Marshall JCM800 Kerry King

mick thompson

AKA: Ross Canpolat! SM!
Nov 3, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
has anyone tried out the Marshall JCM 800 Kerry King head?

looks like a beast, i was checking out some videos on youtube but its hard to say if it sounds decent because of youtube's love for audio compression.

I loved the original 800's, they had such a crushing tone, how does this one compare?:)

It's the same as the original but with 6550's, internal boost, adjusted EQ controls, and noise gate.

I'd look for a reputable modded 2203 instead (unless you're willing to pay new price since I haven't seen many of them go used). You can get a voodoo or Fja modded one (depending on the mods) for less then 1200 or so.

They rule.

see my problem with getting a cheap one is in ireland we use 240 volt electricity but in the usa you chaps use 110 volt so products are mass produced cheaper for you chaps, im certainly going to look into getting one.

will it match up to my peavey 6505+?

see my problem with getting a cheap one is in ireland we use 240 volt electricity but in the usa you chaps use 110 volt so products are mass produced cheaper for you chaps, im certainly going to look into getting one.

Most transformers have windings for both voltages, just have to do a bit of modding.

Marshall are UK based.

Yep, tried one extensively. Its not the same as the original, far from it. It has more gain than a JCM800, and more low end. It has an "insane" button that kicks in a shit load of gain, and it also has a pretty neat noise gate that works very well. Its fkn loud, brutally loud.
Drawbacks are its pretty much a one trick pony. None of the front end functions are footswitchable which would have made it a lot more versatile. No FX loop which was a clincher for me. And the price is about the same as a 6505, which IMO is a better amp.

And the price is about the same as a 6505, which IMO is a better amp.

Uhh, what? Where are you located dude? Cuz in the US there's a healthy $800 spread between the Peavey and KK...

EDIT: Nevermind, just checked your myspace - man, that's crazy that they're close in price; what is it? Cuz I guess it's probably a combo of the 6505 being pricier and the KK being cheaper there...

A 6505 head over here averages at about £700, the KK is in the same region, about £750.
RR on both of them is more.
A shop near me has an ex demo KK head for £600 cash, its mint, not a mark on it. Thats the one I've played through a few times. Great amp if you like one sound with just about zero options.
Remember although the RR on Marshalls is expensive, lots of shops sell them at way lower than RR because the shipping deals are silly cheap because of where the factory is.
Likewise, some American amps, it would be cheaper to hop on a plane to New York and buy one there than buy one here, if the voltage could be matched.
A mate of mine has bought two Les Pauls from the states and saved a bunch. He's got one of the only lefty Gibson ZW Bulleyes in Europe, and a custom shop 59 standard. He saved about 1.5k in all.

then again, you can order the KK jcm800 from the UK (soundslive or so)and pay much less then the german webshops.

I can get the 6505 new from the UK for about 860 Euro's, tax included.
the KK is about the same at www.soundslive.co.uk.

Hey I'm gonna revise this thread because I saw one of these used at my favorite local shop the other day. We're good friends with the owner and we help his business so every year for Christmas he gives us $600 off anything we want. Anyone tried one of these heads? I need to go try it out soon, but just curious to how it sounds. I don't like Kerry King or much Slayer but it seems interesting...

Hey I'm gonna revise this thread because I saw one of these used at my favorite local shop the other day. We're good friends with the owner and we help his business so every year for Christmas he gives us $600 off anything we want. Anyone tried one of these heads? I need to go try it out soon, but just curious to how it sounds. I don't like Kerry King or much Slayer but it seems interesting...

If you like the marshall sound thing, DO IT!

It's definitely a wicked sound for metal, but like others have said it's a real one-trick pony, you have crazy distortion and crazier distortion, no cleans. It's still badass though.

How are the prices for used JCM800s in USA? I got mine 5 years ago for 400€ here in Finland. Crazy to see the reissues for 1666€ new at Thomann

yea but theres a difference between the 800 and the kerry 800. kerry's one is modded to a higher gain, noise gate, custom kerry eq and your also paying for his name on the head.

haha you dont like the tribal stuff? i think its cool...i wouldn't be a fan of kerry or his playing but it certainly adds his own personal touch to the amp. maybe if he stands next to the head his tattoo's would link up and make a huge tribal design!

now there's something to ponder on!