My Top 25 CDs of 2005

J. said:
it's pretty good, but something just doesn't sit right with me. it's not as "metal" as Spirit or Journey.
Interesting. I would consider it "more Metal" than "Spirit".

J. said:
two disappointments and far from either bands' best
I plan to investigate Grand Magus' back catalog.

J. said:
people actually listen to these bands? i thought that was a myth
LOL. Given that Disturbed's latest debuted at #1 on the Billboard charts, I'm guessing so.

Zod

General Zod said:
Has anyone ever reviewed one of their CDs and not compared them to Opeth? I can understand why they don't want that tag, but when you speak of their music, it's hard not to use Opeth as a jumping off point. And yes, it does shit all over it.

Yeah, and you have to feel bad for them considering they've been around since the early 90's. Eucharist beat Opeth to the proggy-death sound too, but you know, Opeth hit the map and left the rest for dust.

Have you had a chance to listen to "The Knowing" yet?

Live, he's too feeble for Power Metal. He should be in a Prog band.

Or a pop band like A-Ha.

I'm no prog expert but I'll take Ark with Lande over Conception with Khan any day of the week.

No. There are definite Hradcore elements to their sound. And as well all know, having the slightest Hardcore element in your music makes you totally not Metal. You can have a fucking violin, a harp, or a full choir and be Metal as fuck. But if you dare incorporate anything from the Hardcore scene into your sound (unless of course your Anthrax) than your Mallcore and you suck.

People who are ok with metalcore are lucky fuckers because they can pretty much buy blind and guarantee themselves a golden nugget, there's just so much of it about.

Anthrax escape the mallcore label because they have Joey Belladonna. He's a heavy metal singer. It's pretty much down to the vocals at the end of the day.

Suicidal Tendencies rule too.

Damn!

LOL.

Yep.

Zod

Totally.

suicidaltendencies_lightscamerarevolution.jpg

That album rules.

Yeah, Jason, I agree, I've asked Deron to disable the star rating thread bullshit. It's funny because from what I remember of it, Australia isn't a boring country whatsoever. Most people go outdoors once in a while.

JayKeeley said:
Have you had a chance to listen to "The Knowing" yet?
Yes. I'm on the fence about it.

JayKeeley said:
Or a pop band like A-Ha.
LOL.

JayKeeley said:
I'm no prog expert but I'll take Ark with Lande over Conception with Khan any day of the week.
It's funny. There was about 12 months where I thought Ark was the shit, and played those two CDs non-stop. I think I burnt out on them, because I haven't listened to either in the longest time and have little desire to do so.

JayKeeley said:
People who are ok with metalcore are lucky fuckers because they can pretty much buy blind and guarantee themselves a golden nugget, there's just so much of it about.
Maybe. So far, I've only found three CDs, within the whole genre, that I enjoy; KSE's "Alive or Just Breathing", Lamb of God's "Ashes of the Wake" and Trivium's "Ascendancy". The last two, I don't think should be classified as Mallcore. Trivium is Metal, and anyone who doesn't think LoG is Metal, either doesn't know what Metal is or needs their hearing checked.

JayKeeley said:
Anthrax escape the mallcore label because they have Joey Belladonna. He's a heavy metal singer. It's pretty much down to the vocals at the end of the day.
Well, than Trvium's next CD will be Metal, as they're losing the harsh vocals.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Plus, it's a shame that Zod & co can make an exhaustive thread like this just for it to go unnoticed. :erk: Threads like this should be the norm IMO in the main forum.

http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222017

I agree. This thread is a success compared to mine, though - six replies so far, two of which are mine.

As for Zod's list:

I gave "Vermin" several spins and thought it was OK at first, but grew tired of it pretty quickly. Too many uninspired riffs and songs that don't go anywhere.

"Verisäkeet" is a fine record, good to see that you mentioned it.

JayKeeley said:
Yeah, Jason, I agree, I've asked Deron to disable the star rating thread bullshit. It's funny because from what I remember of it, Australia isn't a boring country whatsoever. Most people go outdoors once in a while.
lmao and I didn't even rate this thread.

General Zod said:
Corrosion of Conformity “In the Arms of God” (Stoner/Hard Rock) – 2005 was the year I discovered CoC. Awesome, well played, edgy Hard Rock, with a Stoner/Southern tinge. Excellent vocals and a very cool vibe throughout.
totally forgot about this one after like 3 spins, and i've been a huge COC fan for years, and have been on a 2 year stoner trip that keeps on keepin' on. in other words, i hope you picked up their other, good albums by now. :)

once I was NAD said:
totally forgot about this one after like 3 spins, and i've been a huge COC fan for years, and have been on a 2 year stoner trip that keeps on keepin' on. in other words, i hope you picked up their other, good albums by now. :)
I went back and picked up "Wiseblood" and "Deliverance". I already owned "Blind" (I bought when I heard "Dance of the Dead"). I'll probably pick up "America's Volume Dealer" after giving it a quick spin. Just curious, which is your favorite?

Also, anything, in the vein of CoC, that you would recommend? Thanks.

Zod

MadeInNewJersey said:
Yeah? These all solid '05 black metal releases?

Definitely!

The ANGST is totally ugly sounding. Some interesting riffs with some good production. It's not 100% fast all the time and lets some room for atmosphere.

KRIEGSMASCHINE is intense. Another "good" production CD. From begining to end, it kills. Here is a sample: http://kriegsmaschine.pl/ksm4.mp3

KRUK is a CD containg the first two albums (which were very hard to find.) Hailing from Belarus you get the block sound and style as with most bands from Russia, Estonia, Latvia and Belarus.

If you get a chance, check these releases out.

Cool, thanks for the D/L (everyone here uses yousendit, btw); you can rip tracks to MP3 and upload for 7 days or a certain # of downloads.

Also, "If you get a chance, check these releases out" = :lol:

Translation: next time you're in the store, buy them. Ok!

regimental said:
No, not at all. That's not what I meant. I just meant support these releases, becuase they are really incredible CDs.

We are Sold Out of ANGST anyway.

Don't take me the wrong way; I'm a puppet when it comes to buying albums. Tell me it's good, I'll buy it. :tickled:

(I just checked and you are indeed sold out, lol)