Floyd Rose vs. TonePros locking bridge

WyldeChilde19

New Metal Member
May 21, 2007
Anyone know if its really such a quality difference that I should pay hundreds more for a guitar where that is the only difference?

That only effects tuning and whammy right? I need a new guitar fairly quick, one with better picks ups so my amp will sound more clean. I'm looking at the C-7 hellraiser but then saw the Jeff Loomis signature model and wondered about this.

Also any one have opinion on rosewood frets vs maple? I'm used to rosewood and associate maple with fenders and a crappy slow feel but is that really the case?

*moving this to musician's forum*

unless if you're really going to use the floyd rose, it's a bitch and a half to change the strings. supposedly they come out with a new bridge system that makes it easier, but I have no experience with it.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Floyd Rose bridges have a different string spacing than TOM style guitars. I personally prefer the FR spacing. Floyd Roses have fine tuning and locking nuts that are GREAT for tuning stability. However, it takes about half an hour to go from one tuning to another ( Say, E standard to D standard ), since you have to adjust the springs in the back of the guitar as well as the strings.

Tune-o-matics are a little more solid feeling than FRs, since its all metal and wood. There's a direct connection to the wood of the guitar so its usually more resonant ( of course that depends on the quality of the construction ). The strings are a little more spaced out on a TOM. You obviously can't use a whammy bar. But you can change your tunings more easily.

As for maple vs. rosewood, thats personal preference as well.

Maple has a brighter and punchier tone and a smoother feel ( "scooped" tone almost, more pronounced bass and treble ). Rosewood is darker and creamier, with less bass ( Imagine a lo-fi amp with a low mid boost ).