Marshall Valvestate vs. Valvestate II vs. AVT

Rex Rocker

Call me Hugo!
Dec 21, 2007
Mexico
So... what is the difference between these?

I saw the thread about the 8100 in here and got kinda interested in these. These seem like pretty good deals in the used market to do some jamming and maybe some recording.

Which of these is the best-regarded? Why? What did they change between these three series?

Thank you.

So it's basically the same basic core sounds with Clean/OD1/OD2, but with added features for each generation?

So it's basically the same basic core sounds with Clean/OD1/OD2, but with added features for each generation?

Looks like they all have ECC83 preamp tube in them

http://www.marshallamps.com/archive/vs1table1.html
http://www.marshallamps.com/archive/vs2table1.html
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=AVT150HXT&pageType=SPECS

Head comparison specs:

VS1 8100 (mono), 8200 (stereo):
8100: 100W, 8200: 2x100
2 Channels
8100: Mono Reverb, 8200: stereo Reverb in 8200
8100: No chorus, 8200: chorus
8100: Mono FX loop, 8200: Stereo FX loop
8100: 1 Line out, 8200: 2 Line out
Weight 12/17kg

VS2 VS100RH:
100W
3 Channels
Headphone jack
Reverb
No Chorus
FX Loop
Line Out
Tone Shift (whatever it is)
Weight 14.5kg

AVT150HXT:
150W
4 channels
Acoustic Sim
2 Digital fx
Parallel FX loop
Scoop/Bright switch
Emulated line out (what ever the emulated means)
Headphone output jack
Weight 16kg

Thanks for the replies!

Stef and Trevoir... why do you think the AVT sounded like shit? What do you think was different between the AVT and VS's?

The only one I vaguely remember playing out of these is the AVT and I thought it was alright.

Anssi, thanks man. Seems like the AVT's also have a 'scoop' switch rather than a 'contour' knob. The contour knob seems more convenient.

The original valvestates were UK made.
The 8100 is the one to get.
These go for less than the price of a decent distortion pedal.
The later ones sound terrible.
Watch the ebay prices go up now that all the UM guys will be after them:lol:

Takes a bit of getting used to the contour control. I have been setting it between 8 and 10 o'clock to get best tones. You will still need to cut a bit of 1k and 5k in the mix.

I have had one set up in the rehearsal room for years (I let the live room in the studio out as a jam room) and never tried micing it up until the other day and was blown away by the clarity and how easy it was to sit it in the mix. Doesn't sound as full as a Recto or 6505 but doesn't require as much EQing to get it to sit. I will be using it a lot more from now on.
Another plus is because they have solid state power amps you can run them without a speaker load using the fx send into an impulse.

I still have my AVT50 combo here, it was my first practice amp.
Still use it too... yeah... for sitting on it during my home workout sessions when doing curls. :lol:
My POD 2.0 into computer speakers sounded better for home practice. The AVT is just bees in a can, like a big fizz generator.

A guy from the band we shared our first rehearsal room with had the 8100 head. That one could sound pretty good, at least if one didn't scoop all the mids like he did.

From what I've read the Valvestate IIs don't get as "brutal" as the originals. Whatever that means, there's probably no need to bother with anything else than the 8100.

8100s were good and VS100Rs were alright. They go for next to nothing used as well.

AVTs are just MGs with a valve that doesnt do anything.

I borrowed an 8100 from a friend for a month / month and a half about 3 years ago. I really liked it, even with the valvestate cab, but I always felt like it didn't have enough gain. Maybe that was just due to my lack of experience of setting such amps up back then. Otherwise it had great sounds.

Thanks for the replies!

Stef and Trevoir... why do you think the AVT sounded like shit? What do you think was different between the AVT and VS's?

The only one I vaguely remember playing out of these is the AVT and I thought it was alright.

Used to have an AVT years ago. I thought it was ok at the time but now that I've used some decent amps and then gone back to playing AVT's at some practice spaces I realise how bad they are. Always sound pretty buzzy and just generally a bit crap.

The older ones (I think it was a VS100R? or possibly an 8080?) sounded far better. More meat to the sound and with some messing you can actually coax something pretty decent sounding out of them. I should really pick one up actually as a backup amp for gigging with.