Playstation 3

JoeJackson

Oct 9, 2007
Germany
Hey guys,

I got me a PS3 last Saturday. First console in 3 or 4 years.
I also got "Assasins Creed" just because it looked cool. Well, after about 4 hours of gameplay I'm bored of it. You have to do the same things over and over again - it only gets more difficult. Storyline is absolutely boring too (is there a story?).

So, I need a new game, but I can't decide what to get.

I love the whole horror-survival-theme, so RE5 is definitly on my list (is it out in UK, yet? I presume it's uncut in Britain?!?). But Dead Space looks pretty good, too - although I'm not that fond of the Sci-Fi-theme. Of course Metal Gear Solid 4 is on my list, too.

Any other games I really should check out? I've watched some vid's of Fallout 3, but I fear that it is too much of a Role-Playing-Game.

Any other games I really should check out?

What kinda games do you like?
I'm really enjoying Guitar Hero World Tour at the moment having never owned a Guitar Hero game before. Check out the demo for Garden of Eden on the PSN if independant games are your thing.
I hear the latest Wipeout game (futuristic racer) is pretty cheap on the PSN too and worth every single penny!
Street Fighter 4 is just around the corner too. Call of Duty 4 was pretty good (if you like shooters). Saints Row 2 looks like much more fun compared to GTA4. It really depends what kinda genres you enjoy most!

yeah name the genre you like the most!
I liked Far Cry 2 also!

I liked the original Far Cry (PC) but brought back Far Cry 2 (Xbox 360) to the store 2 days later. When the guy behind the counter asked what was wrong with it, I simply said "Oh the game works perfectly, it's just fuckin' terrible." He laughed and said "No prob, just pick out something else!"
So I picked up three games for the same price as Far Cry 2 - Battlefield: Bad Company, Gears of War and Splinter Cell: Double Agent - and I had much more fun playing Bad Company than I did Far Cry 2.

What kinda games do you like?

Well, as I said in my original post, I really like horror-survival-games like Resident Evil. I played Call Of Duty 4 on my macbook and really really liked it - CoD 5 is out, too, right?

I liked the GTA-series, but after Vice City it got a bit boring... so, Saints Row is a similar game?

EDIT: Just watched the IGN Video-Review to GTA4 ... definitly looks exciting again ...

Saints Row is fun, but does not compare to GTA 4. It´s more like the GTA sandbox part on crack, but for me what really shines on GTA 4 is the story, the characters, the city and the cover system, which Saints Row fails. You really can´t go wrong with GTA 4.

saints row is the old gta that every one loved and that died with the release of gta 4

Wow, everyone is recommending Fallout 3, huh? :D
But I think I'm going to get Dead Space and Uncharted: Drakes Fortune first (thanks for the recommendation Goddamn Guitar). Uncharted looks like a mixture of all the cheesy Adventure-flicks I love.
But I'll definitly keep Fallout 3 on my list of games worth checking out...

GTA IV is apparently very gritty and serious, whereas Saints Row 2 is like GTA3 but even sillier; just fucking absurd sandbox mayhem. Take your pic :) MGS4 is of course an absolute fucking masterpiece; I'm playing it again now (I played it twice back-to-back when I got it over the summer, and haven't since until now), and man, I always appreciate things more when I've been away for awhile; the exhaustiveness of ALL the details (story, characters, graphics, weapon selection/detail, etc.) is absolutely unparalleled with any other current game out there (and trust me, I've played almost all of 'em). Beyond that, CoD4 is the single greatest FPS I've played, but you of course know that if you've played it already, and CoD: World at War (technically not CoD5) is supposed to be good, but not as good (back in WWII, ugghhh).

Beyond that, I LOVE Uncharted: Drake's Fortune; it's not the most original game in terms of gameplay (Tomb Raider meets Gears of War) and story (Indiana Jones in a modern setting with young, wry characters), but the writing and voice acting is AMAZING; Naughty Dog (the studio) has always been at the forefront of fantastic scriptwriting and casting, and these characters really stand out as some of the most fleshed-out, believable, and likeable I've ever known in a VG. Plus, it still is the best looking game I've ever played; MGS4 has better character detail, but the environments are kinda bland, whereas Uncharted is the most consistently gorgeous game I've yet to encounter. Highly recommended!

An important warning about MGS4, though: DO NOT attempt to play it unless you're intimately acquainted with the first 3 (all playable on the PS3, provided yours is backwards-compatible with PS2 games) - you will be so fucking lost and not get anywhere near the full experience, but trust me, the first 3 are all masterpieces of storytelling and gameplay; the series is without a doubt my all-time favorite, so it's well worth it!

Oh yeah, and definitely Bioshock, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (though that one gets old fast, so you'll be disappointed if you pay full price for it!)

An important warning about MGS4, though: DO NOT attempt to play it unless you're intimately acquainted with the first 3 (all playable on the PS3, provided yours is backwards-compatible with PS2 games) - you will be so fucking lost and not get anywhere near the full experience, but trust me, the first 3 are all masterpieces of storytelling and gameplay; the series is without a doubt my all-time favorite, so it's well worth it!

That's what I fear. I played MGS1 (never completed it *d'oh*) and MGS2. Never had a chance to play MGS3, though. And unfortunately my PS3 isn't backwards-compatible (damn PAL-consoles).
Definitly need a quick MGS story-summary, before I get MGS4.

Definitly need a quick MGS story-summary, before I get MGS4.

Well, as a die-hard fan since '02, I can't in good conscience advocate just reading a summary - but if you MUST, www.gamefaqs.com to the rescue :erk: Really though, get yourself an old used PS2 on ebay and play them, you'll be glad you did! MGS3 especially, my god...

Well, as a die-hard fan since '02, I can't in good conscience advocate just reading a summary - but if you MUST, www.gamefaqs.com to the rescue :erk: Really though, get yourself an old used PS2 on ebay and play them, you'll be glad you did! MGS3 especially, my god...

Haha... okay, thanks Marcus. I guess MGS4 has to wait until I get my hands on the older ones. I think MGS3 will be the missing link. I can remember quite a bit of Part 1 and 2.

Gamerankings.com

You can get an averaged review and refine the search to particular genres, or newer games, etc etc. Check it out, and it will tell you what the top games are.

The big ones have mostly been mentioned:

Shooters:

Resistance 2
Call of Duty 4 / World at War [if you play online, WaW has better thought out maps, and since its new, will last longer... 4 is beginning to die]
SOCOM [3rd person]
Bioshock

Action/Adv:

Uncharted
Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Dead Space
GTA IV

RPG:

Fallout 3

And I play a lot of NHL 09 and Midnight Club: LA. Getting Skate 2, today.