Marshall JCM 800

shine

Crunchy
Jan 7, 2007
Hi, my friend just got this amp for free and it would be awesome if someone could chime in and help me out identifying this Marshall! By serial number I think it's made in 1986 (by looking on the internet), but not 100% sure. Some parts are missing as you can see on the picture. If anyone knows what those parts are exactly, please do tell. I know that 1 transformer is missing for sure.

Also, what's usual price for a working one?

Thanks!

20150309_163655.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20150309_162202.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's a 2203, single channel 100 watt head. Two filter cap version with horizontal inputs and PCB-mounted pots, which makes it past 1983, so could very well be a 1986. The vertical input models are usually a bit more desirable, but a working horizontal input 2203 in good condition should go for around a grand. This one is missing at least the output transformer, all the filter caps, the phase inverter tube (and from what I can tell the socket is missing as well), the second speaker output and the DI output. I'm not sure what's going on with the power tubes, they seem mismatched. It's impossible to tell for sure without getting a good look inside, but 2203's are quite simple machines and it could be possible to restore it, but not cheap. What people appreciate in the old 2203's is the iron, and in this case, you're missing it. In any case, it needs to be taken to a good amp tech - it's nowhere near in running condition, and unless you're very familiar with building amps, simply replacing the missing parts and firing it up would be extremely dangerous. Always keep in mind that tube amps operate at deadly voltages, and when working inside one, all it takes is one little slip and you might get electrocuted.

What really worries me is that this amp has been obviously parted out, and odds are it's for a reason. It might have a totalled input transformer or a fried PCB, so the original owner took what he needed and forgot it. If I were your friend, I'd probably use the chassis and the head shell (which seem to be in a pretty nice condition) as a base for a custom built P2P JCM. Could actually be cheaper than getting this one running, too!

It's a 2203, single channel 100 watt head. Two filter cap version with horizontal inputs and PCB-mounted pots, which makes it past 1983, so could very well be a 1986. The vertical input models are usually a bit more desirable, but a working horizontal input 2203 in good condition should go for around a grand. This one is missing at least the output transformer, all the filter caps, the phase inverter tube (and from what I can tell the socket is missing as well), the second speaker output and the DI output. I'm not sure what's going on with the power tubes, they seem mismatched. It's impossible to tell for sure without getting a good look inside, but 2203's are quite simple machines and it could be possible to restore it, but not cheap. What people appreciate in the old 2203's is the iron, and in this case, you're missing it. In any case, it needs to be taken to a good amp tech - it's nowhere near in running condition, and unless you're very familiar with building amps, simply replacing the missing parts and firing it up would be extremely dangerous. Always keep in mind that tube amps operate at deadly voltages, and when working inside one, all it takes is one little slip and you might get electrocuted.

What really worries me is that this amp has been obviously parted out, and odds are it's for a reason. It might have a totalled input transformer or a fried PCB, so the original owner took what he needed and forgot it. If I were your friend, I'd probably use the chassis and the head shell (which seem to be in a pretty nice condition) as a base for a custom built P2P JCM. Could actually be cheaper than getting this one running, too!

Thanks for taking the time to give me some info! :headbang: