Peavey Windsor VS JCM 800 ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN 20009

I know rite!
It doesn't really have any extra bells and whilstles. The BOOST is basically a master volume boost, which i think would be great for leads, that's all i ever really wanted, just a louder sound - and the FX LOOP is also switchable. I didn't get a footswitch with it so whatever.

CLIPS!!!

I recorded these with the FX LOOP running to my interface, but since I had the MASTER VOL way down, I had to crank my interface's gain up a whole bunch to get a hot signal, so there is more noise than there should be. I'm running it through Revalver 3's 'Misc | SLO' speaker simulation, everything set straight up at 12 noon.

Amp settings:
Preamp: 2 o'clock
Bass, Mid, Treb: All at 12 o'clock
Master: just barely 8 o'clock. basically just where you can start to hear the amp.
Resonance, Presence, and Texture: All of them cranked, but I don't think they're going to have any affect on the clip since they deal with the power stage.

Guitar:
Epiphone goth LP with GFS Crunchy PAT (PAF) in the bridge.

Single notes: http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/52/01_windsor_stock_dontbelieve.mp3
Chords: http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/52/02_windsor_stock_emerald.mp3

Here's my three clips in a convenient video format.
Doesn't sound as good, but it's for the lazy peeps that don't want to click mp3's. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sloan, if you stop posting here any time soon... I guess we know what happened. :lol:

But those clips are nice, you delivered the RIFFZ!

Think the guitar player in my band is gonna be picking one of these up today on ebay. Seems like its be a good metal amp with a tubescreamer in front. If he doesn't like it then he can probably put it back on ebay for the same as what he bought it for.

Ok, I didn't get to mess with the amp today since I was working for fucking 12hrs BUT I worked with the engineer dude today and got time to ask a few questions.
He suggested that upping the value of the resistors in the Voltage Divider circuits to perhaps cut down on some gain.
For anyone interested, R53 and R54 (both 470K), are the ones I'm talking about changing, I may try some 1M resistors.

I had him take a look at the Texture control, and he thought it was fucking crazy because it would add so much distortion. haha.
Since I haven't been able to use this at even practice volumes yet, I haven't messed with the Texture control yet.

He mentioned that the Resonance and Presence controls were basically feedback loops to the phase inverter tube. I asked him if they were kinda like a tone stack, but he said they're a little different. BTW, these controls really seem to have quite an impact on the sound, the Resonance can really tighten or loosen up the lows - i'm guessing somewhat like a Dual Rec's bold/spongy switch.

Also, I asked him if I could mess anything up messing with the preamp section and he said not really, so that's cool! IMMA GO WYLD Y'ALLS!

ALSO ALSO: If anyone reading has any real amp mod/build experience, feel free as hell to chime in and help out. I've always tinkered with shit, but I've never gone quite in depth like this, so it's basically BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO FUCKING UP YOUR SHIT. damn.

Hahahaha, I admire you for your adventurous spirit dude, and look forward to reading its legacy! :lol: One thing though; the Bold/Spongy switch on a rectifier is actually a variac switch, so it regulates the amount of voltage going through the amp, spongy being less voltage naturally; basically it really only seems useful for extending power tube life (even the manual kinda states this), cuz it sounds like crap to me! That's interesting that the resonance and presence knobs affect the phase inverter; I had always wondered how they worked exactly, and I'd imagine it's pretty similar for the presence knobs on most amps! (except the modern red channel on Rectifiers, where the presence knob is part of the pre-amp tone stack)

It's cool how you're so into this. I was the same when I was getting my 5150 II modded, the guys at the shop simply put it "you own the best sounding 5150 on earth."

I've always been into tinkering and tweaking stuff and knowing electronics has to be one of the most useful things to learn ever, i've been getting into it more lately. Also, the fact that so many people were talking shit about this amp without bringing any facts to the table drove me even more to check it out and just let people know the truth about this amp. I mean seriously, it's fucking awesome for the price. I really want to use it with my cover band gig, but I've gotta have a little more clean action to make it practical!

Since my last post, I have removed C27, and C28. These are cathode resister bypass capacitors (just like C5), they basically let more signal pass by the cathode resistor and into the next gain stage, therefore contributing to higher gain. I definitely noticed a difference this time, the gain was lowered a bit, but it still doesn't really "clean up", still kinda gritty. Also, note that all this so far, is with the master WAY WAY down, so this shit may actually be working at practice/gig volumes. haha.