Top 5 Power Metal Bands.

1. Helloween
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Manticora
4. Stratovarius
5. Blind Guardian

Except for Manticora, all of the above bands' latest albums have been a bit disappointing. Possibly why I've gone off Power Metal a bit in the last few years.

Man, you didn't like Gambling? I thought it was their best in years.

Agree with you otherwise, though.

Yeah Sonata's new album was one big mess and How can anyone who likes power metal even a little bit not like Gamma Ray? They are heavy and have some ballsy riffs.

Gamma Ray up to No World Order are all pretty good, the last 3 albums are pure crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, you didn't like Gambling? I thought it was their best in years.

Nah man, I thought it was awesome and their best since The Dark Ride. I was referring to Unarmed. That was a real head scratcher... I mean, it was commendable that they tried something new for the best of, but the execution was a bit off. I thought the ballads (Forever and One, A Tale that Wasn't right) were pretty well done, except for Deris's vocals which sounded over Autotuned. The Keeper's Trilogy was pretty good though, and more like how I was expecting the rest of the album to be. I've got high hopes for their next album, unlike Sonata and Stratovarius. I've just read the post on BG's site about their next album and that sounds promising though, more like ANatO than ATitM.

Yeah Sonata's new album was one big mess and How can anyone who likes power metal even a little bit not like Gamma Ray? They are heavy and have some ballsy riffs.

Gamma Ray up to No World Order are all pretty good, the last 3 albums are pure crap.

I didn't mind To the Metal, it certainly wasn't great though. Gamma Ray seem to have lost that slightly eccentric Kai Hanson touch that made the older albums (and the first 3 Helloween albums) so good. It seems like he's just going through the motions a bit now.

As for Sonata, when I first heard Flag in the Ground, I just sat there with a massive stupid grin thinking, 'Fuck yeah! The album's going back to the style of the first four!' Then when I heard The Days of Grays, all I could think was, 'At least it's better than Unia.'

1. Helloween
2. Sonata Arctica
3. Manticora
4. Stratovarius
5. Blind Guardian

Except for Manticora, all of the above bands' latest albums have been a bit disappointing. Possibly why I've gone off Power Metal a bit in the last few years.

Blind Guardian's latest was a total disappointment. Aside from a few good songs it was so bland. I really hope their next effort hearkens back to the days of Imaginations From the Other Side and Nightfall in Middle Earth.

Not to mention songwriting. The only good songs are: "Scalds and Shadows," "Turn the Page" and "Otherland." Other than those, the melodies are just awful and uninspiring. It sounds as though, at times, they actually went out of their way to avoid the great chord progressions and melodies that made them so awesome on earlier releases.

I didn't TOTALLY mind Twist, but as I mentioned elsewhere, "chord progressions" aren't what I focus on most in music. Melodies, yes, and there were some uninspired melodies on there. But I've heard worse than "Fly". Weird song, but I liked it, and Finding Neverland WAS a great movie. :p Anyways, if their next album sounds more like "Sacred", I'm happy. That song rules.

And yes, I felt the exact same way when I heard FitG--then I heard the rest of the album and, other than Last Amazing Grays, actually liked it less than Unia. From the fifth track on, the album might as well not exist. No power, no adrenaline, no poignancy on the whiny ballads. I miss Sonata circa 2003.

As for Unarmed, well, that doesn't exactly COUNT, does it? :p I had a good laugh at the Dr. Stein thing and I did like the Keeper trilogy recording. But don't worry, it was just a one-off. Helloween are NOT repeating the 1991-1993 debacle.