any Iced Earth fans?

They were pretty good when they had Matt Barlow in the band, and the albums before him are pretty good aswell, Night Of The Stomrider is one of my favourites in their catalogue

But since Matt left, I just cant really get into them, whilst the music is still good, I cant stand Rippers vocals, without Matt now, its just lame

I love Iced Earth.
They are one of the bands that initially got me back into metal in the late 90's.
I didn't know that there were still bands in the underground playing true metal.
I also want to add that while Barlow might be the best fit for them, Owens does a damn fine job (Both live and in the studio).

Looking forward to the new one.
(I haven't picked up the single).

I'm a fan of Iced Earth, Burnt Offerings is my favorite album of theirs. The thing is, it's easy to overdose on them if you listen too often. I will say that seeing them live was the best concert experience of my life. Check out this reaction I had to seeing them live on another website a couple years ago:

"I have seen so many live concerts that listing them would take much longer, and I want to get to the point. Let's just say that I have had plenty of experience at metal shows and I know how to critique what I hear at a concert whether it's in a stadium, arena, or small club type venue which is what this was.

A little over a week ago, I drug my wife to go see Iced Earth. This is the only band that I have liked for years that I still haven't been able to see live, mainly because they don't tour around here often. Anyway, the setting was perfect. The concert was in an old theater which is now a bar/dance club in Lawrence Kansas and the turnout was not very good. Tim Owens (the lead singer who formerly sang for Judas Priest - you know, the whole Rock Star movie plot thing) even said "wow, feels like we're playing a private party tonight.

Anyway, I have never heard a band sound so good in my life. Keep in mind that I have seen my favorite band Metallica 4 times - those shows were not as good as this one. Tim's voice sounded so good. He was always right on tune, and he hit ALL the super high notes (and there were many of them) with such ease, it really looked very easy for him. That's the thing about metal vocalists, live they usually pale in comparison to how they sound on cd.

That's just part of why it was so good. John Schaffer on guitar was impeccable. Iced Earth uses a lot of triplet style, thrashy riffs (imagine Iron Maiden combined with old Metallica and your pretty close) that sound like they would be impossible to play live. I have Iced Earth's live cd and had always assumed that a lot of doctoring went into it because it sounds so good. Well, let me tell you, that really is how they sound live (actually better) and I found myself shaking my head in awe during the concert because it sounded so good.

I often have that disappointed feeling right after a band I like starts playing its first song of the night. It's like "so this is what they are going to sound like...). It's never a huge letdown, but I have to admit that for most bands that's how it is. I'm not saying it's not worth seeing them, it's just not as good as you hoped it would be. Then there are a few bands that didn't give me that let down feeling. The ones I can think of right now are, Metallica, Tool, Dream Theater, and surely some others that I can't think of right now.

With the Iced Earth concert, it was the first time that a band far exceeded my expectations. Not only that, but they sounded so good that I didn't even mind that much that they didn't play one single song off of my favorite album of their's, Burnt Offerings.

Even my wife, who was dragged against her will, was impressed. She said after that she recognized a lot of the songs because she had heard me playing them at home and she said they sounded pretty good (huge praise from her). She also couldn't believe Tim's voice (she also seemed to like the fact that Rock Star was based on his life - she didn't know that before).

Anyway, if anyone is still reading, has anyone else seen this band or has anyone been to a concert that blew them away like this?"

I like Iced Earth, I agree with it being easy to get burnt out on them though. I got the majority of their albums all at once at a flea market and played to the point that I felt like I never needed to listen to them again. Put em away for awhile and listen to an album here and there and able to more throughly enjoy it.

I really enjoy the new song on the latest single, the Owens remakes of the other stuff is good but would have preferred to have another new song to see where they are going with the new stuff.

Still need to upgrade to the 2 disc versions of days of purgatory and glorious burden, along with burnt offerings (the only one i didnt find at that flea market damn it!). Maybe find that 3 disc version of Athens as well.

Fucking loved Iced Earth back in the day...now i still enjoy them and really liked Framing Armageddon and will buy when released...Ripper isn't half bad....

Fav albums would be Dark Saga/Burnt Offerings/NOTSR

if there is one thing in a band tht bugs me, i cant listen to them or ill cringe. in this band its the singer. for some reason i cannot stand his vocal style. its not thts its bad, but i just cannot get into it.

Love Iced Earth.

Glorious Burden seems to have caught a ton of guff from reviewers in the past, but I think it's just as killer as their old shit.

Something Wicked is probably my favorite.

I like Iced earth alot but have not been impressed with the last few releases, I like Tim Owens on vocals which I did not think I would but the vocal range and change ups work nicely. I just did not get into any of the concept albums, they sounded like great ideas but but to me they get boring somewhere in the middle and I lose interest. They have some good songs but overall I have not been listening to anything after Something Wicked, Excited about the new release and hope it does follow the "concept" to closely.

I like them, but they can be a little boring. Jon Schaffer takes himself way, way too seriously, and his lyrics really aren't all that great. I really hope the new album is good.

...the bonus disk on The glorious burden was like the best thing they ever did.

Agreed. Though, going back to the lyrics, I thought he did a great job with that one... until I realized that half the lyrics are lines from the movie Gettysburg.