Marshan - Songs From Southern And Baseline

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Marshan - Songs From Southern And Baseline
2004 - Funbag Records
By Philip Whitehouse

marshan.jpg

When I'm getting fed up of hearing dodgy power metal or grim black metal bands (which seem to arrive through my letterbox by the truckload), I can always count on Plastic Head Distribution to swing me something weird from one of the myriad of labels under their wing. Usually I can't review these oddities (how many people on this site would read a review of a hip-hop band called Cooker, for instance?), but Marshan might interest a few of you out there. They're a Scottish quartet who kick out the Southern-fried bluesy hard rock with a rare talent, and this disc is a celebration of dirty rock 'n' roll grooves, blues-scale lead breaks and don't-give-a-shit attitude. Which is great, obviously.

This is an eclectic bunch of songs - one minute reeking of Crosby, Stills & Nash while happily floating along on 60s hippy-esque psychedelic grooves the next, but it all hangs together in a satisfying whole. The harmonicas within the cotton-picking acoustic stylings of 'Sweet Things Suck' fit as perfectly as the vocal harmonies and jaunty pianos within the headtrip of a stoner rocker that is 'Roger, Heat The Plate'. I'd love to see these guys playing in some whiskey-swigging, sawdust on the floor venue just to witness them in what would presumably be their ideal environment.

It's obviously not going to be to everyone's tastes - there are no double-bass drums or tortured howls about strangling people with their own entrails here, don't you know - but for those looking for a fast-track back to our music's roots and have a foot-stomping good time along with it, you could do far worse than check these guys out.

7.5/10

Marshan Official Website
Funbag Records Website