Mark Morgan - Vault Archives (Fallout 1 & 2 OST Remastered, Free)

Hellz yeah! Finally in excellent quality. The in-game ones had quite a low bitrate afaik (some custom compression algorithm was used, so can't tell the real bitrate). Besides this, there are only a handful of original game soundtracks that I regularly listen to outside the game itself. The others are Interstate '76, Unreal, The Need for Speed: Special Edition (1996), and Diablo II.

Edit:
From a quick comparison listen, it sure sounds much better than the in-game files! Especially the low frequencies and clarity. And that thinness and slightly distorted-sounding high mid is now fixed <3

Need for Speed: SE was one of my first PC games! I can't remember the music at all though. I would've still been in primary school back then. Diablo 2 is an ace soundtrack. I also got Matt's work on Torchlight. The town music is awwwesome. He makes that 12 string sound MASSIVE. Shame they don't seem to be using him for Diablo 3. It's a bit like using that other dude for Fallout 3... you lose a lot of the vibe.

Glad you guys are enjoying it. I'm quite impressed finally hearing these tracks with some bottom end!

Almost takes away some of the charm doesn't it? Part of the Fallout thing was that the engine used to power the game was so lo-fi it matched the gameworld, so having some shitty bit-rate hitting the audio, with absolutely no fidelity almost worked.

They seem content with generic filler instead.

Not sure if Obsidian would've opted to work with Mark Morgan on New Vegas, given that he did soundtracks for 3 Black Isle games in the past. I really hope so, but I'm doubtful.

More than anything I want to mix some stuff like this... immediately, and make a career out of it. Seems like one would come out with more integrity than turd-polishing the latest 3-chord wonder chorus with way too many layers of nothing.

Recalling the first two Fallout games makes me wish for Fallout 3 they had done a combo of orchestral with the ambient stuff. I know Mark Morgan sometimes adds in a little something something orchestral like, but maybe I'm thinking of a teaming like Graeme Revell and Brian "Lustmord" Williams or Paul Haslinger who also uses Lustmord sometimes for the dark ambient vibe. A collaboration of where they say, "Hey, lets see how we can make this blend into something really massive, melodic and also set the action."

Nice Mark did this though for us fanboys.

They seem content with generic filler instead.

Not sure if Obsidian would've opted to work with Mark Morgan on New Vegas, given that he did soundtracks for 3 Black Isle games in the past. I really hope so, but I'm doubtful.

More than anything I want to mix some stuff like this... immediately, and make a career out of it. Seems like one would come out with more integrity than turd-polishing the latest 3-chord wonder chorus with way too many layers of nothing.

I've actually composed a lot of this kind of stuff.

http://www.archive.org/details/ChibsBathToy

Dunno if you'll be into it. It's a bit more morbid than the Fallout stuff, but the Fallout soundtracks are MASSIVE influences on me. I fucking love those games more than I'd love my own kids if I had any.

I fucking love those games more than I'd love my own kids if I had any.

Well put.

I'll check those songs out a little later today.

I always intended to start a hobby project that fused the better parts of industrial metal, ambient and cinematic type scores. Got caught up in this instead. Think somewhere between the Advent Children trance/rock tracks, the Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries soundtrack and Meshuggah.

Well put.

I'll check those songs out a little later today.

I always intended to start a hobby project that fused the better parts of industrial metal, ambient and cinematic type scores. Got caught up in this instead. Think somewhere between the Advent Children trance/rock tracks, the Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries soundtrack and Meshuggah.

If you wanna fuck around with some stuff, I'm totally game. Nothing serious to start off with - just make some sounds, get a dropbox and share some shit. Obviously fit it around our commitments, but could be a laugh.

Thanks for the heads up Ermz! :headbang:

And in other related news:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1111298-mark-morgan/page__st__20__p__16300070&#entry16300070 said:
All of the new music in Fallout: New Vegas is by Inon Zur, however we do use some of Mark Morgan's tracks from Fallout 1 & 2. They're mixed in with the Inon music in places (so are sound effects from Fallout 1 & 2) and the actual tracks themselves will play in specific locations. We use some of Inon's music from Fallout 3 as well. There's a ton of music in this game.