Interview with Brent Smedley of Iced Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

paranoidmexican009

Dirty Mexicano
Jun 13, 2007
Houston, TX
www.myspace.com
[Adam] First of all, I'd like to thank you for taking time out of your schedule to answer my questions. It's an honor to have you answer them as I am a HUGE fan of Iced Earth and your drumming.
[Brent] Hi Adam,
First off let me say thank you for your time and this interview, it is
my honor to do it for you.

[A] Where are you from? What's the Metal Scene like there?

I am from Jacksonville, Florida in the U.S.A. The metal scene here
is o.k. could be a lot better, could be a lot worse. There are a lot of
bands and a lot of places to play, not really a tremendous amount of support from the fans.

[A] How long have you been in Iced Earth and any other bands?

I played in Iced Earth from 96-99 and now from October 2007 until forever. I have been playing in bands since 1986 from the age of 16.

[A] What is it like playing with Iced Earth?

It is totally awesome and amazing to play with Iced Earth. Iced Earth fans are truly the best fans in the world.

[A] How does playing in front of thousands of screaming fans feel?

It is totally awesome and amazing to play with Iced Earth. Iced
Earth fans are truly the best fans in the world.

[A] What are your major influences? Musical and otherwise.

My major influences musically are Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Pantera, Queensryche, AC/DC, Tony MacAlpine, and so many others. My main influence as far as drummers go would be my all time favorite Dean Castronova. Other influences in my life would be my mother, Grandparents, my brother, and my wife, also Jon Schaffer.

[A] When did you start playing drums and why?

I started playing drums at the age of 7. I began by playing piano, but soon switched to drums. My next door neighbor, a guy by the name of John Weldon gave me my start into drums and many years later I took 4 and a half years of lesson from the late great jimmy Glenn Sr.

[A] Do you have any tips for those at home who might consider learning to play the drums?

Tips for those considering playing drums...Get a drum set, get with a good teacher, learn to read music, study your favorite drummers, but the main tip is to practice hard and to practice consistently, record yourself and listen and make notes on your performances and rehearsals. Also, protect your hearing. Wear earplugs when playing at high volumes and realize your hearing is precious and easily damaged

[A] Are there any new bands in the scene currently that have caught your eye?

A new band in the scene that has caught my attention is Evergrey. I also really like Nickleback.

[A] If someone has never heard your music, how would you describe it to them?

For some one that has never heard my music, I would describe it as Heavy and powerful with lots of melody, energy, emotion, and deep meaningful lyrics.

[A] What do you consider to be your best work?

I consider my best work to be the Iced Earth records "Alive in
Athens", "Overture of the Wicked", "Framing Armageddon", and "Something Wicked part 2" (due out summer 2008). Also two other records...the first by my old band Oracle called "As Darkness Reigns" on Massacre records (released in 1993) and the second by my late band Tempest Reign "Catastrophic"

[A] How do you find time for the band? Do you have daytime job?

I find time for the band easily. All of us in the band schedule our
lives around the bands schedule. In our down time I give drum lessons in my home town.

[A] Equipment, what kind do you use and why?

s far as equipment goes...I have a Pearl and A Remo drum set. The band owns a DW drum kit which is totally amazing. I recorded on the DW kit. For cymbals I use a mixture of Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian. With a preference on Sabian. I use Vic Firth drumsticks and Tama Iron cobra bass drum pedals.

[A] How do the crowds react to your live shows?

The crowds reaction at the shows is always amazing and
unbelievable. Like I said Iced earth fans are the best in the world.

[A] Are there any band stories you could share or any secrets you are willing to spill?

As for band stories, is this an adult interview or for general
public? Just kidding

[A] If someone wanted to see your show is there a place your band frequently gigs?

If some one wants to see a show the best place to check out
upcoming shows is the band website at icedearth.com The band plays all over the world, so odds are we"ll be playing a show near anyone at some time or another

[A] Any up coming dates you would like to talk about?

up coming shows... The European tour begins around October 1st, followed by the American tour which should start some time around February, and the third leg of the tour will take us to Brazil, South America, Australia, Japan, and Mexico. Within the European tour we are playing 11 shows with Heaven and Hell in England, Scotland, and Wales. These shows are in November.

[A] If you could tour with any band, what band would it be and why?

If I could tour with any band it would be Iced Earth because of
their integrity and uncompromising attitude and dedication to the fans. I would also like to one day tour with me and my brother's band Odyssey, to share our music with the world and to show him some of the places I've been and what it is really like to tour the world.

[A] How did you get into Iced Earth?

How I got into Iced Earth is a rather interesting story. It goes
something like this...I had heard of Iced Earth and seen an ad for
Century Media records (the bands record label at the time) in a magazine. I sent for a free catalog for CM. A few days after the catalog arrived I received a Century Media sampler Cd which had one song from most of their top bands on it. I believe it was the 2nd Cm sampler they made. Anyhow the Cd had the song "Last December" on it. I liked the song so much that I put the intro from it on my answering machine. I was referred to the band by a mutual friend by the name of Steve Woodham from Alabama. So when Jon Schaffer called me to ask me about auditioning he heard his song on my answering machine...I"ll never forget that message. It seemed it was fate for me to play in Iced Earth. I was the next to the
last person to audition, they had me play "Last December" and "Dante's Inferno". The rest as they say is history.

[A]The promo version of Framing Armageddon was leaked some time ago. How do you feel about people downloading albums before they are officially released?

s to how I feel about downloading of music. I think it is a crime
and a shame that so much theft of music goes on today. If you were a master painter would you give your paintings away? Or a builder, would you build your homes or offices for free? Downloading has reduced the Music industry by 20%. I think it is one of the biggest problems facing the Music business in modern times.

[A] Where can metal fans pick up your CD's, t-shirts, and other merchandise?

You can find Iced Earth Cds in most record stores...Best Buy and
FYE to name a couple.As for t-shirts you can find some for sale in the Metal magazines. As for other merchandise you might check icedearth.com or come to a show.

[A] Do you have formal training, as in did you study at institutions and clinics?

I took 4 and a half years of private drum lessons, a year and a
half of Marimba lessons (a mallet percussion instrument), I played in
school band my last 4 years of high school including Marching band,
Symphonic Band, Percussion ensemble, and Jazz band. I also studied Music at the University of North Florida, taking Drumset and Percussion lessons, and Percussion ensemble.

[A] Do you have any goals that you want to accomplish with the band now?

Goals I wish to accomplish with the band would consist of making the best records we can possibly make, giving the best live shows we can and staying true to ourselves, the music we love to play, and to stay true to the fans.

[A] Well, I'm not going to take up too much of your time, Brent.
Thank you for the interview, it's been such an honor interviewing you. Any last words?

Thank you as well for the interview, it has been my honor.
As for any last words...I would like to say thank you to Jon Schaffer
for bringing me back into the family and thank you to the Iced Earth
fans for welcoming me back into the fold. I look forward to seeing all of you on the Wicked World Tour...Stay Metal

Fuck this guy and his anti-downloading bullshit. A painter giving away art (losing something in actuality) is not to be likened to copying something and either distributing it OR using it for personal use. VICTIMLESS CRIME ALERT. The only reason a shitload of people have even heard Iced Earth is probably from d/ling their songs on Kazaa 6 years ago. FUCK HIM!

Fuck this guy and his anti-downloading bullshit. A painter giving away art (losing something in actuality) is not to be likened to copying something and either distributing it OR using it for personal use. VICTIMLESS CRIME ALERT. The only reason a shitload of people have even heard Iced Earth is probably from d/ling their songs on Kazaa 6 years ago. FUCK HIM!

No, fuck you, you ignorant twat. D/L is hitting metal hard. Most metal bands struggle with the paltry sums they get from record labels, it's now getting to the point where bands are getting less and less in terms of advances from labels meaning studio time is limited, tours are not given full backing and artists generally are a lot worse off. Most of the metal bands we love struggle to get by with the lack of cash and this has definitely been exacerbated by the loss in revenue through illegal downloading. If you love metal, and want to support the scene- buy the artist's CDs, otherwise eventually you will kill off underground metal, bands will have no cash to record and tour. Downloading mp3s is not a victimless crime. Band's like IE put months and months of work into producing killer albums and they should be duly compensated. I bet you're the kind of person that has hundreds of GB of d/l mp3 and claim you are you are fan of metal. If there was a way to totally prevent illegal mp3 downloading I'd support it.

Bands that suck (like Iced Earth) don't deserve to survive.

I buy all albums by my favourite bands, even ones I have downloaded.

And furthermore, those douchebag record companies need to cut the crap and take a smaller goddamn cut.

Edit: Bands play live. Thats usually how you make teh monies.

Downloading has not hurt metal bands in any way. I'm sorry Lars can't buy his pool or Dave can't build his house, but I can't buy their CD, so fuck 'em. However, bands that I like I also buy when I can, either merch or CDs, usually both. Downloading can't compare to CDs in quality, but I don't have the money to go order CDs like a lot of people.

Releasing the music you love should be a privilege anyway. The only thing a musician should be paid money for is touring, as that actually demands sacrifice, whereas writing and recording music is just fun.

That said, fuck nowadays Iced Earth.

:lol: I know.

Some random British idiot who has no idea what he's talking about said:
No, fuck you, you ignorant twat. D/L is hitting metal hard. Most metal bands struggle with the paltry sums they get from record labels, it's now getting to the point where bands are getting less and less in terms of advances from labels meaning studio time is limited, tours are not given full backing and artists generally are a lot worse off. Most of the metal bands we love struggle to get by with the lack of cash and this has definitely been exacerbated by the loss in revenue through illegal downloading. If you love metal, and want to support the scene- buy the artist's CDs, otherwise eventually you will kill off underground metal, bands will have no cash to record and tour. Downloading mp3s is not a victimless crime. Band's like IE put months and months of work into producing killer albums and they should be duly compensated. I bet you're the kind of person that has hundreds of GB of d/l mp3 and claim you are you are fan of metal. If there was a way to totally prevent illegal mp3 downloading I'd support it.

Funny you mention supporting underground metal, considering downloading music is extremely helpful for new bands to even be heard. Fuck bands who got famous. They should already be making enough fucking money as Ender mentioned. Making music should be about making art. You are not supposed to make a living from art; if you find a way to, you are a lucky son of a bitch and all the better off, I say. If you don't, you stay doing it for yourself and for the people who enjoy your music using any resources you have. I have around 40 gigabytes of downloaded music, but I also own over 200 CDs, of bands I love and support, so don't preach to me.

DEFINITION OF FUCKING VICTIMLESS CRIME FOR RETARDED CHILDREN:
A Victimless Crime, also known as Consensual Crime, is any activity which does not physically harm a person or property

Now get the fuck out, I have never seen you post here and I don't want to see you post here if you think bands should get a bazillion dollars for everything they do. They should feel lucky their music has reached someone who gives a shit. People who download Iced Earth albums and mp3s are FANS. Fans who cannot afford the albums available at WAL-MART BEST BUY FYE (extortionate fucking prices!) who still like the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.