maple vs. rosewood necks question

juicerino

New Metal Member
Oct 2, 2004
ive been having a hard time descerning some of the more subtle differences between the two neck types, besides the darkness and brighness of the general sound. i see that Ron prefers the maple, and im wondering if those lend themselves better to speed and accuracy. at the moment, im playing in a sort of tech/jazz/metal band where i am the only guitarist, so im kinda trying to cover the bases of lower palm muted chugging along with single note patterns and higher sweeps. i guess im wondering if any depth of bottom is actually lost in the maplewood neck, or if that is just a myth. for now, im playing a cheap epiphone/gibson SG with a rosewood neck and a good dimarzio pick up i put in the brige, im tuning down to a kinda weird C# tuning with TNT ghs strings, so its not too bad, but i just need something better.

ive been looking recently at a few different guitars, mostly ibanez in the rg series and wondering if anyone had any suggestions about those or any comprable guitars as well. thanks

Are you talking neck or just fingerboard? Maple fretboard will be snappier, more responsive and brighter. A rosewood NECK will definitely be darker-sounding and muddier, and not as "snappy".

When it comes to "lower palm muted chugging", I'd say bottom end is really what you DON'T want, especially if you're below D.

Maple necks are great if you ask me, and as for fretboards, I prefer ebony. I'd never have a guitar with a rosewood or mahogany neck.

Overall though, wood is overrated. I think composite/carbon fiber/phenolic is the way to go, with stainless steel frets. But that's me. Sadly, not too many seem to agree, since it's a bitch to get anyone to build it for you, plus not many pre-fabricated options either.

I think that that is really one of the lower factors in a guitars sound when compared to body material, size of body, pickups etc., particularly with the way guitars are made today....I say the most important thing with the neck and fretboard is how it feels to you. I'm very big on the comfort factor of guitars :)

yeah, i guess i was only talking about the fret board, but thanks anyways, every bit of info helps.