Let's talk about power metal

1hellspawn

New Metal Member
Jul 10, 2016
Hello there,

It's been a while since I've decided to listen to metal again. More specifically Blind Guardian/Iced Earth/Demons & Wizard/Opeth.

I'm not sure which I prefer the most, but Iced Earth at times is more interesting with its more "thrashy" feel and amazing riffs.

Do you like Power Metal? Would you mind recommending some bands/songs for me?

Thanks,
Spawn

I love Power metal. Helloween are one of the best. I would recommend Iron Fire. They are a really great/underrated band. Rhapsody of Fire,Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Stormwarrior. I really like 3 inches of blood also, but I wouldn't say they were straight up Power metal. They can get pretty heavy 

Last edited:
Reactions: 1hellspawn
You must listen to this bands:
Lost Horizon
Running Wild
Gamma Ray
Savage Circus
Iron Savior
Primal Fear
At Vance
Divinefire
Dream Evil
Freedom Call
Grave Digger
Heaven's Gate
Kamelot
Masterplan
Metalium
Nocturnal Rites
Outworld
Pagan's Mind
Myrath
Persuader
Silent Force
Stratovarius
Theocracy
Vision Divine

I do like Power Metal, it's what got me back into Metal! Altough recently I've moved away from Power Metal more towards Pagan Metal and Black Metal as well as some Melodic Death.

Some bands I enjoy:
Hammerfall

Blind Guardian

Sabaton

Nocturnal Rites

Dreamtale

Iron Mask

Halloween did it best on Keepers II. Since then it seems to have become the formula or template bands have used since. The other bands that float my boat are Kamelot, Nocturnal Rites and I agree with an earlier post about Lost Horizon. The did two albums. Cool stuff. Power metal has just left me cold these days for some reason.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Symphony X is so good :eek:
A lot of the bands you suggested here rings me bells from a distant past. So I guess I'm not as outdated as I thought I was :)
I'll be sure to check out all of this music within no particular order. Well I remember hearing good things about Stratovaris so I'll start with those.

Sincerely,
Spawn

Thanks for all of your replies.

Symphony X is so good :eek:
A lot of the bands you suggested here rings me bells from a distant past. So I guess I'm not as outdated as I thought I was :)
I'll be sure to check out all of this music within no particular order. Well I remember hearing good things about Stratovaris so I'll start with those.

Sincerely,
Spawn
Visions is definitely the best place to start with Stratovaris. Cracking album

helstar's NOSFERATU blew my mind when i was first getting into power metal. i strongly urge you check it out, especially given you favour stuff with a 'thrashy' feel.

Reactions: Phylactery
Mostly not a fan though not super familiar. I don't care for the euro/epic varieties, more preferring stuff bordering on manowar/heavy metal variety. Stratovarius is okay for the more technical style.