Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics free @*GOG.com

updog

May 9, 2009
Finland
I know a lot of you like classic games, so, a heads up for everyone here... Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics are FREE right now on GOG for a day or two.

Even if you already own a physical copy or something, I've found GOG.com incredibly convenient. It's almost like owning them physically - they're DRM free and you have your game library to choose games from whenever you feel like playing them, but at the same time it's much simpler than using discs.

Fallout 2 is the best video game I have ever played, period. And yes, I regularly play many of the more modern games. I will advise you to patch it though, as the original was left with some imperfections that have been later ironed out. I like to use the Fallout Restoration Mod, which includes people, locations and items that were cut from the original game, and while I usually don't like using mods, this one meshes quite well with the original content.

Fallout 1 is a great game as well, and while Tactics isn't really that much of a role-playing game, it's an unique one, and very entertaining.

Do yourself a favor and grab these :D

http://www.gog.com/game/fallout_2

I know a lot of you like classic games, so, a heads up for everyone here... Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics are FREE right now on GOG for a day or two.

Even if you already own a physical copy or something, I've found GOG.com incredibly convenient. It's almost like owning them physically - they're DRM free and you have your game library to choose games from whenever you feel like playing them, but at the same time it's much simpler than using discs.

Fallout 2 is the best video game I have ever played, period. And yes, I regularly play many of the more modern games. I will advise you to patch it though, as the original was left with some imperfections that have been later ironed out. I like to use the Fallout Restoration Mod, which includes people, locations and items that were cut from the original game, and while I usually don't like using mods, this one meshes quite well with the original content.

Fallout 1 is a great game as well, and while Tactics isn't really that much of a role-playing game, it's an unique one, and very entertaining.

Do yourself a favor and grab these :D

http://www.gog.com/game/fallout_2

This reminded me of how old I am. I literally have no idea what any of this means. The last video game I played was super mario kart. I am old and fat.

I saw Anssi post this on Facebook. It seems you can get the Soundtracks with the games but in extra files. I think I remember Ermin raving about them so I guess I'm going to check them out. :)

I should probably NOT Download it, I can't count the hours I spent on Fallout II, in the beginning, just
watching my brother play it and after he finished it, playing it by myself, probably 3 months straight,
2-3 hours each day.

I should probably NOT Download it, I can't count the hours I spent on Fallout II, in the beginning, just
watching my brother play it and after he finished it, playing it by myself, probably 3 months straight,
2-3 hours each day.

that's why I always binge play through games in one 24/48 hour session :}

well.. at least I used to do that when I had the time and a lot more enthusiasm for gaming.

Tactics was not crap. It's just closer to Commandos than it is Fallout. Good game, but different thing.

FO1 and FO2 literally changed my youth.

Installed the first one and what a piece of fucking crap

Now I'm sure the game is great but I can't play it. The screen gets all fuzzy when there is an animation and with weird colors.
2nd, I cannot for the life of me understand how to control the damn scavenger they let out of the vault. I click and sometimes he will move, sometimes no. Cannot attack the rats.

I barely walked 20 meters in the game and gave up. Now if I could play, that'd be fun.

That is very strange. GOG is known for pre-emulating all the games to function on newer machines, and I've almost never had a problem with a game I've bought off there.

Are you using a new PC? If yes, try setting the game to a "compatibility mode" from the program's settings when you right-click the exe and choose "properties". Set this to Windows 98.

If that doesn't work, you could try patching it or checking out the GOG.com forums - just don't give up with the whole series! Fallout 2 is the one you REALLY need to play (which doesn't directly pick off where Fallout left off, in fact, you'll never need to play the first one to know what's going on... But at a point it'll give you the satisfaction of knowing about some occurrences already from the first game). Now, it came a few years later, but you might have to do what I previously explained as well as these games are more or less 1,5 decades old (and sadly, I only realized this now... It really doesn't feel that long!).

No longer free, but it's just a few bucks.

I was going to grab them a few days ago, but it's probably for the better.
I'm on vacation the next 2 weeks and I have a self-imposed end-of-year deadline to finish recording a few things, so the last thing I need is a new vid game!