ROCKLAHOMA in the words of DAVID PRATER -Producer /Dream Theater / Firehouse ...

MEGALOUD

The Nightmare Has Begun..
In the words of David Prater, taken from his diary from MelodicRock.com

here is a VERY detailed accounts of this multi platinum producer (Firehouse, Dream Theater, movie soundtrack for Dirty Dancing, and former drummer of the band SANTANA.) ALL are as I remember them for the most part, except his words about me personally, I can neither confirm or deny them lol. PS, I saw the phone image the weather lady had, it was FREAKY.

---------------------------------------------------------

I, David Prater, do solemnly testify that the following accounts are accurate so help me God!

As you read the following narrative, please bear in mind that during the weather event described below I was elevated 20 feet in the air within the main stage mixing tower getting ready to mix Lita Fords’ first proper show after a 15 year sabbatical. As a result, myself and three other technicians witnessed the following episode firsthand.

On Saturday, June 12, 2008, at approximately 6:00 p.m. CST, during the final moments of a performance of Guns N’ Roses “Paradise City” by Trixter, a storm cell accompanied by heavy rain ripped through the main staging area of Rocklahoma producing a “wet microburst” with “straight-line winds” in excess of 70 mph. The highest recorded wind speed of such an atmospheric phenomenon is well over 150 mph. A storm of this type is often times mistaken for a tornado and can in fact be equally if not more destructive. Within the mixing tower itself, the wind was so strong that I personally saw it very nearly rip the sheet metal from the rivets holding it onto the steel reinforcement columns. Although it seemed much longer, this dramatic event lasted for only 15-20 minutes. Nevertheless, as a result, it caused the complete collapse and utter destruction of the North and South “side” stages. It’s worth noting that both stages’ construction was rated as capable of withstanding sustained winds up to 75 mph.

Miraculously, there were no fatalities nor serious injuries reported.

Musicians should be aware that Rocklahoma had graciously filled these stages to overflowing with high-end guitar and bass amplifiers (Crank, Dual Rectifier, Marshall JCM 900, Ampeg SVT, etc.) as well as premium quality drums (Drum Workshop, Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, etc.) and various musical instruments. The bulk of this “back-line” had been provided as an alternative to groups having to lug into the festival grounds massive truck loads of equipment far too impractical to use. Virtually all the performers were delighted that such quality gear had been provided. They could then use their own guitars, effects pedals, cymbals, foot pedals, etc. to supplement their performances.

Well…most all of it was ruined. As with all the stage lightning, sound reinforcement and other various technologies, the back-line gear stayed uncovered in the rain for more than 24 hours during which time it was almost always raining. Yellow law enforcement tape designated the area as strictly off limits. The sight of that much ruined gear literally made me sick to my stomach. It’s an ominous sight to see “flown” P.A. enclosures lying in the mud with the trusses that held all the stage lighting resting on top of them. The heavy duty aluminum used in their construction was bent like salt water taffy. The wind force that did this must have been biblical in nature.

Not taking into account additional claims from other vendors and festival concessionaires, conservative estimates by professionals familiar with filing claims for such “acts of God” valued the damage at over $2,000,000 per stage. The main stage, however, was almost completely undamaged due to the strength of the industrial-grade steel and sheet metal structure that completely housed it on all 5 sides when fully retracted.

During lunch the following afternoon, I sat with the team of Michael and Becky Orange from “Event Weather” (www.eventweather.net) and discussed all that had happened. They’re in the business of providing a multitude of onsite weather services for various outdoor functions. After having finished our meal, Becky turned to me and said, “Hey…you gotta check this out.” She pulled out her cell phone and showed me a jpeg of the storm cells’ topographic display as it passed over Rocklahoma. She shot the picture right off the weather screen the night before. As God as my witness…the image was in the shape of the holy cross. You can view the entire time-stamped high-resolution file at the address below. It wasn’t altered by Final Cut Pro nor Photoshop. Earlier today, I even went so far as to call Becky and verify the images’ integrity. She swears it is absolutely genuine.

The event owner then walked up, viewed the image and immediately downloaded it into his cell phone. As he began to walk the grounds and show it to associates, the news of the oddity quickly spread. From then on, for most of us working the show the festival took on a hallowed glow. In fact, looking back I dare say the entire event represents something spiritually significant for many of us in attendance that week.

I arrived at the festival on Tuesday afternoon, July 8th and would be there for the next 6 days. I was attending Rocklahoma as a business partner with Brad White, the events’ talent coordinator and booking agent. We are responsible for all affairs relating to “The Texas Hippie Coalition” (www.myspace.com/texashippiecoalition). Brad and I had produced their CD/DVD package and I was going to mix their 2 shows on Wednesday and Sunday. As it turned out, I was commissioned to mix an additional 6 acts on various stages over the duration I was there. The most notable of these was Lita Ford on Saturday Night. Her normal soundman was in Europe on assignment.

Following Jackyls’ “chainsaw” massacre on the main stage, I mixed a rowdy set for The Texas Hippie Coalition on the North Stage at 10:00 p.m. Wednesday July 9th. It seemed our show was an unqualified success and really buoyed my enthusiasm for mixing the rest of my clients throughout the week. Both the North and South stages featured Midas mixing consoles that sounded warm and smooth even at loud volumes.

Ratt followed our set on the main stage. It was nice to see Steve Pearcy in good form with the band sounding competent. I had produced an Arcade album for him in 1992 but this was the first time I had seen him since. There would be a several more acts I had similar experiences with as the week progressed.

It had rained earlier that day and in places the festival grounds started to become very muddy. The next day, Thursday July 10th, once again saw some annoying precipitation that added to the mud from the day before. By evening, especially in the reserved VIP RV camping area, the festival grounds had devolved into a quagmire of deep mud containing beer, various forms of alcohol, urine, vomit and God knows what else. The weird thing was that even without the presence of any livestock you smelled cowdung everywhere. It was explained to me that when the festival grounds become this wet and are stirred up this much by pedestrian and vehicular traffic, the underlying soil containing 200 hundred years of inert cowdung becomes rather pungent to say the least.

However, none of this had any effect on the crowd in attendance for the most completely over the top stage show I’ve ever seen.

EROCKTICA!!!

OMFG! Just go to their website…you’ll get the idea. They were QUINTUPLE X-RATED!!! Full nudity, Bondage, simulated male ejaculations, girl on girl sex, audience sexual participation, etc. All the while the performers were swizzling a huge bottle of Jim Beam and passing it back and forth through the crowd. Some of the songs were interesting too! The main stage performer, Pink Snow, was hysterically funny. At one point she got behind the drums and hit harder than the real drummer. She was actually very good!

One of the things I remember most about Rocklahoma was seeing her in the crowd for the 2nd THC show at the makeshift tent on Sunday night, the festivals’ closing evening. It seemed all the THC guys knew her and all her girls knew the THC guys. Go figure. Too much information.

Friday the 11th turned out to be hot, dry and windy. As a consequence, 70% of the previous days’ mud had dried significantly and the entire area as a whole was markedly easier to navigate both by foot and transport cart. I mixed 4 shows that day. The performers I mixed on the South Stage Friday were as follows;

· Minoli (from Italy)-12:30 p.m.

· Gods of Kansas-1:55 p.m.

· Lipstick Magazine-5:15 p.m.

· Krucible (featuring Lance King)-10:15 p.m.

All 4 acts acquitted themselves well, however, 2 in particular stood out. Lipstick Magazine and Krucible featuring Lance King.

When I was prepping the stage plot for Lipstick Magazine, I couldn’t helped but feel that they were an odd-looking assortment of people from completely different walks of life. For one, they didn’t look like Rocklahoma hellraisers in the least. Secondly, they had keyboards which were sort of faux pas for Rocklahoma in general. Thirdly, they played out of what appeared to be solid-state Marshall amps and just about all the band went wireless with their instruments and voices. It just looked strange…THAT IS UNTIL THEY STARTED PLAYING!

Holy Shit!

They had a female singer that sang great. The rhythm section had two lead guitarists, one of whom was bald, black and wore glasses. They switched on and off for solos AND as it turns out, the black dude was without a doubt one of the finest soloists at all of Rocklahoma! Who knew? You can’t judge a book by its cover, right? The bass and drums were really solid and the keyboardist played with some nice sounding Hammond Organ sounding patches. The songs were melodic, heartfelt, driving anthems with some immaculate 3-part harmonies (in tune I might add!). I laughed my ass off at my misperception and got them sounding awesome! When a band plays that good, mixing them is a breeze.

Then comes Lance King. I met him the day before and he seemed like a completely grounded, down to earth guy, however, I didn’t know he sang. He is a tall, dark and handsome fucker but rather unassuming. My friend introduced him to me as a small label owner and that was it. He asked me to mix some shows for him with his band, Krucible, being one of them. Later, when someone asked me who I was mixing, I said “Lance King…is he any good?” The guy looked at me like I had 3 nostrils and said…”Lance is probably the underground rock scenes’ greatest living singer!” “Hmmm…this I gotta see” I thought.

Well…yep…the guy was right. Lance was remarkable as was his band and the material. OMG, the songs were awesome!!! Heavy, progressive, melodic, anthem-like, etc. Why Krucible and he aren’t household names is beyond me. Geoff Tate has nothing on this guy. The funniest thing about their set list was that they were to end it with a cover of Dream Theaters’ “Pull Me Under”…another record I produced. So…I knew there was at least one song I might mix right. They played 5-6 songs and right before they were to play “Pull Me Under”…THE STAGE MANAGER PULLED THE PLUG!!! Their set ran too long. It seemed Extremes’ set ran slightly over and as a result everybodys’ set got cut about five minutes. Damn! I wanted to hear them cover DT! Hands down, Lance King was the finest metal voice I heard at Rocklahoma.

I was hoping the following day, Saturday the 12th, would be hot, dry and windy again like Friday. One more day of that would dry this place out completely. Instead I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of heavy rain hitting the skylight of the camper Rocklahoma provided for me. I thought…”Oh shit! You gotta be kidding me!” I was due at the South Stage at 2:00 p.m. to get the stage ready for a band called Order of Nine and I was hoping that at least the rain would stop before then.

It did. I missed an interview THC was doing for Rolling Stone at 2:30 but I had to supervise the stage plot for Order of Nine. They were scheduled to perform at 2:30 and it takes around 30 minutes to go through all the checklists during a changeover. Troubleshooting while the show is going on isn’t the best time to check mike cables for a short.

Order of Nine gave a strong performance and their show went off without a hitch. Finally I could relax for a while before I had to mix Lita Ford at 9:55. By now it was around 3:30 so I walked over to production headquarters to see if there was any change in plans, time slot, etc. for her show.

Then I ran into Brad White.

He was barely responsive due to an extreme lack of sleep but seemed nonetheless really perturbed about something. He was trying to get all the festival stage managers to acknowledge his prompt from his 2-way radio but they seemed aloof. This was the festivals’ 4th day and everyone was completely exhausted. Then he looked at me and said…”Event Weather told me they had been tipped off about a nasty looking group of cells coming our way. I gotta get the stage managers to double check all their shit because they’re saying this storm could bring high winds.”

I couldn’t believe it. The sky looked clear from what I could tell but I immediately made my way over to the elevated main stage mix tower to see if I could get a better look. Sure enough, Tom Sweeney, the main stage sound company’s mix supervisor was looking at his I-phone monitoring a streaming weather forecast. It looked like a solid orange blob. “FUCK!!!” Tom started gathering massive plastic tarps he had for such occurrences and began to unfurl them to get everything sorted if the worst hits us.

I looked out to the northeast and saw a low level front moving in. For a long while it looked like it would miss us. Then it got closer and closer, all the while looking seriously pissed off about something. I could see violent air-to-ground lightning bolts firing at a rapid clip. It was identical to the lightning in Steven Spielberg’s movie “War of the Worlds.” In between songs from the main stage I could softly hear what sounded like distant thunder getting louder and louder. The front was closing in.

Trixter was by now finishing their set on the main stage. Like other groups at Rocklahoma, I had produced them as well. Back in 1989 I recorded the 1st studio version of their later hit “One in a Million”. As fate would have it, they were obsessed with the production on Def Lepards’ “Hysteria” and wouldn’t settle for anyone less than Mutt Lange producing them. Needless to say, that never materialized.

Since most people are unfamiliar with Trixter’s music outside of their 1st record, like many bands at Rocklahoma they began playing some high energy covers in order to keep the crowd engaged.

Then it began to rain.

Most people don’t realize it, but, if performers use wireless technology with their instruments and microphones, they aren’t connected to anything that would complete a circuit and ground them. Therefore, they usually can continue without fear of electrocution. I saw the Rolling Stones play in a downpour at Shea Stadium in the late eighties and the band played better after it began to rain.

The crowd was really into Trixter’s set and the mix was quite good as I recall. However, when they started Guns N’ Roses “Paradise City”, a river began to pour from the sky. Undeterred, Trixter’s frontline taunted the weather and appeared determined to play through it. The crowd was emboldened by Trixter’s defiance and seemed determined to ride it out with the band.

That’s when all hell broke loose.

In a space of about 5 seconds, from seemingly nowhere a vicious wind from hell combined with the already heavy rain to create what felt to me like an instant hurricane. The conditions were worse than those I experienced in a typhoon while touring Japan with Sam & Dave. People began to scream and yell, all the while running for cover. Trixter’s instruments began to short out because the mikes and guitar pickups took in so much water they could no longer function. I could see the stage hands furiously trying to lower the lighting trusses on the main stage so they could then close the structures’ huge sheet metal door. It’s built like a massive military airplane hanger.

Then the storm got serious.

The wind doubled in velocity and seemed to start picking up speed. I was watching the rain against a black backdrop and could see the raindrops falling completely horizontal, almost to the point of raining upwards. The storms’ wind, however, wasn’t rotating. I thought, “How weird? This isn’t a tornado?”

By now the lightning was literally right on top of the mixing tower. The thunderclaps were so loud it scared me off my feet. I was blinded by the brightness of the lightning bolts so close and low to the ground. The storm clouds couldn’t have been more than a couple of hundred feet above us and I was in a metal tower with a shitload of electricity running through it.

This was the real meaning of “shock and awe”.

I wasn’t an official crew member for the sound and light company but that didn’t matter now. It was all hands on deck. We managed to get the digital sound and lighting consoles covered and then we each hunkered down, the whole while the storm getting progressively worse. By now the main stage seating area was completely empty and all the screams seemed far away.

I tried to look around the corner in the direction of the storm but it felt like I was getting sprayed with buckshot. It was actually painful. The sheet metal enclosing our tower was flapping like a goose that couldn’t fly. I could see the ground in between the spaces where it was pulling away from the rivets securing them.

Then, after what seemed a small eternity, the wind stopped as suddenly as it began. Now it was just a steady rain. And it was quiet. Eerily quite.

Right about then Tracey and a couple of stage hands from the North Stage ran into our tower. He said he literally started to become airborne when he tried to hold down the awning over the soundboard. That’s when he hauled ass to our tower. He was as white as a ghost.

There was an older fella’ with the lighting company who looked out the tower and said…”Holy shit! They lost the North Stage.” Then he turned south and said, “My God! They lost both of them!”

The whole thing didn’t last more than 15-20 minutes. But it was 15-20 minutes of abject terror. It scared the living shit out of me but I must say that it was exciting and really fun!

By now the 1st responders were out in force. They did a fantastic job of maintaining order. They marked off the stages like it was CSI Miami to prevent assholes from stealing equipment that may have survived. There were sirens going off everywhere and like most people at that time I had only one thought.

“Dear God I hope no one was injured.”

After 4-5 minutes I began to walk to the massive main dining tent. This thing is H…U…G…E…! With maybe 2-3 inches here and there, it was largely flooded but not a disaster. I must have looked like hell because everyone that saw me walk in looked at me incredulously. They must have sensed that I had been in the thick of it. I felt like I had been in a firefight with the Taliban.

I immediately went into survival mode and thought to myself…”If there’s any food to be eaten eat it now! That may be the last food you eat for a quite a while.” I grabbed a plate and filled it up. A few minutes later, sure enough, they started to take all the food away.

I went outside to the production offices but it was in full crisis mode. Everyone had a phone pressed to their ear with a walkie talkie squawking in the background. I went to my camper and changed clothes. Unbelievably, it was still there and the power was on. The air-conditioner had tripped a circuit but I reset it and it started right up.

Believe it or not Rocklahoma never lost power.

I sat down and called Lita’s husband, Jim Gillette, and asked him what he knew. He said Lita’s manager, Danny Stanton, had told them to pull over, grab a bite to eat and wait for further instructions. Then Jim said, “Lita is going to play this show even if she has to play in the parking lot. She’s on fire!” Then I thought to myself, “Oh shit! What does he mean by that?”

Lita, Jim and I spent an hour together the night before discussing all facets of her show for tonight and copying setlists. She’s an unbelievably sweet person. You just want to please her the minute you meet her. Kinda like I feel about my sisters. I was hell-bent to come through for her because this was her first “real” show in 15 years but she didn’t have a soundmixer who knew her music!!! The last one she used was on assignment in Europe and was unavailable. Still, she was sooooooooooo excited about the event, the fans, everything. I thought to myself, “Wow!!! This could really be good if I can get it right!”

We discussed all the songs with regard to who was going to solo first or second and how each song began. Three or four of them started with keyboards. Additionally, everybody in the band sang backup and they all had great voices. The vocal blend was very important to her. I had my work cut out for sure. Then I got the word.

Rocklahoma 2008 was still alive.

I called Danny and he said the show would go on but only on the main stage with the scheduled headliners. That meant;

§ Lynch Mob-8:15

§ KIX-9:30

§ Lita Ford-10:45

§ Warrant-12:30

In spite of everything that had occurred, we had only lost about an hour.

Apparently, everyone would cut their set by 1 or 2 songs to save as much time as possible. Every stagehand from the North and South stages was ordered to assist in changing stage sets between acts. They were hoping for about 20-30 minute changeovers.

I returned directly to the mix tower. The Lynch Mob was about to go on and I wanted to see if there were any changes in approach as to how Tom wanted the Pro-Tools digital mixing console to be set up. When I got there everything was already up and ready.

The Lynch Mob gave an excellent performance with their namesake giving a textbook lesson on how full a 3–piece rhythm section with 1 guitar could sound. George played beautifully.

I asked about who would play next and someone told me KIX had backed out or words to that effect. Lita Ford was to be next!

After The Lynch Mob finished their set I immediately began asking Tom to help set the board up for Lita. However, when I tried to get people onstage to give me a line check no one would cooperate. “FUCK!!!” I thought out loud. Time was running out. I called Jim Gillette and asked him how much time Lita had. He said, “I don’t know but she’ll be taking the stage at 10:45.” I looked at my watch and I thought is said 10:20. Because my watch was soaked and therefore difficult to read, I mistakenly read the time as an hour later than it actually was.

That was soon to cause a major FUBAR!!!

After about 10 minutes of trying to get things checked I heard the drum tech onstage triggering Simmons drum samples! “What!!”…no one told me anything about this and I had no idea how to route anything through the Pro-Tools live mixing matrix. Tom was busy so I decided to physically run to the stage and get some answers.

I was soon to be more humiliated and embarrassed than any time I can remember.

I introduced my self to all the band members. I hadn’t met any of Lita’s band yet so I thought this would be a good opportunity. By the time I got to the drum tech he informed me that the drummer needed 3 auxiliary channels for his drum triggers. “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!!!” I yelled. I then went up to the bass player and asked him why he was standing at the mike where Lita was supposed to be singing. He looked at me quizzically and said, “Lita? Lita who?” I said Lita Ford god damn it!

He shook his head and said, “Dude we’re KIX. I don’t know shit about Lita!”

I almost had a bowel movement right then. My stomach sank to the floor and I immediately made a mad dash to the tower to tell Tom I had fucked up and that KIX was next. It was totally my fault and I had to try and help.

Right when I got upstairs I started screaming. “This isn’t Lita! KIX is about to start!” By now the soundman for KIX had arrived and was trying to get the board situated. You could cut the tension with a knife. Tom started screaming and began kicking equipment cases in my direction. Right about then the announcer comes over the P.A. and says, “I know you’ve been waiting for a while, but now your time is here! Ladies and Gentlemen, get ready for KIX!”

I dashed down the stairs and ran through the crowd to the nearest exit to look for a rock to crawl under.

In my defense there was so much chaos going on it was hard to get any answers from anyone and that’s why I got completely turned around. As for Tom’s detesting me, the real fact of the matter is that have a radically different approach that works for me when I’m mixing live, however, for some production managers it appears like I haven’t a fucking clue what I’m doing. The following may help to explain why;

§ I conduct my sound checks through high-quality headphones so I can actually hear the fidelity of the sound in question and choose the EQ and compression that is correct for what I need.

§ I rarely boost EQ…I instead cut the frequencies I don’t want and boost the line signal coming in to compensate for the drop in perceived loudness.

§ I actually pan things discreet left and right if the P.A. is in stereo (this one was).

§ I rarely use reverb. Mixes are hard enough to get sounding clear without throwing some more uncertainty into the equation.

§ I set the digital delay either in triplets or quarter notes to the song’s time signature and ride its’ return fader if I need it.

§ I’m constantly moving faders up and down in order to highlight the lead vocal and solos. I’ll even drop instruments out of the mix to achieve my goal if it’s too loud on stage.

§ I like a snare drum the same volume as the kick drum and I like all the drums loud in general.

With this Pro-Tools board, I was completely at the mercy of Tom and now he absolutely hated me. I couldn’t blame him, however, I didn’t do this intentionally!!! Compounding the problem was that there were no knobs on the console where you would normally find them and if you needed anything you really had to ask him for help. The fact of the matter was I still had a show to mix and I couldn’t let petty animosities get in my way.

I waited backstage by the production offices and waited for the sound from the main stage to subside. I didn’t see KIX perform but heard later they were sensational.

After I got the all clear I scurried to the mix tower and gently made my presence known to Tom. I suggested to him, “Look, let’s do this your way. You make all the adjustments and I’ll ride the levels. Deal?” He seemed ok with that and I began counting the minutes before Lita was to come on.

Before I knew it, Lita was being announced and I still didn’t have a clue where everything was. This is the kind of nightmare that keeps me up at nights. The set started with “Larger Than Life” accompanied by a LOUD pyrotechnic explosion! It scared the living shit out of me. I had no warning.

Things were incredibly chaotic for the first song and I was sweating bullets. I pleaded with Tom to make a few changes to the snare drum EQ and various other instruments. I had trouble getting Lita’s vocals out front for the 1st song. I found out later that on a few songs she was apparently backing off from her microphone. That explained why I had to ride her vocal fader up and down like a rodeo bull.

Still, all in all the crowd seemed electric with energy at the sight of seeing Lita for the first time in 15 years. So far no one had told me I was fucking up the mix so I kept at it. The next song was “Hungry”. Gradually I got a handle on the mix and it was starting to sound pleasing and balanced. After “Hungry” she addressed the crowd and that gave me just enough time to gather my senses. I made a few more requests to Tom and the music started back up.

I had no idea that Lita plays as well as she does. I mean really well! A lot of the cool shit I thought her 2nd guitarist, Tom Cavanagh, was playing was in fact played by Lita. The band’s harmonies and unison gang vocals sounded spot on. I got the keys up for all the intros. The crowd was registering strong response now and that gave me a lot of confidence.

Lita’s show had a different aura about it than any of the other Rocklahoma headliners I had seen up until then. It wasn’t just me thinking that either. There seemed to be a casual interest from the crowd for many of the previous acts but for Lita everybody was on their feet and screaming after each song.

Everyone that played after the storm played during a steady rain. The crowd looked like a sea of umbrellas and people using hefty trashcan liners for improvised rain suits. At times it was pouring but thankfully there was no wind!

By the time Lita strapped on her double-necked 12-string guitar for the intro “Close My Eyes Forever”, she totally owned the crowd. When the quiet choruses for the song came up the crowd was singing the lyrics so loud she just stepped back from the mike and let them sing it a cappella. I was a magical moment.

The set ended with “Kiss Me Deadly”. By then band was pedal to the metal. Throughout the set there had been some pyrotechnics and special effects but at the end of this song they pulled out all the stops. From the lighting trusses a shower of sparks rained to the ground with overwhelming effect. Then the guitars came to the front of the stage and held a massive power chord. I said to myself, “Oh yeah? Suck on this motherfuckers”, and slowly raised the faders to maximum level on the board. They were now touching the chassis above them. The screaming and applause seemed to get louder.

When Lita signaled for the song’s end, there was a deafening roar. She had done it!!! No one prior to this moment had owned the Rocklahoma crowd like she did. And to think it took a 50 year-old broad with 2 kids who hasn’t performed in 15 years to do it.

Unbelievable.

I was relieved to the point of tears as I walked to the production offices to check in with Danny Stanton. He seemed genuinely pleased at the way the show had come off. I felt like the way a female figure skater at the Olympics must feel after they pull off an unimaginably difficult double triple axle as the camera closes in for a shot of her crying in her coaches arms after all 5 judges give her a perfect 10.00.

All odds seemed stacked against me but somehow by divine providence I stayed the course. The fact that I was working for one of the nicest people I’ve ever met didn’t hurt either. When I finally felt that all my questions with respect to my mix of Lita had been answered, I walked out into the crowd to watch the triumphant (?) return of Warrant.

All week the the production offices had been abuzz with anticipation as to which Jani Lane (Warrant’s lead singer) would be in attendance. The fallout from the Las Vegas debacle a week earlier hadn’t entirely subsided and all eyes were peeled for any sighting of the controversy’s antagonist. I decided to walk through the crowd to view the show from various angles and see how Jani was holding up.

Understandably, it seemed his voice was somewhat ragged from a lack of preparation. Some notes he went for didn’t happen while others were simply off-key. Still, under the bright-white light of scrutiny he did alright all things considered. Simply put, he could’ve done worse, he could’ve done better. However, he had painted himself into a corner as a result of his inexcusable behavior leading up to Rocklahoma and nothing short of an Academy Award performance would put the controversy behind him. By the time they launched in “Cherry Pie”, it seemed for a brief moment as if all was forgotten. Once more he had dodged a bullet aimed right square between his eyes.

I slogged my way through the mud and collapsed in my trailer. Rocklahoma 2008 had 1 more day to go and I had absolutely no idea what to expect. However, one thing was for sure. I wasn’t scheduled to mix anyone else and as far as I was concerned I was going to catch a shuttle to the airport to see if I could fly standby and get the 1st fucking flight out of here.

Somewhere around 2:00 p.m. I woke up in a fog and gradually made my way to the crew dining hall. Everything seemed peaceful enough as I walked through the production complex. I didn’t want to talk to anyone until I had some food in me.

I grabbed my plate and sat down by a man and woman a couple of seats away. As it turned out, that couple was the “Event Weather” team of Michael and Becky Orange. They were part of the on-site weather apparatus responsible for monitoring the conditions for all 5 days of Rocklahoma. After it sunk in who they were, I began to talk about my experiences the day before. I was as interested to hear their recollections as they were to hear mine. After a spirited conversation, we finished our meals and were preparing to go our separate ways. Just as I was pulling away from the table Becky said, “Oh…David, check out this image I took off the screen during the storm yesterday.” She showed me the picture on her I-Phone and I couldn’t believe my eyes! “Is this what I think it is?” I said. She then countered, “David, I swear to God I didn’t do anything to alter this in anyway. This is exactly what I saw yesterday and Michael was sitting right next to me.” He nodded his head in agreement and I looked again. As clear as day, the topographic image of the storm cells formed a multi-colored display that was clearly in the unmistakable shape of the Holy Cross!!! I was in suspended disbelief. I looked at her again then looked back at the screen. “Has anyone else seen this?” I asked. “Hmmm…just a few of us in the trailer.” she replied.

At that very instant, one of the owners of the festival walked up and the same situation occurred with Becky asking him if he had seen it. His response was the same as mine but he got out his cell phone and loaded the image into it. Then a few more people walked up to speak with him and before you knew it the buzz was well on it’s way.

I walked across the backstage lot towards my trailer to begin collecting my belongings for taking the shuttle to Tulsa International. Then somebody yelled, “Hey! Prater! You’re just the guy I’m looking for.” It was Brad. Then he offers a stunner…”Listen, the hippies (THC) are playing tonight at 10:45 on the new South Stage and you’re going to mix them.” Not comprehending what I’d just heard, I answered “WHAT!!!” He continued, “Yeah, after Warrant finished we all got together and pulled equipment from everywhere we could. We got 3 stages ready to go. Bands are already playing on em’. Listen, everybody that didn’t play on the side stages after the storm is gonna do their set plus all the scheduled bands are still on as well” I looked at my watch and it was past 3:00 in the afternoon. “You‘re shitting me!?!” I asked. Brad started laughing and said, “Swear to God Prater.” I said, “If I hadn’t seen you just now I might have missed this whole deal. I was about to fly stand-by back to Salado.”

I was ecstatic about the news because THC had to cut their set on Wednesday, the festivals’ opening night, due to a miscalculation involving the running time of their show. As a result the high point of their set, the anthem “Pissed Odd and Mad About It”, had to be left out. This never sat well with any of us. Now we had a chance to redeem ourselves and we were stoked.

In a sincere gesture of goodwill, the band had let the South Stage use their equipment throughout the entire day as a way to help simplify set changes for the 9 bands scheduled to perform. As a result everything went much smoother than it would have and all the bands seemed really appreciative.

Except for one.

That would soon become a highly regrettable lapse in judgment that very nearly resulted in grievous bodily injury for those responsible.

The Texas Hippie Coalition was to play directly after Tesla and before Queensryche, the final act of Rocklahoma 2008. I spent the next several hours that day strolling between the side stages, observing all the different bands and reflecting on what a unique experience the whole week had been. I had a lot of mixed feelings. How could I not have? All in all, for me it had been a hugely positive event.

Tesla gave what to me was the most impressive performance of all the main stage headliners. They sounded as if they had played together as a band 6 days a week for the last 18 years. The singer was phenomenal and the overall mix fantastic. Their harmonies sounded like they had been structured so that everyone was comfortable singing a part that was in their natural range. The guitars were thick and luscious without sounding muddy. And, for a change, all the musicians seemed to play with a sense of restraint that gave their music a very mature feel. The stage was gradually being set for what many were hoping would be the festivals climax. Queensryche was to close Rocklahoma 2008 with a full production of Operation Mindcrime.

I conducted the soundcheck for THC and felt that given an enthusiastic crowd, our set could be well indeed be a vulgar display of power.

Word had spread throughout the festival for the previous 5 days that THC was a band that needed to be watched. The crowd that was on hand as they began their set was bordering on rabid. There were all sorts of concertgoers in various stages of undress, some wearing next to nothing due to the heat and humidity from the blazing sun that heated the grounds at 100 degrees Fahrenheit for what seemed like an eternity.

By the end of the 1st song, Cocked and Loaded, the applause inside the South Stage tent was deafening. The Texas Hippie Coalition’s two guitar assault package played as if it was 1 massive guitar that weighed 90 pounds and took 2 people with 4 hands to play. Using a foot pedal processing scheme similar to the one Jimi Hendrix performed with ala Band of Gypsys circa 1970, each solo Randy Cooper played sounded like his Marshall JCM900 had been wired by someone on magic mushrooms.

In a strange role reversal, after each song I mixed I literally had to cover my ears immediately to avoid unbearable pain from people whistling, clapping, screaming and shouting so close to the mixing console. I have never had that happen in all my years of being in and around music. Usually, it’s the audience who covers their ears when a band plays. By the end of the last song it sounded like a crowd at a Las Vegas UFC title fight that ended in a knockout.

Due to time constraints, it was impossible for any of the artists at Rocklahoma to perform encores. It actually turned out to be a much nicer way to enjoy a festival than having to sit through some of the self-indulgent bullshit I’ve seen some bands drag an audience through. Especially when it’s a shit cover of “Your Mama Don’t Dance and Your Daddy Don’t Rock N’Roll”. Anybody listening?

So…now it was up to Queensryche to bring home the bacon and from what I could gather they certainly must have. After a week of the pressures and anxieties I had endured, I simply wasn’t up to the task of sitting through their set with paper and pencil. However, from what I heard and viewed on the 2 massive jumbotrons flanking the stage, Geoff Tate sounded and looked as impressive as you would come to expect from such a world class singer and musician. The Operation Mindcrime film archive running in tandem with the bands’ live performance gave the entire production a sinister punctuation. At the shows’ conclusion, a fireworks display mounted on top of the main stage rooftop was a fitting end to an event that at times seemed more like a war than a music festival.

It was now about 12:30 a.m. and there were still more than a few concertgoers willing to party like it was 1999. On the South Stage, coming on directly after Queensryche were the Bullet Boys.

I was somewhat familiar with them from their song “Smooth Up In Ya” and thought they were far more compelling than many of their late 80’scounterparts. Ted Templeman of Van Halen fame had done a marvelous job of producing them and in doing so created a monstrous drum sound as impressive as any of the day.

Like all of those performing before them on the south stage, the Bullet Boys were to use the equipment THC had provided. As the band prepared to take the stage, it was then that one of the most pathetic displays of arrogance perpetrated by a washed up wannabe 20 years past his prime was committed.

In an appalling act of stupidity, the bands’ lead vocalist/lead guitarist, Marq Torien, took it upon himself to announce to anyone within earshot of the stage that he was going to destroy the gear THC had provided because he didn’t approve of it for reasons he never made entirely clear. Apparently, he was none too happy about his band having to play a side stage when he thought the main stage was far more suitable. To make matters even worse, he did so in the presence of some of the THC band members and crew. After a brief attempt by cooler heads to redress the misunderstanding, Torien refused to tone down his rhetoric and actually began taunting the THC band members and crew. A heated exchange took place and it began to look as if a physical confrontation was inevitable.

In a situation where an artist finds them self at risk of being physically harmed, it is incumbent on their manager or legal representative to mitigate the situation by identifying themselves as such and seek a passive alternative. Under no uncertain terms is it ever advisable for a manager to pass them self off as an expert on law as a way of discouraging a violent confrontation.

Well…that’s exactly what happened with Toriens’ mindless pseudo executive. To make matters worse, this imbecile did so while begging for an audience with Brad White and Max Baker, the two primary individuals responsible for the Bullet Boy even being allowed to play Rocklahoma in the first place.

While this was unfolding, a crew member bravely took it upon himself to run the quarter of a mile back to the trailer backstage and alert the posse. When he word spread of the insurrection at the South Stage, all hell broke loose. In what may qualify in the Guiness World Book of Records as the most ridiculous use of a golf cart by a rock band, the entire band and entourage of THC bravely attempted to negotiate the impenetrable mud canals of Rocklahoma in hopes of thwarting an uprising by the Bullet Boys...or rather I should say Bullet Boy.

By the time this pack of wild dogs finally reached the South Stage the standoff was at fever pitch. Not only had the full assemblage of THC appeared from out of nowhere, stage hands from all over the festival grounds came to their aid in a show of strength. What started as a few of the Bullet Boys and THC soon became a teeming mass of THC sympathizers numbering well in excess of 50-60 strong.

All of them there to quell the threat of extreme violence from a 5’9”, 150 pound, 4th string “never-been” acting without any regard for the well-being of his bandmates and crew.

As it turned out, the band members minus Torien were totally embarrassed by his boneheaded antics. They didn’t want any part of his agenda and made their feelings as such known but by then it was way too late. It’s too bad because they were really nice guys as it turns out.

The Rocklahoma security detail and the county sheriff’s department were called in shortly thereafter and restored order before things got out of hand. After the band finished their set it was pointless to stick around so everyone packed onto the same silly golf cart and drove back to the trailer as if nothing happened.

That’s when things got really stupid.

As it turned out, the Bullet Boy was never extended the courtesy of his own trailer after the show because he didn’t play the main stage. The only reason THC were allowed to hang out in one was because

§ They had been there for 7 days

§ Are managed by Brad White

§ Performed all sorts of additional chores when asked to do so by the Rocklahoma staff.

§ They genuinely tried to make themselves useful.

To everyone’s dismay, 20 minutes after the Bullet Boy left the stage, he shows up in the trailer next to us acting like he owned the place. However, after 5-10 minutes, the festival security guards showed up and forcibly evicted the band from the festival grounds. A taxi had been called to transport them to wherever they were staying but there wasn’t room for them and their instruments.

In a final insult to this, they’ll be playing an additional festival in Houston called “Rock the Bayou” later in August. THC is also scheduled to appear.