Recent Haul Thoughts

Apr 3, 2004
Nashville, TN
Hey Gang,

Last night i posted my thoughts on some recent PP XI discs but I have also purchased some other discs and wanted to share my thoughts. I had so much fun with the PP cd's that i think I will continue that tradition and pick up cd's from the bands that are playing at PP that I am not familiar with. Every Year I try to take a newbie to PP and i have another newbie coming with me this year. This was the first year that I have burned cd's from the bands that are playing this year. he just received the 2nd seventh wonder cd and he loves this band. Needless to say it has been lots of fun. So lets get on to the music.

Winger - IV - I am a huge winger fan and kip winger is one of my favorite vocalists. I don't know why i waited so long to get this disc but I did. This is not your typical Winger Album. Songs are moody and the melodies are sometimes hard to find. Unusual for a Winger album because most of the time Kip puts the melody right in your face. If you are a fan of his solo material I would say this is a heavier version of his solo stuff. This is almost a cross between pull and his solo stuff with more emphasis on the solo material. Production is thick and kip sounds fantastic as usual. I did find it hard to get into the vibe of this cd but I do enjoy it. Not my favorite Winger cd but still a good buy.

Winger - Demo Anthology - I had to have this. All the old songs we grew up with plus some new ones that i have never heard. This is a GREAT CD!! the old songs are not jazzed up and have a much rawer sound which to me gives them a much harder edge than the versions we know. Even songs like Seventeen and Easy Come Easy Go sound as if they belong on the Pulll album. This is over 2 hours of demo songs and any fan of Winger needs to own this. Great production which surprised me. Guitars are much heavier and the speed of the songs is a tad bit slower as well giving the songs a much HEAVIER feel to them. This was a great buy for me and I love this purchase.

Winger - Karma - I have to agree with Glenn on this one. This disc is absolutely amazing. The boys did everything right on this outing. Songs are heavy and very melodic. kip sounds amazing and shows he can still sing. I have nothing bad art all to say about this album. Not a bad song on here. This is the BEST rock record I have ever purchased. I don't care if you are not a Winger fan, i promise you will like this cd. I know they got a bad wrap for being a cheesy pretty boy band. Well, this is not pretty boy music. My favorite song on the album is Pull Me Under, one of my top songs of the year. Do yourself a favor and go buy this cd, you will not be disappointed.

This leads me to a question for Glenn. I have no idea about costs for bands but would there ever be a possibility to get these guys? They don't seem to tour much in the states. I know before Dio got back with his band you were really wanting him to play PP. Just curious on this one.

Whyzdom - From The Brink Of Infinity - I bought this cd after reading Glenn's top 20 this year. This looked very interesting so I thought why not. Remember female fronted metal bands are 50/50 with me. I have to say that Glenn's description of the music is spot on. This cd sounds amazing. the production on this thing just slaps you in the face. AWESOME!! This is about the only thing i can say positive about the disc. I found the music to drag a bit and nothing was exciting. Sure it sounded great but it did not get my attention. My real problem was the singer, I have to give Glenn props, he did warn us on his review. I do not like the singer for this band. Her voice to me does not fit with this music. Because I can't get into her, I will not continue following this band. Fans of early nightwish will probably like this.

Manamal - The Darkest Room - This is another cd i bought after reading Glenn's top 20. Fromn his review, this sounded like something I might like and you know what....... I DO!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn was dead on with his review. This is straight ahead metal. The songs are short and sweet and have some serious crunch. This cd has riff after riff!!! You will get a speeding ticket if you have this on when you are driving. The singer is a high pitched guy and he sings in the upper register most of the time. If you do not like the high pitched guys, stay away. If you can handle them, go buy this cd. Songs are very short and the cd just flies by. Not a weak song on this album. Glenn, thank you for the introduction to this awesome band. i will continue following these guys. One more thing... BRING THEM TO PP!!! this is the type of band that will totally demolish the stage. GREAT CD!!!!

Powerwolf - Lupus Dei - I can't remember who said on here that this was a good power metal band but after reading his comments i decided why not. I am a power guy and always looking for something new. This was a total blind buy for me so I had no idea what to expect. This is very catchy power metal. The music is very catchy and the band is very good. They are not inventing the wheel but what they do they do it very well. These guys remind me a lot of sabaton. I am willing to go out on a limb and say if you like sabaton, you will like these guys. i find their music to be very similar. Powerwolf is more theatrical than sabaton. I would say the standout for Powerwolf is the vocalist. This guy has some serious pipes. Has a gritty style similar to the guy from sabaton but this guy has much more power and range in his voice. These guys write some catchy songs and have huge choruses. The lyrics are pretty cheesy but when you have this much fun listening to the cd, who cares. great buy and hope to see them grace the stage at PP.

Powerwolf - Bible Of The Beast - Liked the other one so much I decided to get another cd from this band. Everything I said about Lupus Dei, well multiply it and it is on this cd. The production is better. The production on this cd is very good and very heavy making the music sound much heavier this time around. The choruses are HUGE on this cd and very easy to sing to. Vocals again are the standout. This guy has some serious grit in his voice but he has a VERY good range and is very melodic. I love this guy. The guitars are very crunchy this time out but there are less solos on this outing. That would typically bug me but because of the vocals and choirs used, i don't miss them. The lyrics again are cheesy but looking at the band, i don't think these guys take themselves too seriously. This cd has more of a haunting feel to it due to the church organs throughout. Another great cd. Music is fun, catchy and easy to sing along to. Again, I am willing to bet if you are a fan of sabaton, you will like these guys. Another power band that I think would do fantastic on the PP stage.

Thanks for reading and I hope you will comment. i love seeing where we all agree and disagree.

Thanks,

Brand

hahahah, you call that a haul? this is just in the last 2 weeks.

Halloween - "No One Gets Out!" - great old band from Detroit. I alwasy written this band off as a joke. Everything about them just seemed generic until a month ago when I can across some Youtube vids. Anyone a fan of traditional metal with clean high vocals will instantly be a fan. Lots of power metal touches with lyrics in the horror vien. I reall recommmend checking these guys out. All thier disc are hard to get but the band sells them through thier myspace.

Halloween - "Horror Fire" - thier latest one. Still keeps up the same quality as thier early stuff. Which is rare for these types of bands.

Deceased- "Supernatural Addiction" - I wrote these guys off for a long time too. I always just pictured generic death metal. I recently got into October 31 so I was interested in hearing King Fowleys other band. Holy smokes. The later output from this band is pure brutal traditional heavy metal mixed with some death metal touches. The vocals are on the heavy side but not cookie monster vocals. The music is well played with lots of variety so power metal fans who want to try something different....this is the band worth looking into.

Dream Evil - "In The Night" - love them or hate them. They write great catchy stuff.

Dealer - "Bootlegged" - a re-issue of a smaller NWOBHM / traditional metal act from the 80's. Really good stuff for any fan of early metal / hard rock.

Witchfynde - "Give Em Hell" - classic NWOBHM / doom stuff. Pretty dark brooding stuff. I havent had time to really sit and listen to the full disc yet.

Tygers of Pan Tang - "Mystical" - this is an amazing band. Been around for decades but most metal fans have no clue of this band. Any fan of hard rock needs to get their stuff asap. The Mystical disc was released in thier crap era. Everything that made this band great isnt in this disc.

Zuul - "Out of Time" - brand new release. Great dirty sounding rock / metal. Singer has been said to sound like Paul DiAnno.

Deceased - "Zombie Hymns" - a disc full of heavy metal covers ranging from Exciter to Kreator to VoiVod to Saxon to Iron Maiden. A really fun disc to hear a different take on classic songs.

Deceased - "Behind the Mourners Veil" - this is as far back as I will delve into thier discography. This is the disc that you could hear the change in generic death metal to what they are today.

Death Dealer - "Coercion To Kill" - great canadian classic metal / NWOBHM band. Dont let the generic name fool you. Great catchy hard rock influenced stuff.

Ruffians - "Desert of Tears" - great melodic hard rock / metal from SF. Used to have more of a NWOBHM vibe to thier early stuff. Now matured into melodic hard rock / light power metal.

At Vance - "Ride the Sky" - one of the most overlooked power metal bands of all time. Always put out solid released. Havent had a chance to put on this one yet.

Hellish War - "Defender of Metal / Heroes of Tomorrow" double disc - both of the bands disc on one set. Pretty good power metal / traditional metal from Brazil. No new ground broken here but Hellish War play that pure Iron Maidenish sound of metal.

Widow - "Nightlife" - another one of the many overlooked US metal bands. Clean vocals with a modern true metal vibe running through their music. Reminds me of White Wizzard.

Tygers of Pan Tang - "Noises from the Cat House" - another disc of the classic band released in thier not so good era. I am a completist so I want to get everything. I have all thier great stuff...now just filling in the gaps.

Praying Mantis - "The Journey Goes On" - great melodic hard rock. once a classic NWOBHM band....now hard rock...now a power metal act with thier latest. The disc though delves more into the melodic hard rock genre. Not a classic but still a strong release.

Speedtrap - "Raw Deal" - pure new wave of NWOBHM mixed with speed metal. Super high vocals like Enforcer. I have a feeling these guys will move up pretty quick once word gets out about them. The only thing that bugs me are the vocals. Something about them kind of bother me. People have claimed them as Diamond Head played at a faster speed.

Leatherwolf - "self titled" - classic disc. early powerish metal. havent had time to sit and fully listen to this yet though.

Skullview - "Kings of the Universe" - heavy metal / power metal from Indiana. Holy smokes....some great stuff. High vocals mixed with true metal. definite for fans of Manowar / early Iced Earth. I was shocked when I saw they were from Indiana.

Bloodlust - "Guilty as Sin" ex Abbatoir vocalist band. Pure 80's speed metal with vocals on the higher end. Really catchy stuff.

The Clan Destined - "In the Big Ending" - such an od band and odd story and now a band full of in fighting. the main songwritter / vocalist is Martin Walkyier from Sabbat / Skyclad. other members / guest include Andy Sneap / James Murphy and Iscariah from Immortal. The bands plays what would be Skyclad if Martin didnt leave the band. Not a folk band but you can hear some of the Skyclad later sound in this. Really worth checking out.

Tysondog - "Beware of the Dog" - one of the lesser known NWOBHM acts. pretty good stuff. Nothing groundbreaking but pure NWOBHM / hard rockish stuff. very catchy.

October 31 - "The Fire Awaits You" - one of the best traditional metal acts from the US. Really heavy stuff with harsher vocals but still remaining very catchy.

Halloween - "Detroit's Heavy Metal Horror Show" - the classic disc by this band. this is the one anyone should pick up who has any interest in checking these guys out.

Halloween - "E.vil P.ieces" - an EP with a few new songs and some classic songs redone.

Shok Paris - "Steel and Starlight" - great 80's metal act. never a fan back then but my taste have changed and I gave thema chance. Really good stuff.

Skullview - "Legends of Valor" - another disc by this amazing band. Pure Manowar / Iced Earth / classic US trad metal sound.

Destructor - "Forever in Leather" great US thrash / speed / true metal band. Realyl good band for anyone who is into the thrashier side of true metal. Lots of good hooks and stuff too. Recommened highly.

Abattior - "The Only Safe Place" - holy amazing speed metal from the 80's. High vocals mixed with amazing guitar playing that never slows down makes this one a keeper. Really worth hunting down.

Amulance - "Feel The Pain" - I was browsing Youtube and came across thier vids and was blown away. Much like Abattior. Great high pitch vocals mixed with great speed and agression but full of melody. I cant recommend this band enough.

October 31 - "Visions of the End" - another release by this amazing cult / tradtional metal band.

October 31 - "Meet thy Maker" - more of the same. The quality of this band gets better and better with each disc.

Helevet's Port - "Exodus to Hell" - at first it seems like they are goofing on the whole NWOBHM look and sound. But these guys pull out all the stops when playing. Really a good disc. The vocals are kind of on the lower deeper end but very clean. Reminds me if Tyr's vocalist was singing NWOBHM.

Tyrant - "The Tyrant Anthology" - Holy smokes....if Blind Guardian was in the ealry 80's. this is what they would be like. Great high powered power metal with a touch of NWOBHM. This disc is fantastic from start to finish. Very catchy stuff with amazing vocals.

I also picked up the new "KEEP IT TRUE" festival DVD number 11 and the Keep it True Festival Book. Both are manditory if you are a fan of NWOBHM and Tradtional metal. The book is amazing full of reviews and stories from the fest. Plus it is cool to hear the guy who runs it be honest as hell about who let him down and issues with bands and stuff. Plus hearing from the bands about the fest is really cool to. The DVD number 11 has Nasty Savage who has gotten super fat, Tokyo Blade, Hellhound, Flotsam and Jetsam and others.

The last iten is the "Headbangers Open Air Festival DVD", great line up....Grim Reaper, Halloween, At War, Sodom, Praying Mantis, Lethal, Avegners, Picture, and many others....really great quality and behind the fest scenes and so on.

next month I plan on doing another major haul....cant wait.

Halloween - "No One Gets Out!" - great old band from Detroit. I alwasy written this band off as a joke. Everything about them just seemed generic until a month ago when I can across some Youtube vids. Anyone a fan of traditional metal with clean high vocals will instantly be a fan. Lots of power metal touches with lyrics in the horror vien. I reall recommmend checking these guys out. All thier disc are hard to get but the band sells them through thier myspace.

Halloween - "Horror Fire" - thier latest one. Still keeps up the same quality as thier early stuff. Which is rare for these types of bands.

Deceased- "Supernatural Addiction" - I wrote these guys off for a long time too. I always just pictured generic death metal. I recently got into October 31 so I was interested in hearing King Fowleys other band. Holy smokes. The later output from this band is pure brutal traditional heavy metal mixed with some death metal touches. The vocals are on the heavy side but not cookie monster vocals. The music is well played with lots of variety so power metal fans who want to try something different....this is the band worth looking into.

Dream Evil - "In The Night" - love them or hate them. They write great catchy stuff.

Dealer - "Bootlegged" - a re-issue of a smaller NWOBHM / traditional metal act from the 80's. Really good stuff for any fan of early metal / hard rock.

Witchfynde - "Give Em Hell" - classic NWOBHM / doom stuff. Pretty dark brooding stuff. I havent had time to really sit and listen to the full disc yet.

Tygers of Pan Tang - "Mystical" - this is an amazing band. Been around for decades but most metal fans have no clue of this band. Any fan of hard rock needs to get their stuff asap. The Mystical disc was released in thier crap era. Everything that made this band great isnt in this disc.

Zuul - "Out of Time" - brand new release. Great dirty sounding rock / metal. Singer has been said to sound like Paul DiAnno.

Deceased - "Zombie Hymns" - a disc full of heavy metal covers ranging from Exciter to Kreator to VoiVod to Saxon to Iron Maiden. A really fun disc to hear a different take on classic songs.

Deceased - "Behind the Mourners Veil" - this is as far back as I will delve into thier discography. This is the disc that you could hear the change in generic death metal to what they are today.

Death Dealer - "Coercion To Kill" - great canadian classic metal / NWOBHM band. Dont let the generic name fool you. Great catchy hard rock influenced stuff.

Ruffians - "Desert of Tears" - great melodic hard rock / metal from SF. Used to have more of a NWOBHM vibe to thier early stuff. Now matured into melodic hard rock / light power metal.

At Vance - "Ride the Sky" - one of the most overlooked power metal bands of all time. Always put out solid released. Havent had a chance to put on this one yet.

Hellish War - "Defender of Metal / Heroes of Tomorrow" double disc - both of the bands disc on one set. Pretty good power metal / traditional metal from Brazil. No new ground broken here but Hellish War play that pure Iron Maidenish sound of metal.

Widow - "Nightlife" - another one of the many overlooked US metal bands. Clean vocals with a modern true metal vibe running through their music. Reminds me of White Wizzard.

Tygers of Pan Tang - "Noises from the Cat House" - another disc of the classic band released in thier not so good era. I am a completist so I want to get everything. I have all thier great stuff...now just filling in the gaps.

Praying Mantis - "The Journey Goes On" - great melodic hard rock. once a classic NWOBHM band....now hard rock...now a power metal act with thier latest. The disc though delves more into the melodic hard rock genre. Not a classic but still a strong release.

Speedtrap - "Raw Deal" - pure new wave of NWOBHM mixed with speed metal. Super high vocals like Enforcer. I have a feeling these guys will move up pretty quick once word gets out about them. The only thing that bugs me are the vocals. Something about them kind of bother me. People have claimed them as Diamond Head played at a faster speed.

Leatherwolf - "self titled" - classic disc. early powerish metal. havent had time to sit and fully listen to this yet though.

Skullview - "Kings of the Universe" - heavy metal / power metal from Indiana. Holy smokes....some great stuff. High vocals mixed with true metal. definite for fans of Manowar / early Iced Earth. I was shocked when I saw they were from Indiana.

Bloodlust - "Guilty as Sin" ex Abbatoir vocalist band. Pure 80's speed metal with vocals on the higher end. Really catchy stuff.

The Clan Destined - "In the Big Ending" - such an od band and odd story and now a band full of in fighting. the main songwritter / vocalist is Martin Walkyier from Sabbat / Skyclad. other members / guest include Andy Sneap / James Murphy and Iscariah from Immortal. The bands plays what would be Skyclad if Martin didnt leave the band. Not a folk band but you can hear some of the Skyclad later sound in this. Really worth checking out.

Tysondog - "Beware of the Dog" - one of the lesser known NWOBHM acts. pretty good stuff. Nothing groundbreaking but pure NWOBHM / hard rockish stuff. very catchy.

October 31 - "The Fire Awaits You" - one of the best traditional metal acts from the US. Really heavy stuff with harsher vocals but still remaining very catchy.

Halloween - "Detroit's Heavy Metal Horror Show" - the classic disc by this band. this is the one anyone should pick up who has any interest in checking these guys out.

Halloween - "E.vil P.ieces" - an EP with a few new songs and some classic songs redone.

Shok Paris - "Steel and Starlight" - great 80's metal act. never a fan back then but my taste have changed and I gave thema chance. Really good stuff.

Skullview - "Legends of Valor" - another disc by this amazing band. Pure Manowar / Iced Earth / classic US trad metal sound.

Destructor - "Forever in Leather" great US thrash / speed / true metal band. Realyl good band for anyone who is into the thrashier side of true metal. Lots of good hooks and stuff too. Recommened highly.

Abattior - "The Only Safe Place" - holy amazing speed metal from the 80's. High vocals mixed with amazing guitar playing that never slows down makes this one a keeper. Really worth hunting down.

Amulance - "Feel The Pain" - I was browsing Youtube and came across thier vids and was blown away. Much like Abattior. Great high pitch vocals mixed with great speed and agression but full of melody. I cant recommend this band enough.

October 31 - "Visions of the End" - another release by this amazing cult / tradtional metal band.

October 31 - "Meet thy Maker" - more of the same. The quality of this band gets better and better with each disc.

Helevet's Port - "Exodus to Hell" - at first it seems like they are goofing on the whole NWOBHM look and sound. But these guys pull out all the stops when playing. Really a good disc. The vocals are kind of on the lower deeper end but very clean. Reminds me if Tyr's vocalist was singing NWOBHM.

Tyrant - "The Tyrant Anthology" - Holy smokes....if Blind Guardian was in the ealry 80's. this is what they would be like. Great high powered power metal with a touch of NWOBHM. This disc is fantastic from start to finish. Very catchy stuff with amazing vocals.

I also picked up the new "KEEP IT TRUE" festival DVD number 11 and the Keep it True Festival Book. Both are manditory if you are a fan of NWOBHM and Tradtional metal. The book is amazing full of reviews and stories from the fest. Plus it is cool to hear the guy who runs it be honest as hell about who let him down and issues with bands and stuff. Plus hearing from the bands about the fest is really cool to. The DVD number 11 has Nasty Savage who has gotten super fat, Tokyo Blade, Hellhound, Flotsam and Jetsam and others.

The last iten is the "Headbangers Open Air Festival DVD", great line up....Grim Reaper, Halloween, At War, Sodom, Praying Mantis, Lethal, Avegners, Picture, and many others....really great quality and behind the fest scenes and so on.

Wow; you seriously have way too much time on your hands:loco:

yeah...this was all in a 2 week period. I usually average about 4 disc a week. I listen to a CD a day on the way and back from work on the train plus at night while I am on the computer also. I order lots and also go to Metal Haven ( metal CD shop ) that is really close by me. I wish I had more time to listen to stuff. Seems like there is never enough time.

Blind Guardian was around in the 80s and made their best cd, in the 80s..all those cds and only a few good ones, its a shame

I can't compete with Diabolik's metal appetite!
But anyway....Halloween from Detroit is a really cool band who I've been able to see a few times.
Tygers of Pan Tang have been on my "to check out" list for a while but I don't have anything by them yet. The only disc I've seen in stores is their newest one, and for long-running bands, I don't like to start with their newest output.

I can't compete with Diabolik's metal appetite!
But anyway....Halloween from Detroit is a really cool band who I've been able to see a few times.
Tygers of Pan Tang have been on my "to check out" list for a while but I don't have anything by them yet. The only disc I've seen in stores is their newest one, and for long-running bands, I don't like to start with their newest output.

The newest Tygers is actually really good but more hard rock than anything. I wold start with Spellbound which can be found on Ebay at a decent price. Then from there you can go in either direction....slowly move forward or just get Wildcat and Crazy Nights. I also really like Burning in the Shade and The Wreck-Age. Those last two are really hard rock influenced but with the Tygers sound.

Halloween are a very underrated band I wish more people would check out.

My jaw dropped when I saw mention of that old Tysondog album. I had that on vinyl an eternity ago, not sure whatever happened to it, and was unaware it was even available on CD. It's been ages since I even thought about that band much less heard the name. I think I may have to correct that oversight as I recall liking that album back in the day.

I order lots and also go to Metal Haven ( metal CD shop ) that is really close by me.

From BraveWords:

"Another independent record store is calling it quits: According to the Chicago Reader, Chicago metal mainstay Metal Haven is going out of business. Currently on Montrose after moving from its longtime Lakeview location a couple years back, Metal Haven departs after 10-plus years of being the Windy City's go-to-source for guttural vocals, buzz-sawing riffs, and dead-waking blastbeats.

The Reader reports that Metal Haven announced the news via its MySpace page in the form of a flyer for an “Armageddon sale,” which began last week. The sale gives consumers 15 percent off non-new release items, with discounts expected to grow larger."

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/metal-haven-closes-after-10-years-of-business,37744/

From BraveWords:

"Another independent record store is calling it quits: According to the Chicago Reader, Chicago metal mainstay Metal Haven is going out of business. Currently on Montrose after moving from its longtime Lakeview location a couple years back, Metal Haven departs after 10-plus years of being the Windy City's go-to-source for guttural vocals, buzz-sawing riffs, and dead-waking blastbeats.

The Reader reports that Metal Haven announced the news via its MySpace page in the form of a flyer for an “Armageddon sale,” which began last week. The sale gives consumers 15 percent off non-new release items, with discounts expected to grow larger."

http://www.avclub.com/chicago/articles/metal-haven-closes-after-10-years-of-business,37744/

yeah....I heard ( old news for some ). This is really going to stink since I can literally walk there. I have gone there for the past 8 years almost every weekend. I maybe miss like 3 or 4 weekends a year. Lots of free time opening up for me. The store will surely be missed.

Tysondog rules, need to get their Shoot to Kill EP and Beware of the Dog for sure...Bob you get Wolfbane from SKR yet? you fucking need it! killer NWOBHM

Tysondog rules, need to get their Shoot to Kill EP and Beware of the Dog for sure...Bob you get Wolfbane from SKR yet? you fucking need it! killer NWOBHM

yeah...picked up that one about a month ago....I thought it was just OK....a little to much on the slower side but still a good disc. The one downfall of all th NWOBHM stuff....there is just way to much of it.

I am really enjoying the Tysondog disc. Really good stuff. I have the 2 full lengths...I need the EP now too.

This is like one of my weeks. Always wondered if there were other people out there who had the disease as bad as I do. HAHA
Running a label and shop is good because it makes it easy to get things but it is bad because I end up with too much. Seriously not all bands are worth owning yet I have them. Really I need help.

This one for the win!

One of the best US heavy metal albums ever. This is like the perfect mixture of Iron Maiden and Agent Steel :)

c.

Really good album but I don't think it really stuck out much from the hundreds of other metal acts at the time do the same thing.
Also think the label did a bad job with the reissue from a few years back.