Iced Earth

Minds Chaos

New Metal Member
Nov 12, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'm having an argument with someone on another board whether Iced Earth is power metal or not...what are your opinions? I say Iced Earth is power metal/heavy metal, but he says they have zero elements of power metal. Am I way off?

I don't see how they're power metal at all. I don't like them, but they are definitely more traditional metal/thrash. Power metal generally has more neoclassical elements, a more melody/chorus oriented style as opposed to riff dominated style, more grandiose/pompous arrangements, and is really completely different.... Iced Earth has a lot more in common with Testament then Helloween (not that those bands are the be all end all of PM and thrash, just an easy reference point :) ).

Originally posted by Orion Crystal Ice
I don't see how they're power metal at all. I don't like them, but they are definitely more traditional metal/thrash. Power metal generally has more neoclassical elements, a more melody/chorus oriented style as opposed to riff dominated style, more grandiose/pompous arrangements, and is really completely different.... Iced Earth has a lot more in common with Testament then Helloween (not that those bands are the be all end all of PM and thrash, just an easy reference point :) ).

I don't like Iced Earth either, and I pretty much agree with this post.

I don't consider them power metal.

To me, Iced Earth is basically Ride the Lightning meets Number of the Beast:p They definitely do lean more to the thrash/classic metal style, with really the only power metal type elements of the music are the vocals.

Originally posted by Ralphie
they are glam in its purest form

Well you're an idiot. Moving on.

Iced Earth is widely considered American power metal, which is basically an amalgam of what some of you fellas have already described. Traditional heavy metal meets thrash riffery (is that a word?) with clean, strong vocals. Jag Panzer, Onward & even Nevermore to a degree all would fit this bill.

iced earth is one of my favorite bands, and i consider them power metal because of songs like "dracula". You cannot deny the power metal elements in the chorus of that song.....

Originally posted by markgugs
Well you're an idiot. Moving on.

Iced Earth is widely considered American power metal, which is basically an amalgam of what some of you fellas have already described. Traditional heavy metal meets thrash riffery (is that a word?) with clean, strong vocals. Jag Panzer, Onward & even Nevermore to a degree all would fit this bill.

Onward is very good. Their first album was nothing special but I have Reawaken and it's :headbang:

Just wanted to say that :D

Whoever that was who is musically irresponsible enough to use Mudvayne in their signature could not possibly know ANYTHING about a group as talented as JAG PANZER. Leave that alone and go listen to your barfing vocalled, shitstained "music"...

Hahahah....

Well I was listening to Days of Purgatory, but for the sake of this post I'll pop in Horror Show.

Anyways, they tend to shift from Power to a thrashier style. Take a song like.....Damien, a bit more ont he power side. Then on that same CD you could check out Jack or Wolf, both a bit more thrashy. I think their dramatic singing makes people consider them Power Metal, but their "galloping" guitar, double bass usage and bass that is more than filler noise makes them more towards thrash than power in my opinion. also, their CD's vary from style. While Dark Saga was a bastard CD if you will, (It wasn't bad, mind you, I'm not reffering to it's quality) it was pretty different in style and was based on Spawn. Night of The Stormrider had an emotional effect and some concept sort of ideas. Horror Show wasn't so emotional, more story telling with some thrashy songs and some Power songs. Something Wicked, While Stand Alone, Disciples of The Lie and My Own Savior were pretty much thrash, you can't argue that this CD was closer to Power Metal than their previous CD's. It will be interesting to hear their newest CD, The Glorious Burden, this spring.

Listen to Days of Purgatory if you want thrashy Iced Earth.

Some of their stuff has power metal elements. Mainly a thrash band though. The song "Prophecy" is a good example of how they move from power into thrash, through within some of their songs. It's a great track.

Originally posted by Pagan's Mind
Whoever that was who is musically irresponsible enough to use Mudvayne in their signature could not possibly know ANYTHING about a group as talented as JAG PANZER. Leave that alone and go listen to your barfing vocalled, shitstained "music"...

Oh really, and why is that? Maybe someone who really hasn't been here for very long (hmmm, 11 posts....you maybe?) is somewhat irresponsible for spouting such elitist bullshit about someone they know absolutely nothing about.