Massive AOR gig for us next summer

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
A huge, huge gig has been anounced for next summer in London. Journey with support from Foreigner and Styx. Never seen Journey, never seen Foreigner and of course never been nowhere near a Styx show. If I'm alive I'll be there. Hopefully the bands will be alive too! Both the recent Journey and Foreigner albums were awesome and I hear that Styx is touring heavy but no album is planned as far as I know. The only thing that will be a slight disappointment will be the lack of Lou Gramm in Foreigner. Although to be fair Kelly Hansen is awesome in Foreigner and much better than Lou now whose voice is shot more or less judging by his solo album from 2009. But seeing Foreigner without Lou just won't be the same. Of course some would say Journey without Perry is also false but those people would be wrong cause Arnel is just plain awesome. Journey's new album might possibly be out by then hopefully. Anyway this is going to be a once in a lifetime AOR lover's dream and a night never to be forgotten.

Kelly Hansen is awesome in Foreigner. He's a great frontman and he really does the old songs justice (both in voice and innuendo :lol:). Likewise, Gowan does pretty well in lieu of DeYoung for Styx. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Journey but I've heard good things. Should be an awesome show.

Gowan's vocals were a dead-ringer for DeYoung when I saw them about a year ago. The only down-side was that they only played a couple of the biggest DeYoung hits and focused the rest of the set on Tommy Shaw songs. There were quite a few songs I wished they had played in lieu of a few of the lesser-known Tommy Shaw songs.

I saw Foreigner and Styx last summer with Kansas. I went with my dad who has seen Styx more then any other band and he said it was his favorite performance

Lineups like this happen in the States every summer actually.
I remember a couple years back some friends going to Journey, Heart, and Cheap Trick.

The one classic rock band I really hope to finally see some day is BOC.
They play so many of those summer fest type things.
They never seem to play a regular club gig.
I am sure those summer fest things are a bigger paycheck, so I can understand the logic.

I am sure those summer fest things are a bigger paycheck, so I can understand the logic.

As you like to say, WORD! Been wanting to see them for years, but for one reason or another it hasn't worked out. I do agree it would be nicer to see them in an actual venue though.

Never saw Journey in concert other than the TV Special from Manilla. Was a good show. Their one of those band that's you loved but didn't want to tell your friends about.

Saw BOC back at Toledo Speedway and was incredibly disappointed though I suspect it wasn't totally thier fault. The sound was so loud that the music was distorted and you literally couldn't tell one song from another (and that's coming from a huge BOC fan who know's all the live material). I would love to see them again because in this day and age they would likely be loud and clear!

Well, that plus all of their gigs these days are fly-in, fly-out gigs. They don't tour, they just play festivals and special events and the occasional string of dates in the same or nearby cities. So, their booking fee is quite high. Believe me, I know. :)

I think the last time I saw them was at a place called "the Fred" amphitheater in Peachtree City, GA, a two-night gig with Molly Hatchet (I believe) as a co-headliner. It's been a while since they've played in Atlanta, and since they play weird venues sometimes (chili cookoffs, balloon festivals, biker festivals) it would be easy for a show to slip through my radar. :erk:

I missed BOC twice in a row a few years ago, I think they played Aurora's Downtown Alive and West Chicago's Railroad Days. lol. Neither date worked out for me. The following summer I caught them at Naperville's Rib Fest. I watched them on the small stage while my wife saw Heart on the main stage. Wish I could have seen both, but BOC was indeed awesome.

Gowan's vocals were a dead-ringer for DeYoung when I saw them about a year ago. The only down-side was that they only played a couple of the biggest DeYoung hits and focused the rest of the set on Tommy Shaw songs. There were quite a few songs I wished they had played in lieu of a few of the lesser-known Tommy Shaw songs.

I saw them this year, too and there was a bulk of 'hits' played-- mind you, Tommy Shaw (and even JY Young) wrote a fair chunk on their own (or with collaboration outside of DeYoung)-- Fooling Yourself, Miss America, Too Much Time on My Hands, Crystal Ball, Renegade, Blue Collar Man.

Set from earlier this year:
1) Medley: Borrowed Time/Mr. Roboto/Rockin' the Paradise/Superstars/Half Penny-Two Penny/Borrowed Time
2) The Grand Illusion
3) Too Much Time on My Hands
4) Lady
5) Lorelei
6) Snowblind
7) I Am the Walrus (Beatles)
8 ) High Enough (Damn Yankees)
9) Crystal Ball
10) Suite Madame Blue
11) Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
12) Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
13) Miss America
14) Come Sail Away

Encore:
15) Renegade

I was just thinking if you started the gig at 4pm, added Reo Speedwagon and Boston to that bill, you'd have the ultimate classic AOR gig of all time! Mind you without Brad Delp it's hardly the same. Still imagine that 5 of the best bands ever. If you never went to another gig ever at least you saw this one!

Saw Styx this summer in this hick town that I live in (where country music is the #1 listened to genre). They put on a great show. Also saw Cheap Trick earlier in the year. Also a great show. Hope we get another classic rock band or two on tour next year.