Man - this place is like a ghost town.....

StocktontoMalone

The Cynical Realist
Dec 12, 2002
Tiverton, RI
Visit site
I visit here about 5 tiimes, daily.....I'm more of a lurker, actually.

Well - as the voice of cynicism on this board......I just don't have anything to say.......lol

Been listening to alot of different music lately. Spend most of my time on the Heavy Harmonies message board, and on melodicrock.com

Listening to alot of new stuff like: Starbreaker w/ Tony Harnell, Gotthard, Danger Danger, .....etc.

Still waiting for an ENCHANT gig closer to the east coast. And still in awe of 'Ultimate gift', 'Paint the Picture', and "The Thirst'

I try not to seem like I'm ingratiating myself here...I still kick myself for not attending the Oakland gig.....

I like Starbreaker, it's a good project, but far from the best Tony Harnell has ever released. I'd go for the first Westworld album (S/T) or TNT's "Intuition", and I liked the solo album he did with Al Pitrelli some years ago. ;)

As for Gotthard, I felt a bit disappointed with their last album, "Lipservice". This band has been through two different stages over the years: they started off as a strong hard rock band with an american sound (pretty good and way heavier than nowadays), and they went on heading for a rather melodic but mature sound that I thought was their splendor unfolded. I really think that "Open" is their best record and "Homerun", "G" and even "Human Zoo" follow it closely. But this new one is easy going, admittedly catchy on the whole, definitely not bad but... hey, after five brilliant albums they come back with a "it's ok" type of album? Can't believe it...

Danger Danger, Monkey Bussiness. That's all I have to say.

I'm pretty much into hard rock and AOR, so I can give some advice about it. ;)

|ng.

P.S: I also like Grand Illusion, go find the tune "The Hunter and the Fox" from their first album. :)

I'm lurking as well. Listening to the new DT, Blackfield, the new Porcupine Tree, and trying to give Glass Hammer a try but it hasn't quite hooked me yet.

And I'm probably going to pop "The Wall" into my rotation pretty soon.

Oh, and want a recommendation? Michele Luppi's new record, entitled as "Strive", kicks some serious asses. I noticed this italian singer in the last Vision Divine album, but I never got into that band so much, so I enjoyed the vocals so far.

Now, this talented singer has released his first solo album, and it's absolutely wonderful. :) Try it out.

|ng (Another daily visitor)

|ngenius said:
I like Starbreaker, it's a good project, but far from the best Tony Harnell has ever released.

Starbreaker is a double-edged thing for me. I also am a huge fan of the guitarist/songwriter, Magnus Karlsson(?sp). His work with/in Last Tribe is spectacular. On Starbreaker, I love Tony's work, but I'm not a huge fan of the tone & songs overall. Fortunately, Karlsson is also finalizing and preparing to release what must be a monster of a record in collaboration with Russell Allen & Jorn Lande splitting vocal duties. This puppy is going to suh-MOKE! Oh, it's going to be released under the artist name, Lande-Allen or Lande/Allen or something..

|ngenius said:
Danger Danger, Monkey Bussiness. That's all I have to say.

"When she's good, she's good; when she's bad, she's better!"

MRNot said:
This puppy is going to suh-MOKE! Oh, it's going to be released under the artist name, Lande-Allen or Lande/Allen or something..

Yeah, I'm looking forward to its release date, I hope Jorn will do a superb job and who knows? Maybe he will split up with Masterplan, which would be good news for me. I know, I know, lots of people like that band, but I don't. And when they play live, they set the guitars so high that you barely can hear the vocals, so when Lande's singing and you see him struggle for his voice to be heard, you can't but wonder if he's gonna last long as a singer.

Btw, I had the chance to see live Jorn Lande with Millenium when they released "Hourglass" and it was one of the most intense non-sexual experiences I've ever lived. That's why now I can't believe he's fooling around with Masterplan. :yuk:

I'm also really eager to see what Phillip Bardowell (Unruly Child) is gonna do in his new solo album, I loved UC III thanks to his vocals. :)

MRNot said:
"When she's good, she's good; when she's bad, she's better!"

Hahahaha, nice quote, but it's not from the "Monkey Bussiness" cut, is it? Can't remember the song where that excerpt appears, exactly.

|ng.

|ngenius said:
Yeah, I'm looking forward to its release date, I hope Jorn will do a superb job and who knows? Maybe he will split up with Masterplan..
Interesting PoV there.. I'm not that disappointed with Masterplan overall (AERONAUTICS is considerably better, IMO, than the debut), but I, too, would be pissed to go see Masterplan and not be able to hear him sing. I generally find live mixes to be annoying one way or the other, but what can you do? A large percentage of rock-concert-goers seem to survive by volume alone, so the engineers provide for the majority, I guess..
|ngenius said:
Btw, I had the chance to see live Jorn Lande with Millenium when they released "Hourglass" and it was one of the most intense non-sexual experiences I've ever lived.
Wow! I bet that was cool. That album definitely had me excited for the future of Millenium, and I was greatly disappointed when Jorn went off to join Myselfsteen(tm). I wish I could get a good copy of the bonus track from HOURGLASS, but I'm not paying for the whole Japanese pressing for one song, even if it IS Jorn singing "Surrender."

(re: UC/Bardowell) I, too, liked that album (still mostly partial to the debut & to World Trade - S/T, but UCIII was better than WAITING FOR THE SUN, imo). I didn't know Bardowell was working on a solo record. Any info on who's going to be backing him up and who producing/engineering?
|ngenius said:
Hahahaha, nice quote, but it's not from the "Monkey Bussiness" cut, is it? Can't remember the song where that excerpt appears, exactly.

|ng.
That's from "When She's Good, She's Good" from COCKROACH (may have been re-recorded for FOUR THE HARD WAY, but I don't remember). I was just musing on the meaning behind "Monkey Business," using contemporary wording..