Marshall JCM 800

Zuge

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2003
Finland
Visit site
I have to buy a new amp and I thought that Marshall JCM 800 would be a good option. I wanted to know if it's good and can I get Opeth tone from it. So if any of you has played one, share your thoughts. Thanks!

Why do you want Opeth tone, why don't you find your own voice as an artist instead of living in the shadows of your idols.

IanDork107 said:
Why do you want Opeth tone, why don't you find your own voice as an artist instead of living in the shadows of your idols.

Agreed. Art comes from within, not from trying to immitate the sound of a band you worship.

Fanboys. *rollseyes*

Get a Peavey 5150. It's the bomb, Tom. Brutal distortion with screaming highs and awesome low end.

If you want to hear the 5150 in action, just listen to "Blackwater Park". Carcass also uses it on "Hearwork". Those 2 albums there have some of the best guitar tone ever.

I have never really been able to get a great tone out of a Marshall head before, but then again I've never tried the JCM 800...just the 900 and the 2000.

At The Gates used 5150's when recording Slaughter of the Soul. Engl Powerball is another, maybe not so well known, amp with great distortion.

opeth doesn't even have great tone....they have great production on the albums but their tone isn't anything great or distinct for that matter when it comes to live

if u do want opeth's live sound than get a gt-3

as for Marshall, the only model I would consider buying would be the JCM800, earlier, but I'd probably have it sent out to be modded like crazy...

I agree though, you can try to replicate someone's tone, but you're only going to sound like you. Give Chuck Schuildner's rig to guitar and rig to Joe Satriani, he'll still sound like Joe Satriani.

Tone has a lot to do with equipment, i.e. pickups, body wood, preamp, speakers, etc... but more importantly it's your personal tone that will make you stand out.

First off.... Opeth didn't use 5150's on Blackwater Park. They used Laney VH100R's.

Second, At The Gates didn't use 5150's on Slaughter of the Soul. They used Peavey's driven by a Boss Metal Zone. Funny right? One of the best metal tones recorded came from one of the shittiest distortion boxes ever.

You wanna hear 5150's, listen to In Flames or Arch Enemy. Thats what those things are all about.

JCM800 is a great amp, but its not gonna do the modern metal sound. If you slam it with an overdrive pedal, you can get some fat ass chunky metal, but not the screaming deathstrike of a Mesa Rectifier, a Bogner Uberschall, a Diezel Herbert, a VHT Pitbull UL, etc... you get the idea.

Second, At The Gates didn't use 5150's on Slaughter of the Soul. They used Peavey's driven by a Boss Metal Zone. Funny right? One of the best metal tones recorded came from one of the shittiest distortion boxes ever.
:guh:

The Haunted uses 5150's, right?

Brooks said:
First off.... Opeth didn't use 5150's on Blackwater Park. They used Laney VH100R's.

You wanna hear 5150's, listen to In Flames or Arch Enemy. Thats what those things are all about.

JCM800 is a great amp, but its not gonna do the modern metal sound. If you slam it with an overdrive pedal, you can get some fat ass chunky metal, but not the screaming deathstrike of a Mesa Rectifier, a Bogner Uberschall, a Diezel Herbert, a VHT Pitbull UL, etc... you get the idea.
They also used 5150's on BWP in addition to the Laneys. It says so on Opeth.com.