mass extinction theory.

my theory is that extinction of a species happens every time two totally unparallel worlds collide as so:

748.jpg

the above incident killed a particular type of volatile bee from mexico.

This is a direct result of the "I don't give a fuck about the environment; it won't be my problem in the future" mentality. Anyone who thinks this should die tonight because they don't deserve to live to tomorrow.

I believe in preserving the envirronnement as much as possible but I also think that it is a bit pretentious of us to think that we are the only cause of a specie disappearing, the earth getting warmer etc. This old earth has been through somethings that were a lot worse than our 5 million year stay. After meteor showers, acid atmosphere, 2 glaciation and we think we make that much of a difference... I don't think so.

huh, i agree in principle that we're not ALWAYS the SOLE cause, but humans really have achieved an unprecedented level of power and ability to positively or negatively affect species and the world. i mean, with the 100-megaton nukes we have now, we could theoretically crack the earth's crust and pretty much turn the planet into a moonscape.

so maybe we're not more powerful than an iridium-heavy asteroid. but we're probably AS powerful.

xfer said:
so maybe we're not more powerful than an iridium-heavy asteroid. but we're probably AS powerful.
We can but do we actually do it?

I am talking about, for example, that the earth is getting warmer. We have been told for years that the sole cause of that was polluting gases since the industrial revolution. In recent years scientist finally did their homework and began telling us that we might have contributed to the acceleration of the process but it was already happenning wether or not fossil fuels existed or not. I am telling you that even though we have a contributing factor in the disapearance of species, there were species disappearing everyday 6 million years ago and there will probably be 1 million years from now (if we don't fuck up too much and stop reproducing at the rate that we do). I am just saying that the earth is one tough mofo and that it is presumptuous of us to think that we rule everthing that happens on it. As the different meteorological catastrophies (twisters, typhoons, hurricanes), volcanos and the like can attest, the earth can chew us up and spit us out like the vermin that we are.

I am saying that we should make every efforts to preserve what we have but not think that we rule its surface. We are guests here, let's just try to be good guests.

I peed outside a few times. As far as I remember, it melted the snow...