Peavey Windsor VS JCM 800 ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN 20009

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe its the opposite. The less gain of the tube you use in the preamp, the harder the power stage must be driven to provide any sort of distortion. Hence a lower gain tube (12Au7 being the lowest, I believe almost 50% less gain than a 12Ax7), should give you a much nicer clean.

I don't think this is how it works - power amp tone and overdrive isn't a function of how much you have to turn up the master volume; all that matters is how much volume the power amp is putting out in the end. Whether you get this volume by having a really loud preamp or by having a quieter preamp and then making the power amp "work harder" to achieve the same volume doesn't really matter.

Along the same lines: you don't get more distortion out of a preamp by using low output pickups and turning the gain up higher, you know?

Along the same lines: you don't get more distortion out of a preamp by using low output pickups and turning the gain up higher, you know?

This is a completely different situation, the interaction between pre-amp and post-amp gain:

More preamp gain means more volume AND more clipping.

If you use a lower output preamp tube, your power amp needs to DO MORE to DISTORT. Hence why if you turn your PRE amp signal to a medium level and your POST amp signal to FULL and turn down your volume knob on your guitar you'll get a clean sound. Then if you raise your volume knob the amp starts to distort. You're driving the signal going INTO your amp more, so even if you start with a clean sound, by raising the input you're making the power amp distort.

I put all my stuff on one of those RadioShack PC Boards, makes it way easier to work with!

PICT7907.jpg

PICT7909.jpg

I really didn't dig the 12au7 tubes. I spent like 2 months wondering why my amp was sounding shit, even the other guys in the band told my ampeg fucking sucked (it's the best amp ever y'all), so i knew something was up, I was changing pickups and shit in my guitar every fucking week. BAM - i remembered that i had changed the preamp tubes. FUUUCK it's awesome as hell now.

How about an extra gain stage? We all do that to our 800's :D

That's a possibility. This amp is pretty simple like a JCM800 is, and it looks like most of the JCM800 mods work with this as well. I may add a post phase inverter master volume and maybe a pentode/triode switch after I get the clean channel thing sorted out. It's been a lot fun messing with this thing.

You can try something like the Soldano mod. It's pretty easy to add and you don't need to create another socket for an extra valve.

That's a possibility. This amp is pretty simple like a JCM800 is, and it looks like most of the JCM800 mods work with this as well. I may add a post phase inverter master volume and maybe a pentode/triode switch after I get the clean channel thing sorted out. It's been a lot fun messing with this thing.

So the master volume is really a channel volume then? (since I'm assuming it doesn't currently have a post-PI master)

So the master volume is really a channel volume then? (since I'm assuming it doesn't currently have a post-PI master)

It controls the overall volume of the entire preamp section.
A post phase inverter master volume would be after the phase inverter, supposedly letting the preamp drive the phase inverter for better overdrive etc at low volumes.

Here's a nice overview of master volume controls:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/mt24/Amp/mm/mvols.html

Fuck man when I saw this thread bumped I thought I would come in to see Sloan had posted :(

miss teh sloanz

Maybe we can rattle Sloan back into this thread.

My brother-in-law picked a Windsor for a steal this weekend, and with all of the hype about it being a Marshall clone I decided to have a look at the schematics.

... When they first came out on of the engineers here told me they were something like 2 componants different
= FAIL

So far on sheet 2 of the Windsor schematic:

Replace R1 and R2 with 176k.
Remove C40.
Add 100pf cap across pins 1 and 3 of V1.
Replace C39 with .022uf.
Add 1nf cap across lugs H and W of VR1.
Remove C2.
Remove R13.
Replace R4 with 10k.
Remove C5.
Replace C3 with .022uf.
Replace R14 with jumper.
Replace R5 with 820.
Replace C18 with jumper.
Remove C28.
Replace R56 with jumper.
Remove R70.
Remove C41.
Replace R65 with jumper.
Remove C6.
Jumper from pin 8 of V2 to previous junction of C6 and R36.
Remove R36.
Replace R3 with 33k.
Replace C24 with 470pf.

First post!
Hey, im really considering getting a windsor now, but after reading over this thread many times, i still cant figure out exactly what mods sloan ended up keeping and putting on the little board? could somebody help me out and tell me what hes done (that hes kept) and what the final controls do? Thanks for your help anyway.