Marcelo Cabuli to sue Nightwish?

Mr Cabuli is nor suing Nightwish neither anyone related to the band or the management. The book first came out in Finnish in May 2006 and two lawsuits were filed against the author of the book Mape Ollila and the Finnish publishing house Like Kustannus OY at the end of the same year, about three years ago, so this is not a scheduled stunt, I'm afraid. These things take their time when flowing through the juridical machinery, especially when they are civil charges and seem to be of lesser common importance. The court date has yet to be set, but obviously it'll be somerime in Jan- Feb next year.

Where did you get the information about when the suit was filed? The blabbermouth article only states that the suit is against the author and the publisher. It doesn't say when. I'd like to see your sources, if you still have them. :)

Where did you get the information about when the suit was filed? The blabbermouth article only states that the suit is against the author and the publisher. It doesn't say when. I'd like to see your sources, if you still have them. :)
Well, he lives in Finland. ;) and I believe it was in the news over there back when the book came out, but I'm sure he can speak for himself. :saint:

I don't see how or why they would have this suit heard in the U.S. since no one is from there and none of the companies are based there. I would think it would be in Finland.
Lotsa luck Mr. C. :devil:

Well, he lives in Finland. ;) and I believe it was in the news over there back when the book came out, but I'm sure he can speak for himself. :saint:

I don't see how or why they would have this suit heard in the U.S. since no one is from there and none of the companies are based there. I would think it would be in Finland.
Lotsa luck Mr. C. :devil:

That means if he knows where any articles are online (from three years ago) that state when the initial suit was filed, they're likely in Finnish, which means I can't read them. Darn. :(

Well, Blabbermouth's reliability correlates to it's name.

One source which is still available is this interview with Tuomas Holopainen on Imperiumi.net (in Finnish like you said) which was made about a month or two before Dark Passion Play -CD was released in September 2007.

It reveals that at the time Tuomas and Mape Ollila already were aware of the fact that charges about slander in the book were filed at the court.

(I translated the lines from just above the 2nd image on the linked page)
Quote:
Mape Ollila, also known as the editor of Imperiumi.net wrote the story of Nightwish, which was published by Like in 2006. It's public knowledge that Tarja's husband Marcelo Cabuli has filed a charge concerning the contents of the book. What do you know about it?

- Mape told me the other day that a charge about slander had been filed, but I haven't heard anything about it for several months. You better ask Mape.

So, let's ask him. Mape, how are we doing [with it]?

Mape: Two charges.

/Quote

The actual subject of the lawsuits are supposedly the few ancdotes and stories in the Nw-book about Mr Cabuli and his record label involving in a swindle with Angra's management back in the late 90's.

According to the book there may have occurred some kind of manipulation of the figures in accounting of Angra's record sales in Brazil, Argentina and some other countries in South America in the 90's.

The only known fact is that Andre Matos and two other memebers left the band in 2001 because of a bad conflict with their own management and there have been loads of stories circulating about what really happened.

Also as a side note, if you look at it, seems like quite a few well known European metalbands and some record labels who collaborated with NEMS Enterprises until that time seem to have withheld from licencing their CDs to NEMS for South American delivery after 2002 - 2004 releases... but are observations like this relevant or not is another question.

One source which is still available is this interview with Tuomas Holopainen on Imperiumi.net (in Finnish like you said) which was made about a month or two before Dark Passion Play -CD was released in September 2007.

It reveals that at the time Tuomas and Mape Ollila already were aware of the fact that charges about slander in the book were filed at the court.

Quote:
Mape Ollila, also known as the editor of Imperiumi.net wrote the story of Nightwish, which was published by Like in 2006. It's public knowledge that Tarja's husband Marcelo Cabuli has filed a charge concerning the contents of the book. What do you know about it?

- Mape told me the other day that a charge about slander had been filed, but I haven't heard anything about it for several months. You better ask Mape.

/Quote

The actual subject of the lawsuits are supposedly the few ancdotes and stories in the Nw-book about Mr Cabuli and his record label involving in a swindle with Angra's management back in the late 90's.

According to the book there may have occurred some kind of manipulation of the figures in accounting of Angra's record sales in Brazil, Argentina and some other countries in South America in the 90's.

The only known fact is that Andre Matos and two other memebers left the band in 2001 because of a bad conflict with their own management and there have been loads of stories circulating about what really happened.

Also as a side note, if you look at it, seems like quite a few well known European metalbands and some record labels who collaborated with NEMS Enterprises until that time seem to have withheld from licencing their CDs to NEMS for South American delivery after 2002 - 2004 releases... but are observations like this relevant or not is another question.

I'm confused. Since when have we been talking about Angra?:confused:

I don't think he even intends to win the lawsuit. I think he's making a statement by filing it. Partly to try to lessen any of the negative statements about his wife in the interest of her career, and to cause anxiety for the remaining band members. There may also be more to follow if anything else changes with the band's lineup. A little far fetched but not to be discounted.

Now this is some funny stuff. While they were a WAY better band with Tarja, considering all the drama and hard feelings between both camps, this would NEVER happen, even though I wish it would because Annette sucks, especially live. I agree he may not intend on winning, but instead is probably just trying to get publicity for Tarja and to fling shit at Nightwish.

Quote:

/Quote

Thank you! :) That puts this whole mess into better perspective for me.

@nomisofsiman: While I agree that Nightwish was a better band with Tarja's vocals, I disagree about Anette. Anette is very good live. She is charismatic, warm, likable, and sounds much like she does on CD. I like her better as a live performer than I do when I hear her on DPP. I'd still rather have Tarja back, but as we've already established, that's unlikely to happen.

so first the new singer needed separate management from the band if i understood correctly, for extra things that the "guys" dont need like clothing endorsements and shit? now there getting sued over a book? Hmmmm?

Sucks that the band cant just be a band any more when you get to a certain level. never the less this is a story to keep watching, curiosity is killer me!

@nomisofsiman: While I agree that Nightwish was a better band with Tarja's vocals, I disagree about Anette. Anette is very good live. She is charismatic, warm, likable, and sounds much like she does on CD. I like her better as a live performer than I do when I hear her on DPP. I'd still rather have Tarja back, but as we've already established, that's unlikely to happen.

Interesting. I have the opposite take, where I like her on DPP, but when I saw her at the HOB in Chicago, I was cringing at a good portion of the Tarja songs, in particular "Wishmaster." Who knows? Maybe I got her on a bad night. Regardless, I just think Nightwish needs a true operatic singer, whoever that could be; it doesn't work for me any other way. Annette as she's said is more of a rock singer, so I think that's where the problem stems for me.

Interesting. I have the opposite take, where I like her on DPP, but when I saw her at the HOB in Chicago, I was cringing at a good portion of the Tarja songs, in particular "Wishmaster." Who knows? Maybe I got her on a bad night. Regardless, I just think Nightwish needs a true operatic singer, whoever that could be; it doesn't work for me any other way. Annette as she's said is more of a rock singer, so I think that's where the problem stems for me.

Which HoB show was that? I saw them...I think it was two years ago at the HoB, then I saw them again at the Pearl Room, and both times Anette did a very good job. I do agree that her voice doesn't fit NW's music, and they really need an operatic singer, but I also give her credit for not trying to be something she isn't. She made the songs her own, which is what a new singer SHOULD do, instead of trying to sing it like the old singer.

But I do agree - I think they need an operatic singer, not a pop/rock singer.

Which HoB show was that? I saw them...I think it was two years ago at the HoB, then I saw them again at the Pearl Room, and both times Anette did a very good job. I do agree that her voice doesn't fit NW's music, and they really need an operatic singer, but I also give her credit for not trying to be something she isn't. She made the songs her own, which is what a new singer SHOULD do, instead of trying to sing it like the old singer.

It was the first one on the dpp tour. I dunno. I just couldn't get into her, with the exception of the new stuff, but I totally agree with you that it's good she's not trying to be Tarja and trying to make them her own. I just think it takes away from the older songs by changing them up. To each his own though. However, I thought the band as a unit was on that night.

This was known for a while. But, Marcelo is doing more harm to Tarja with this nonsense than any good. For cryin' out loud, he had to sign off on the book before it's publication! He reminds me of that bootlegger that was here a few weeks ago: A cavalier attitude that will do more harm than good.

... he had to sign off on the book before it's publication!
Actually, an author or a publisher does not need any approval before publishing his/her text. There is a thing called freedom of publishing (at least in Finland) which applies to publishing of any written text, were the used media press, book, internet or any other available means.

Right to pre-censor written text before publishing does not exist in this country's legislation and I'm quite positive it's the same in any western country.

Only when someone finds an already published text containing libellous parts towards his/her person or acts s/he can sue the author and/or publisher. Then it'll be the court to judge wether any degree of libel exist in the particular publication.

Actually, an author or a publisher does not need any approval before publishing his/her text. There is a thing called freedom of publishing (at least in Finland) which applies to publishing of any written text, were the used media press, book, internet or any other available means.

Right to pre-censor written text before publishing does not exist in this country's legislation and I'm quite positive it's the same in any western country.

Only when someone finds an already published text containing libellous parts towards his/her person or acts s/he can sue the author and/or publisher. Then it'll be the court to judge wether any degree of libel exist in the particular publication.

But, if I am not mistaken, Nightwish as an entity had to approve of the final draft before release. That is why the book was not released right away in Finland. It was said that Marcelo and Tarja held it up.