marshall & mesa

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
ok so i got this mesa rectoverb combo i've trying to sell for a while. i bought it a few years ago before i had a studio and got a mark iv head and a road king head. i used it in my bedroom it was cool and all but since i moved my stuff into the studio it has just been furniture. except most offers are like $700 $800 which for me is stupid to sell because i feel like an amp that is practically brand new (i only had it in my bedroom and played it for like 4 months) and costs like $1600 new it is more valuable just sitting there than me taking a big loss like that. however i was snooping around on craigs list and i found someone who is willing to trade his jcm 800 2203 (vertical inputs) for my rectoverb. so i figured it's not a bad idea.

i admittedly am NOT a marshall guy, and a huge mesa boogie fanboy so i will say that the only reason i would get it is just to have it for a band that may come in or to add some definition for recording bands or if i ever have. i mean look personal taste aside it is a legendary head. but i guess what i am hoping to get out of this post is if anyone with good experience in the marshall field can help me decide if this is the right marshall head for that "classic marshall tone" in other words i know a plexi head or a super lead is out of reach $$$ wise and is risky due to its age but the jcm 800 seems to be a very popular amp. another thing i'm curious about is that there are several mods, i noticed andy has a few jcm mods like extra gain stage, etc. etc. what is the deal with those? what would you guys recommend, what are the advantages and disadvantages of those mods as opposed to a stock head? i understand it has more gain, but i mean anything other than that.

The 800 series is probably the best series to get. Most metal bands used them...I think its worth while. But i also am not into marshall. But everyone i know is after one those heads. If that helps anyway.

Get a Splawn instead!

Honestly, going price on the Rectoverb combo's really is $800-$850 or so.

It'd be a good trade if it truly is an original 2203, vertical input JCM800 in solid shape, but Splawns just do the Marshall thing so much better than they actually do it that I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

well there are a lot of amps i could get potentially but i am saving my money for more studio gear. if i had a bigger budget for amps i would probably get like a bogner ecstasy or a wizard modern classic or something.