My favorites of 2005, in no order:

NOKTURNAL MORTUM - Weltanschaaung
KAYO DOT - Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
BORIS/MERZBOW - Sun Baked Snow Cave
OM - Variations on a Theme
EARTH - Hex
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Feels
MOONSORROW - Verisakeet

I listened to it yesterday. It's pretty damn good, but I don't really think it's top 10 quality. It's sitting there near Sigh, Opeth, Arcturus and Bruce Dickinson: good stuff, but not really nut-busting.

szorzerslagen's 2005 offering pretty much ruled
nile was pretty good too eh

1. Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
Alright, so it’s not the most metal of choices to top a metal list. But it’s still my favorite album of the year. Who needs a vocalist? Unless it’s like, Klaus Meine or something. That guy rocks like a hurricane.

2. YOB - The Unreal Never Lived
Another year, another amazing bongload of doom from Oregon’s finest.

3. Crowpath - Son of Sulphur
Unrelenting, technical, and absolutely insane. Crowpath has made my list two years in a row.

4. Meshuggah - Catch 33
This fucker rages like Godzilla with CP

5. Confessor - Unraveled
The rise of Confessor is just good news for metal. Unraveled is as good a comeback album as you’ll hear.

6. Minsk - Out of a Center Which is Neither Dead Nor Alive
Lots of bands are doing the Neurosis influenced thing, but these guys have something special.

7. Witchcraft - Firewood
What year is it where YOU live?

8. High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings
Pike and Co. have refined their sound a bit, but they're as deadly as ever.

9. Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
I'm a fairly casual Nevermore fan, but this new album is as good as anything they've done, and really grabbed me.

10. Abandon - In Reality We Suffer
Excellent effort from a band that sounds like the Anti-Isis of the Isis/Neurosis movement.

Other albums I really dug:
Primordial, Biomechanical, Frantic Bleep, Jesu, Mouth of the Architect, Exodus, Overmars, Arsis, Clutch, Belphegor, The Axis of Perdition, Grand Magus, OM, Ramesses, and Deathspell Omega. A few odds and ends worth mentioning: Best self released album: Fall of the Idols - Agonies Be Thy Children Biggest surprise: Judas Priest - Angel of Retribution. It’s not a great album, but despite some rough spots it’s damn solid, and their second best album in 20 years. Biggest disappointment: tie--The Anthrax reunion (this is the only context in which you'll hear me claim to be pro-Bush)/Opeth - Ghost Reveries. I gave this album the same score as the Priest album. The difference is that compared to their other stuff GR is a letdown, while Angel of Retribution trounced Priest's recent work. Genre with the best win/loss record: whatever we’re calling the whole Neurosis/Isis influenced sound. There were a ton of these albums this year, and nearly all ranged from decent to great. Some of the more notable releases: Minsk, Abandon, Jesu, Mouth of the Architect, Vancouver, Figure of Merit, Rosetta, Red Sparowes, and Overmars.

lizard said:
that Mouth of the Architect is pretty good...some beautiful passages and then they crush your skull in. Live, they were sonically overpowering.

Rosetta are quite similar but take the stuff to higher levels of intensity due to them having more of these constipated/agonizing vocals. Anyone heard Swarm of the Locust?

Swarm of the Lotus? Only just briefly. Sounded really promising though, and I've heard lots of good words.
I just got the Rosetta album. It's too early too really say, but I don't like it quite as much as I'd hoped. It's not bad at all, it just hasn't grabbed me after the first couple listens.

Dick Sirloin said:
I listened to it yesterday. It's pretty damn good, but I don't really think it's top 10 quality. It's sitting there near Sigh, Opeth, Arcturus and Bruce Dickinson: good stuff, but not really nut-busting.

I agree with you about the others being either disappointments or nowhere near their best work (Opeth & Bruce, though definitely solid), but it is certainly top ten...make that album of the year...quality.

well i dug out "the pale haunt departure" last night and gave it a spin, and it was indeed better than i remember. still not quite album of the year imo, but i need to give it more time. zod, you have succeeded in reopening my interest :headbang:

cthulufhtagn said:
well i dug out "the pale haunt departure" last night and gave it a spin, and it was indeed better than i remember. still not quite album of the year imo, but i need to give it more time. zod, you have succeeded in reopening my interest :headbang:

:kickass:

Erik said:
really bad idea

Well the alternative was to do this band recommendation thing, which seems to be working out great.

Back to talking about music in specific threads, and the rest of the forum for boobies!

cthulufhtagn said:
well i dug out "the pale haunt departure" last night and gave it a spin, and it was indeed better than i remember. still not quite album of the year imo, but i need to give it more time. zod, you have succeeded in reopening my interest.
Cool. I have found that with that disc, there are certain songs that grab you quick, and others that are growers.

Zod

Eminor said:
Zod if it's been awhile since you've heard Down they might be worth checking out again, especially with your new found interest in COC. NOLA is such a great friggin album. Mp3 help is available, if you want it. As for Beaten Back to Pure, you should check out The Burning South. It's their latest, and the strongest of what I've heard.
Thanks for the recommendations. Checking these out now.
Eminor said:
5. Confessor - Unraveled
The rise of Confessor is just good news for metal. Unraveled is as good a comeback album as you’ll hear.
May I trouble you for a brief description? Thanks.

Zod