Martin Axenrot DW Endorsement

One long thread in which LedOpeth states his opinions as fact in every post, and informs others that their opinions are, in fact, wrong

ive made 5 posts here, 2 of them are agreeing with other posts, 1 is saying that dw is overrated and sonor is better imo, another one is telling MIX that dw is not "the fastest period", and then this one, so your post was pretty much a waste

I have yet to hear drums that sound better acoustically than Sonor. They have been my favourite brand ever since I learned of Meshuggah, and this has continued well into my engineering career, where it's always been a pleasure to deal with them in a recording situation.

YES! i totally agree

i bought a Sonor S-Class Pro 6pc about 2 months ago, i'm LOVING it! My buddy is an audio engineer, he keeps insisting i bring them in his studio so he can hear how well they record...

Just picked up the Pearl Eliminator double pedal too, man...the response is amazing.

here's right after the unboxing - (sorry to thread jack, i'm just glad somebody else appreciates Sonor's sound as much as i)

4cr8.jpg

:headbang:
If I understood him correctly he applied for the DW endorsement himself, rather than that DW approached him, and was pleasantly surprised and proud when they decided to support him. The earlier TAMA-endorsement was a left-over from Lopez, he just sort of took over the contract when he joined the band, so I think this felt pretty sweet for him. Axe is a very nice guy btw.

well you werent far from it, we at dw dont go looking for anybody, if anyone wants a dw endorsement they have to come to us, i know this because i work and boxed axenrots kit, and it is a huge white one with most metal sizes and double 24' bass drums!!! i knew wearing opeth shirts to work would pay off as the person in charge of approving endorsee's alreaady knew who they were because of me!!

I love Paiste cymbals, but I must agree with whoever said that they are not absolutely fantastic metal cymbals. Jazz, though, is another story. =D

I have a Sonar set in my living room right now. It's not a bad set, but it isn't a great one. It's just a practice set. My dad has a 1972 Ludwig set tucked away in our garage and it is beautiful. Modern Ludwigs just don't compare, imho.

And what about heads? I personally prefer Aquarian, but I must admit that i really haven't experimented with heads. I've only used Aquarian, Remo, and at one time I used a Pearl head that came with a marching snare. And the Remo heads were, and are still cheap ones. >.<

I'm a fan of Remo Emperors and Ambassadors (both clear, and the batter head 2-ply) for toms. Powerstroke III seems nice on snares. My mind isn't quite made up about kicks yet. I'd really have to hear a greater variety of heads on them.

Last drum session I did the drummer had some Aquarians on the resonant head of the toms, and Pinstripes on the batter side, and it came up quite nice. Very solid overall tom sound, with just enough resonance to not be over-bearing... plenty of attack too. I don't know really. I think I may still prefer the Emperors and Ambassadors.

For me, the Meshuggah tom sound is where it's at. I love low-tuned toms with heaps of depth and body to them, with the resonant head tuned higher to kill the resonance quicker.

May be some more drum sessions in the works soon, so hopefully I'll have some more opinions in coming weeks.

I'm a fan of Remo Emperors and Ambassadors (both clear, and the batter head 2-ply) for toms. Powerstroke III seems nice on snares. My mind isn't quite made up about kicks yet. I'd really have to hear a greater variety of heads on them.

Last drum session I did the drummer had some Aquarians on the resonant head of the toms, and Pinstripes on the batter side, and it came up quite nice. Very solid overall tom sound, with just enough resonance to not be over-bearing... plenty of attack too. I don't know really. I think I may still prefer the Emperors and Ambassadors.

For me, the Meshuggah tom sound is where it's at. I love low-tuned toms with heaps of depth and body to them, with the resonant head tuned higher to kill the resonance quicker.

May be some more drum sessions in the works soon, so hopefully I'll have some more opinions in coming weeks.

I like a range of toms, not just low-tuned ones. The higher toms contrast well with the bass, imo.
I definately agree with the resonance. When drums have too much resonance they kill the effect of the next couple of notes played.