Marshall head recommendations

53Crëw

Jan 31, 2007
I had a '73 Super Lead that sounded great, but was insanely loud. Not sure I'd go that route again.

Aside from the obvious JMP/JCM800 (2203), what other Marshall head would you recommend? I was also considering a DSL100 or a 6100LM... Anything else?

I like the DSL, its a pretty modern aggressive distortion and the clean channel ain't bad. No personal experience with the 6100LM, but its supposedly the predecessor to the JVM.
Outside of that I'd like a Fortin modded 1987.

Aahh, yes. I had actually intended to include the JVM in my original post. One thing that worries me about that amp is that I seem to hear it's noisy from people that have played one.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I want a JVM really badly, but the noise turns me off. Not sure yet if I can get over it. I might get an ISP decimator with it, but don't want to sacrifice the tone.

the JVM is my second fav Marshall atm, (after the JMP2203)

Totally agree with this - I prefer the 2203 but the JVM is a solid amp. I haven't noticed the noise problem but I haven't spent tons of time with one either.

The DSL and TSL would be good buys if they weren't so unreliable; I know three guys who've owned them and they've all had problems.

I really like the 6100LM, much, much more than the JVM, which I really don't like at all. Plus, they sell for like half the price of the JVM, so you could buy a 6100 and a DSL :p

The DSL and TSL would be good buys if they weren't so unreliable; I know three guys who've owned them and they've all had problems.

To be honest I found my DSL really reliable over the 3 years I had it. TSL's I've heard some awful stories about though. TSL's sound pretty awful in my experience anyway.

I've heard pretty good things about the JVMs.

However, I played a JCM 2000 DSL that was pretty versatile for classic/hard rock, but I wouldn't use it for rhythm metal guitar. It's just not nearly tight enough.

Good DSL's sound rather good. I haven't heard many TSL's that sounded that great. However my 6100LM beats them easily. It gets a darned good Plexi tone and the JCM800 mode with a bit of a TS9 boost is brutal. Love, love, love that amp. Good clean tones too, oddly enough.