Manowar

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
I just recently picked up Manowars' new 2DVD "Hell On Earth Part 3" and was just curious on what the consensus is here on the board with Manowar so heres my question for you guys and gals:
1. Do any of you own or have ever owned a Manowar CD?
2. Have you ever seen Manowar play live?
3. And finally, do you still like them? Any comments regarding the band would be great to hear. Here are my abswers.
1. Yes, actually I own all of their albums
2. No, unfortunately I have never seen them live.
3. Unfortunately I know a lot of people think they are cheesy and I TOTALLY can see that angle but I think that their music is just so damn powerful and their vision and message has never waned. Manowar are so over the top and powerful that even if you don't like them you have to admit their influence on metal!

HAIL AND KILL!!! (Wow, Did I just say that?! That was cool!!!!)

very good musicians.........the band still sucks I think. Much too much cheese!!:
reminds me of -->
How to form your own *true-metal* Band:

Make sure you´re German, Italian or Swedish. If you aren´t, change your
nationality.
Get four other guys together, all should have long hair.
Make sure your singer sounds exactly like a cross between Michael Kiske
and Bruce Dickinson. He should sing clean and high-pitched.

Take the guys shopping to the Halloween-costume store and pick up the
most ridiculous medieval costumes you can find. A few sheepskins and a
viking helmet might help, too. Make sure you look as gay as is humanly
possible.

Now you are ready to start writing your debut album. Make sure you have
the titles ´warriors of steel´, ´riding the wind´, and ´dragonlord´
checked on your list of titles to use.
Other titles you might want to consider are ´fire, blood and glory´,
´brave knights of fire´, ´the triumph of battle´ and ´the
glory of my mighty steel´.
We know these titles don´t make any sense, but it´s ok; you´re
German/Italian/Swedish now so the excuse is that your english is just
not so good.
When writing lyrics, be sure to use the words ´steel´, ´glory´,
´mighty´, ´brave´, ´warrior´, ´dragon´, ´true´ ´metal´, ´fire´ and
´king´. Use these words plentifully and use them in every goddamn song.

Try to put as much cheese on your lyrics as possible. Remember to
experiment with different flavours. If you´re stuck, good sentences to
use are; ´riding high across the sky on mighty wings of vengeance
towards glory´, ´fighting for glory with your mighty steel of justice´,
and ´we´re standing high, tall, proud and brave, fighting for the glory
of true metal against false metal while the dragon flies high on the
winds of eternity´.
Don´t worry if what you write makes no sense at all. You´re "true"
metal. People will understand.

Make sure that all songs you write rely completely on a catchy chorus.
Make sure that you only write songs in 4/4th and 3/4th. The ones in
3/4th should be medieval ballads or sing-along battle hymns. Make sure
that the only song structure you use is simple verse/chorus. Do remember
to stick a guitar solo in there after the second chorus though.
Make sure that none of the songs is longer than 3 minutes.
The only exception to the above couple of rules is the last song on the
album, which should be a 6-7 minute song that´s either a cheesy ballad
called ´flying away to dreamland´, or a repetitive mid-tempo tune called
´the triumph of glory´. This will be your ´epic´ moment on your album!

Done writing? That wasn´t so hard, was it?

Now get a record company, preferably Nuclear Blast. Now get Tommy Hansen
or Sasha Paeth to produce your album, and get somebody like Kai Hansen,
Roland Grapow, Timo Tolkki, Oscar Dronjak or Fabio Lione to do a guest
appearance on your album. Don´t exhaust these people for material
though, a three-second solo or a couple of vocal lines are already more
than enough. The record company will take care of the rest.

Now it´s time to talk to the press; Declare that your singer is
influenced by Michael Kiske and Bruce Dickinson. Do not mention anyone
else.
Say that your favorite bands and greatest influences are old Helloween
and Iron Maiden.
Be sure to mention that your favorite albums are the Keeper of the Seven
Keys cds.
Lastly, state that you are true metal and that you are here to teach all
false metal bands a lesson in true metal.
Death to false metal!

Congratulations, your album just went straight into the German, Italian
and Swedish charts. You are now a successful pathetic true metal band."

3. And finally, do you still like them?1 - all of them
2 - nope
3 - yes

I know the people on this forum either love or hate them, I have yet to see an inbetween view.

I like them. I like the fact that every time a buy a new Manowar album I know exactly what I'm getting. There's no "I wonder if they're going to change their musical direction on the next album". That's fine for some other bands, but when I buy a Manowar or Slayer album, I WANT a Manowar or Slayer album.

Besides, there's a lot of bands out there now that have been influenced by Manowar, especially nowadays. Not just the "true" metal bands either. I'm glad that there's variety, otherwise every power metal act that came out would be a fusion of Iron Maiden & Helloween like the guy said above me.

that guy is a girl ;) but actually I did not post that little funny list of advices IN DEFENSE of manowar, quite the contrary ;) I think the cheesy viking helmet sheepskin gay description suits them even better than any other "true metal" band ........well hammerfall fits into this just as well of course.

Regardless of the reason for posting it;it was funny as hell. I still like that music though...cheese and everything. Bring it on!

To answer the questions on this forum;
1. No Manowar CD's.
2. Never seen them.
3. Never started liking them, but that may have something to do with the lack of CD's. So I guess I'm equally as indifferent to them now as I was..say...10 minutes ago.:Spin:

Yes, I do own basically all of Manowar's cd's. All are very good to great. They have been around since dirt and deserve the right to be so called "cheesy" or whatever. They're headliners all over the world which indicates they're doing something right. If you're a metal fan, then why not appreciate a band who sings about metal? I don't understand the criticism. Also, they're musicianship is incredible and the songs are catchy and memorable. I love prog-metal, too, but sometimes that masturbatory noodling around gets on my nerves. Sometimes I would prefer some over the top power metal that puts me in a good mood. Manowar does exactly that! I've been lucky enough to see them live twice, which is far less than I'd like. They are energy and power off the scale in a live setting. Don't condemn them until you've seen them live. Manowar is a great band and should be treated as such. Without them, so many bands today would not exist. Or at the very least, not exist in the form they are today. Manowar are the Kings of Metal for a reason. Because they are the personification of metal. I'm sick and tired of this "cheesy" talk shit. Just about any band could be called "cheesy". Maiden has Eddie, Megadeth has Vic Rattlehead, Priest has the leather and studs, Helloween has their sense of humor, Rhapsody (enough said), and the list goes on. So fuckin' what! ALL of these bands are huge and high on many of our lists as our favorites. Manowar is just as good or better than some of the bands listed here. Actually, Joey DeMaio now manages Rhapsody and is producing the Christopher Lee narrations on the new Rhapsody album. I'm sure it will rule as anything else Joey is involved with. Know about them and understand them before ripping them! Hail and Kill!

They're headliners all over the world which indicates they're doing something right

nawwwww, backstreet Boys had been headliners too, so are Limp Bizshit and such.......indicates only that the majority simply has no taste whatsoever ;)

no offense okay!! :)
If you like them, you like them, but even if I think that they are very good musicians, and I do, they do not deliver the quality they are probably capable of, but instead they write/play simple little songs that lack almost everything except "catchiness"

I own Kings Of Metal, Fighting The World, The Triumph Of Steel, and Warriors Of The World.

No, but if I had the opportunity to I would.

3. And finally, do you still like them?

Yes I do. I think they are a great band, I will get around to owning all their albums and will hopefully see them live one of these days.

The_Q said:
I just recently picked up Manowars' new 2DVD "Hell On Earth Part 3" and was just curious on what the consensus is here on the board with Manowar so heres my question for you guys and gals:
3. And finally, do you still like them? Any comments regarding the band would be great to hear. Here are my abswers.
1. No
2. Yes
3. They were a fun, LOUD show. I wouldn't say I'm a Manowar FAN but if they came here and I happened to find out about it, I would probably go see the show. They are definitely very cheesy but that's fun sometimes.

Manowar has headlined just about ALL of the major European and South American festivals at least once and the March Metal Meltdown here in the States in 2001. Know what you're talking about before comparing Manowar to the Backstreet Boys or Limp Bizkit or whoever.

Manowar has headlined just about ALL of the major European and South American festivals at least once and the March Metal Meltdown here in the States in 2001. Know what you're talking about before comparing Manowar to the Backstreet Boys or Limp Bizkit or whoever.

geeeezes!!! if you do not get the meaning of what I said, go back to school for some didactics!! Also it helps a lot to read EVERYTHING that was said before answering.........again, in simpler words: BEING HEADLINER DOES NOT GUARANTEE QUALITY (now insert examples of your own choice to make it easier for you)
got it?

Well, in simpler form for you and pay special attention now. How does one go about attaining headliner status? Making music that appeals to a lot of people. QUALITY music. They would not be a headliner if their music was not purchased by a lot of people who believe it is high quality music. Duh?

Emerald Sword said:
Well, in simpler form for you and pay special attention now. How does one go about attaining headliner status? Making music that appeals to a lot of people. QUALITY music. They would not be a headliner if their music was not purchased by a lot of people who believe it is high quality music. Duh?

That is EXACTLY what I am denying by making those examples I made!!!

Huge headling bands in general (with exceptions) appeal to the majority, that is true, but that does NOT mean, that it is quality music........quite the contrary, since the majority usually has NO TASTE WHATSOEVER, see the record sales....... If it had taste , progpower and such would be the biggest metalfests on earth!! ;) which they obviously are not

*lol*@creeps cheerio!!