sonata Arctica
Labyrinth
Edguy
Kamelot
Power Quest (!)
Cool list! Now considering this is for people who prefer to walk on the 'dark side', got any suggestions for songs to make the foray a tad more gradual? For example, I would think something like Gamma Ray's "Damn the Machine" would be good since it sounds so much like Megadeth, and Edguy's "Nailed to the Wheel" since again it is so thrashy....?

Valo Nightstalker said:
i would also add to the list Lost Horizon, Nocturnal Rites
Yes! Definitely some Lost Horizon, and maybe some NR from Sacred Talisman. I might even be a bit daring and throw in the ballad, "Legend Lives On", just because it has one of the greatest PM solos of all time.

Good ideas!!! Keep 'em coming!

For Helloween...maybe something from "The Dark Ride". Escalation 666 perhaps?

Sonata Arctica.....rumour has it that the new album "Reckoning Night" will be heavier than previous material, although perhaps you could go for "The Cage" from Winterheart's Guild?

Very good question!!

For some examples.....I'd definitely vary it between:

1) Fast catchy tunes.....Power Quest - Temple Of Fire/Wings of Forever
2) Fast heavy tunes.....Sonata Arctica - Wolf And Raven/Wildfire
3) Anthemic tunes.....Stratovarius - Black Diamond
4) Mid Paced tunes.....Twilightnign - At The Forge
5) Ballads.....Edguy - Forever/Scarlet Rose

Some kind of running order such as past to present would be good too but as long as the tracks are well arranged it should be good either way. I wouldn't have any more than two ballads, and for someone not really into power metal, I would go easy on the agressive songs too. Maybe a couple of those.

btw Steve....I've heard a 4 track promo of the new Sonata Arctica and it's definitely got a heavier sound. Jani's new Ibanez 7 string comes into full effect on some tracks. It's sounding like the best thing they've done since Ecliptica and might even surpass that one!!

Yep, good ideas guys. I was thinking along the lines of Stratovarius "Black Diamond" too, or maybe "Kiss of Judas" because it has that heavy drum gallop to it. Sonata Arctica's "Fullmoon" might be good for it's catchiness....

I do still think that 10-12 songs would be a good introduction, otherwise you could 'oversaturate' the listener a bit? And I do think some more 'attacking' metal is needed in order to balance out all the euro-pop melodies...

For example, how about some selections from Iced Earth, Jag Panzer, Nevermore, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Falconer, Mercenary, or Demons & Wizards? Any particular standout songs?

Not sure what to choose from Angra or Blind Guardian? Early Angra is almost proggy, and early Blind Guardian is speed metal, and although both excellent, not very representative of the genre?

And of course I'll skip Hammerfall and Rhapsody on this first go round I think! The cheese factor might kill the newcomer, heh.

Okay, I'll have a go at listing a decent compilation with some variety and see what everyones thoughts are.....

1) Power Quest - Wings Of Forever (fast/catchy/symphonic)
2) Blind Guardian - Into The Storm (agressive/fast/catchy)
3) Iced Earth - The Reckoning (aggressive)
4) Sonata Arctica - The Cage/Full Moon (fast/catchy/symphonic)
5) Twilightning - At The Forge (mid paced/anthemic)
6) Vanishing Point - Bring On The Rain (ballad)
7) Axenstar - Blind Leading The Blind (mid-paced/catchy)
8) Gamma Ray - Heart Of The Unicorn (heavy/anthemic)
9) Helloween - I Want Out/Dr Stein (Catchy)
10) Kamelot - The Fourth Legacy (anthemic)
11) Masterplan - Enlighten Me (heavy)
12) Stratovarius - Black Diamond (fast/anthemic)
13) Nevermore - Believe In Nothing (slow/heavy)
14) Edguy - Forever (ballad)

Okay, it's more than 12 but it will fit on a CD. Any thoughts?

Dream Thief said:
Very good question!!

For some examples.....I'd definitely vary it between:

1) Fast catchy tunes.....Power Quest - Temple Of Fire/Wings of Forever
2) Fast heavy tunes.....Sonata Arctica - Wolf And Raven/Wildfire
3) Anthemic tunes.....Stratovarius - Black Diamond
4) Mid Paced tunes.....Twilightnign - At The Forge
5) Ballads.....Edguy - Forever/Scarlet Rose

Some kind of running order such as past to present would be good too but as long as the tracks are well arranged it should be good either way. I wouldn't have any more than two ballads, and for someone not really into power metal, I would go easy on the agressive songs too. Maybe a couple of those.

btw Steve....I've heard a 4 track promo of the new Sonata Arctica and it's definitely got a heavier sound. Jani's new Ibanez 7 string comes into full effect on some tracks. It's sounding like the best thing they've done since Ecliptica and might even surpass that one!!
Thanks for tip off on Reckoning Night mate.....really looking forward to this one. Hoping it will be one of the highlights of '04!

You know, I just realized we all forgot Avantasia. We should all flog ourselves with bamboo canes for forgetting one of the best euro-PM albums ever!!! :loco: "Breaking Away" perhaps, or "Sign of the Cross"?

Angra - Wuthering Heights! :D

I Want Out by Helloween is essential, even if you put no other songs on there. Hell, everyone should be required to own the two Keeper albums by law :loco:

Here's my own humble list. If you REALLY want to get someone hooked on Power Metal, let them hear these tunes:

Power Quest- Far Away

Nigthwish- Deep, Silent, Complete

Blind Guardian- And The Story Ends

Hammerfall- Dreamland

Iced Earth- The Dark Saga

Therion- Midgard

Children Of Bodom- Bodom After Midnight

Sinergy- Gallowmere

Odes Of Ecstasy- One With the Darkness

Angel Dust- Bleed

But we all know that there is so much more good songs from these bands in addition to other bands that good. There's just too many to mention!!!!!!