Manowar Philly Review

DarkOne

Black Belt in Sarcasm
May 2, 2002
Philadelphia
Visit site
I saw Manowar, Rhapsody, and HolyHell Thurs evening in Philadelphia.

The show was slated for 8 pm, and HolyHell took the stage at 7:59! Impressive. I've included the set lists in the review, so skip it if you don't want to know them.

The opening band was the female fronted HolyHell

HolyHell

Set List
---------
Original Song
Original Song (Angels Above?)
Wings of Destiny (Rhapsody cover)
Phantom of the Opera (w/ Eric Adams)
Rising Force (Yngwie Malmsteen cover)

Not much to say. They weren't bad. The two original songs were a little slow, but decent. I liked the second one. The Rhapsody cover was also slow, but obviously worked well given the audience. Phantom was excellent, showing off vocalist Maria's pipes. Actually, Adams really blew me away with that song, because he sang it so well. Very impressive. HH did very well with Rising Force. It was a high energy song, and showed that they can rock. Then again, any guitarist is going to look a little pale in comparision to Yngwie. Maria's vocals reminded me of an underpowered Doro Pesche. Pretty good, but needing a little more force.

HH played for about 25 minutes.

Rhapsody

After a short break, Rhapsody came on. I like the band, own most of the albms, but never was THAT into them. However, they played a very tight set. The step up in musical talent from HolyHell was astounding, and HH was decent in that regard. Fabio Leone's vocals were perfect, hitting the soft and high notes, and being generally unintelligable, as good Italian metal vocalists should be.

My only major gripe about Rhapsody (other than not playing Rage of the Winter) was the use of piped in choruses. Not one band member sang the chorus to any song. Instead, they used recordings to accompany Fabio. I'd rather have heard them with no extras than use taped backgrounds, giving some choruses a karaoke feel. It cheapened it a little for me, even though they were still very good. Rhapsody played for about an hour.

Oh, Fabio told us that we were the "best audience they've seen". Uh huh. :D

Set List
-----------
The Dark Secret
Unholy war cry
Fabio speaks
Wisdom of the kings
Village of Dwarves
Erian's white book
Bass Solo
Drum Solo
Dawn of victory
Lamente Erocio (Italian)
Nightfall on Grey Mountains
Encore
March of the swordmaster
Emerald Sword

After a very long break, Manowar finally came out. I had seen them once before, but I was still impressed this time around. Adams can still hit every high note, low note every growl, and every scream. The man just has an incredible range and vocal stamina. The rest of the band was impressive as well, though as usual, Joey DeMaio was a little too into his bass solos. He also got in the typical Manowar rant (we're the only true band, everyone else are pussies, etc). Heh. It wouldn't be a Manowar show without it, right.

They played a nice range of songs. I have some favorites that were skipped, but they have a huge catalog. I wouldn't have minded another song instead of a solo, but I can't complain. The highlight of the show was the end, which starts with the slow intro to Hail and Kill. You could see the crowd shifting, as the mosh pits were being readied. From there, they ended the set with four fast, aggessive songs, and the crowd was going wild. Overall, they played for about 90 minutes.

Manowar

Manowar
Brothers of Metal
Call to Arms
Guitar Solo
Kings of Metal
Sign of the Hammer
Bass Solo
Warriors of the World
Heart of Steel
Hail and Kill
Outlaw
Into the House of Death
The Power
Encore
Black Wind, Fire and Steel

Overall, an enjoyable high energy show, with three good bands. :headbang:

Steve in Philly

Nice review, just got back from the show in Worcester.. $30 for a RHAPSODY T-shirt (Im sure manowar had something to do w/ that one, I was pissed, but still forked over the $$).

I enjoyed Holy Hell, Eric Adams came out and did a duet w/ the mildly attractive after a few beers female singer for Nightwish's - Phantom of the Opera, (keyboard player butchered the fuck out of the intro). That was Adam's best performance of the night I gotta admit. They were fun, 2 originals, 3 covers including a Rhapsody song that I couldnt remember the title but had Destiny and Dragon in the lyrics (like that narrows it down any...), and a cover of Rising Force. These guys NAILED the Yngwie/Jens trade offs. What impressed me the most, is how funny looking these guys were, and still pulled it off.
Guitarist 1(lead): Yngwie with a Latex fetish and mildly homosexual
Guitarist 2(not-so-lead): Satriani meets Rob Halford with sunglasses and more gay than both of them combined
Keyboard player: You need to have seen Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes movie to know what this guy looked like. He looked like hte keyboardist w/ the fro. Only his fro wasn'y as big, he sported Lenny Kravitz-esque shades, and flipped up the collar.

Rhapsody stole the show. They RULED. They played MArch of the Storm master which surprised the hell out of me. They ruled, if they played for another 45 minutes, and manowar didn't play at all, the night would have been perfect.

Manowar - I'm not TOO familiar with Manowar, I have a couple albums, and I know a few songs, but they played 90 minutes, and I gotta admit, I was bored as hell after 30 minutes. I just wasn't into it I guess.

Definitely worth the $35, solid opener, Rhapsody fucking SLAYED the dragon (I can now tell my grandkids I saw Rhapsody), and Manowar, were fun for a while, I don't see them as anything more than a joke band really. Spinal Tap IRL, just not as musical.

urinalcakemix said:
I enjoyed Holy Hell, Eric Adams came out and did a duet w/ the mildly attractive after a few beers female singer for Nightwish's - Phantom of the Opera, (keyboard player butchered the fuck out of the intro).

Ugh! Why do people do this? It's not a Nightwish cover. The intro was fine.

Just got back to Jersey after seeing the Worcester show last night. Gotta agree with those who say Rhapsody owned the night. Though I've only been mildly interersted in them, they were very impressive live. Super tight and great stage presence. I kinda like not knowing what Fabio's singing and just getting into the sound. The seemed genuinely touched and impressed with the crowd response to them.

Manowar was everything they've been made out to be. Gradiose and over the top but still great musicianship so I actually almost stayed for the whole set. Almost....duty and Irish Times were calling.

Special treat of the evening was that Into Eternity was playing upstairs with Hate Eternal, Krisium, Incantation and All Shall Perish. The guys only got a 5 song set but they kicked ass as usual. Posted a few photos in their forum. We stuck around for a little Incantation but were not impressed. So we jumped out of the mosh pit and went downstairs for Holy Hell. Joe Stump truly rules.

urinalcakemix said:
What impressed me the most, is how funny looking these guys were, and still pulled it off.
Guitarist 1(lead): Yngwie with a Latex fetish and mildly homosexual
Guitarist 2(not-so-lead): Satriani meets Rob Halford with sunglasses and more gay than both of them combined
:lol: :worship: :lol: :worship: :lol:

I think I am alone on this, but I thought Manowar kicked Rhapsody's ass..
I am not a fan of either bands.. I just went to the concert for fun...

Manowar was hilarious!! great show...
Rhapsody sounded extremely artificial to me.. I mean, the keyboardist could have stayed in Italy. The amount of things that he played was sooooooooooooooooooooooo irrelevant considering the amount of pre-recorded shit they had...

Angrafan said:
I think I am alone on this, but I thought Manowar kicked Rhapsody's ass..
I am not a fan of either bands.. I just went to the concert for fun...

Manowar was hilarious!! great show...
Rhapsody sounded extremely artificial to me.. I mean, the keyboardist could have stayed in Italy. The amount of things that he played was sooooooooooooooooooooooo irrelevant considering the amount of pre-recorded shit they had...

You're not alone. I thought Monowar was better too. I think Rhapsody could have had a far better set with a few substitutions. All in all I prefer Rhapsody, but I too thought Manowar did a better show.

That is why MANOWAR are the "Kings of Metal"! Actually, I thought all three bands were great. All had perfect sound and entertained the shit outta me! Manowar and Rhapsody are two of my top six favorite bands of all time anyway. So, I was fucking floored the entire night. This whole show because of the lineup, the venue, and the sound goes down as one of my all time best shows EVER! Manowar never lets you down in a live setting. Plus, their guitar player Karl Logan is originally from Clarks Summit, PA. That town is only about 20 minutes from where I live. I remember seeing him in a silly, spandex wearing ,80's cover band called ArcAngel back in the day. I must have seen them about 3 or 4 times. They broke up not long after I turned 21. Thank God he ended up in Manowar because he's a great guy and he fucking shreds! I've been on a quest to see Rhapsody since I discovered their music in 1999. And, Holyhell was a very pleasant surprise. Kinda like a slightly heavier Nightwish with shredding guitar solos. Nightwish IMO needs to do this more, also.

urinalcakemix said:
You need to have seen Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes movie to know what this guy looked like. He looked like hte keyboardist w/ the fro. Only his fro wasn'y as big, he sported Lenny Kravitz-esque shades, and flipped up the collar.

Hahaha.....:lol:

That movie is awesome, that had to be hilarious. Was he wearing the overalls and sporting the big hairy chest while dancing around hitting various keyboards? :D

Barking Pumpkin said:
Hahaha.....:lol:

That movie is awesome, that had to be hilarious. Was he wearing the overalls and sporting the big hairy chest while dancing around hitting various keyboards? :D
No he looked like the suave son or grandson of this guy, hip with the times, with a jacket, COLLAR UP, and oversized sunglasses. A nice template for a fro, not as poofy, but nice shape, real clean. Trying to impress the 6 chicks in the audience, or 1200 guys, whichever

Nice to see some people posting that like MANOWAR as much as I do. RHAPSODY way stole the show in Cleveland, but I caught the show in Atlanta and in NYC and it was almost a dead-heat. I would have to say MANOWAR was at the top of their game in NYC, an utterly amazing set.

Honestly though, this tour belonged to Rhapsody -- their first ever US appearance and they totally kicked ass with a 55 minute set, that's hard to do when you have 5 epic albums!

Nathan

<snippage>

DarkOne said:
After a very long break, Manowar finally came out.... They played a nice range of songs....Overall, they played for about 90 minutes.

sounds like a disappointing show. usually the other bands play, manowar kill.

the rabbit skins must have been at the cleaners.

joe

Manowar in NYC were amazing. Rhapsody were good, but they will never be anywhere near Manowar's level. Also Rhapsody's setlist wasn't very good, and recorded choruses and drum solo were a turn off.

Still pissed that we waited too late to get tix for the NYC show. At least we were able to get 'em in Worcester. Though I think Rhapsody ruled, I couldn't help but...finallly...appreciate Manowar. They are definitley lyrically interesting.
Ex: "May your sword stay wet like a young girl in her prime"
Ha ha ha, PRICELESS! Who else writes lyrics like that?

AMBR said:
Still pissed that we waited too late to get tix for the NYC show. At least we were able to get 'em in Worcester. Though I think Rhapsody ruled, I couldn't help but...finallly...appreciate Manowar. They are definitley lyrically interesting.
Ex: "May your sword stay wet like a young girl in her prime"
Ha ha ha, PRICELESS! Who else writes lyrics like that?

are you saying Rhapsody is any better? :rolleyes:

Did anyone here who attended the NYC show stay after waiting for autographs? If so, you probably saw me standing around -- finally met the last member (Joey) at 3:55am -- my plane was set to take off at 6:10am -- barely made it...