New Journey Album

you, my good friend, are on CRACK!

Arnel's vocals on Revelation top anything Augeri did, and i love him too, but Arnel is in a league of his own. i am so ready to hear him let loose on this new album. he was getting his feet wet on the last one.

Jeff Scott Soto doesn't fit their sound at all, so why try?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0wW5t7ETnA

Er....I guess you didn't see Soto on tour with Journey?

Dude look at the string of posts between you and Justin Gaines. How does it NOT look like a classic /b/-tard trollfest?

> OP posts about Journey being darker and heavier

> you post "yeh just how I like my metal!!!" -- completely randomly and not having an iota whatsoever to do with the topic

> JG responds

> you get super defensive about how you weren't even referring to journey

> ppl ask what the point of your posts were then

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude look at the string of posts between you and Justin Gaines. How does it NOT look like a classic /b/-tard trollfest?

> OP posts about Journey being darker and heavier

> you post "yeh just how I like my metal!!!" -- completely randomly and not having an iota whatsoever to do with the topic

> JG responds

> you get super defensive about how you weren't even referring to journey

> ppl ask what the point of your posts were then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3SXBirhH7s
Super defensive? Seriously. I'm thrilled JOURNEY says the new album is darker and heavier. Their meaning of darker and heavier of course. Trolling is something I don't do. I said something positive in the first place. How is saying something positive trolling? Also, I did not have all kinds of exclamation points everywhere like you have. I believe you're the one trolling by trying to incite me with things I didn't say or emotion I didn't use. I'm done posting about this now. I did not intend to offend anyone.

no, i didn't i was on tour i believe. i do have a live CD from Reno with him on it. while it's not bad, it's not as good as when i saw them with Arnel here in Greensboro.

That's cool....I'm huge Soto fan, and while he's definitely not a Perry clone, I felt he nailed the classics nicely and would have brought a new/different edge to Journey, while still being firmly entrenched in melodic rock. I really dug "Soul Sircus", and I was excited to hear what the new Journey material would sound like with his added touch.....oh well.

That's cool....I'm huge Soto fan, and while he's definitely not a Perry clone, I felt he nailed the classics nicely and would have brought a new/different edge to Journey, while still being firmly entrenched in melodic rock. I really dug "Soul Sircus", and I was excited to hear what the new Journey material would sound like with his added touch.....oh well.

I'm a JSS fan as well (try tracking down THAT guy's entire discography), but was very disappointed by Soul SirkUS. That album just didn't have any feeling to me. Journey made the right call getting Arnel, and Revelation was a terrific album. I hope it's just the beginning.

I'm a JSS fan as well (try tracking down THAT guy's entire discography), but was very disappointed by Soul SirkUS. That album just didn't have any feeling to me. Journey made the right call getting Arnel, and Revelation was a terrific album. I hope it's just the beginning.

It's all a matter of preference....nothing against Arnel, he's a good singer, but I would've prefered JSS.
As far as JSS' discography, it is pretty extensive....I think I've got most of it though, including Kuni, Panther, Eyes and Skraap Mettle. I'd love to get my hands on some of his Boogie Nights stuff too.

from www.melodicrock.com :

"Journey have just completed their first live show for 2011 and first since ending their Revelation tour. The Las Vegas date is a warm up for the coming South American tour and the first date of two years of planned touring. The US summer leg will include Foreigner and Night Ranger as support.

The band previewed no less than 5 new Eclipse tunes in tonight's set. The complete set list was: Separate Ways, Edge of the Moment (new Eclipse track), Only the Young, Ask the Lonely, Never Walk Away, Send Her My Love, Resonate (new Eclipse track), Stone in Love, Keep on Running (Deen vocal), City of Hope (new Eclipse track), Lights, Open Arms, Chain of Love (new Eclipse track), Mother Father (Deen vocal), Escape, Guitar jam, Wheel in the Sky, Human Feel (Rise Up) (Eclipse track), Be Good to Yourself, Faithfully, Don't Stop Believin', Encore: Anyway You Want It, Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'.

Thanks to MR regular Rip, you can check out each new track via YouTube footage of tonight's show now:

As you can hear, this album is going to be a rocking affair and less commercial than possibly anything that has come before it. Guitar freaks are going to be all over this. I have been listening to the studio version of the lead album cut City Of Hope over and over again. This is an incredible track. It packs a punch from the opening riff, features duel guitars throughout and piano is used to fill the sound. There is a strong verse, a shifting bridge and an anthemic chorus in the vein of Faith In The Heartland and Never Walk Away. Deen Castronovo pounds away, but the song belongs to Neal Schon, who shreds from start to near finish. The last 90 seconds of the track is a double, then triple time drum/guitar shred-fest that turns the track heavier. Just tremendous stuff and glorious to hear in such a melodic setting!

Now, every band can come up with a classic song, but the intensity, power and guitar overdrive of this song, coupled with the usual anthemic flair of Journey's classic style leaves one with a very positive outlook towards the coming album. If the lead track can be filled with such power, then the rest of the album promises to be a real revelation (no pun intended!)."

It is tough for me to judge with live tracks, though the last song sounds good. Arnel is in top form and is a magical frontman, but without hearing a studio song..... it is just tough to say just how much I will like it. The last release was good, but not great. Arnel sounds great on that disc, but their songwriting was not up to par with Journey when they were in their prime. I did notice Dean with a guitar on the last track. Don't see that except when they play "Stoned in Love" so that is a good sign.

Bryant

finally the studio single City of Hope. It's a good song but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as the best songs on Revelation but it is a good song and Arnel sounds bloody good! Only Kevin Shirley's production is somewhat lacking in the rhythm guitar dept in my opinion. Schon's solo shreds but the song needs more beef and crunch in the riff. I hope the other songs have more melody in them as well.

If everything I'm reading about this is fairly accurate, the old heavier, darker Journey is back, and this is a great thing. Regardless, this seems like it's definitely worth checking out. FRONTIERS is still the high watermark for me as far as Journey is concerned and I thought TRIAL BY FIRE was quite good as well, regardless of being highly under-rated.

Clips of all songs off the new record available on the front splash page of www.melodicrock.com .

Eclipse is Journey's fifteenth studio album and shows the band at the peak of their creative juices, truly regenerated after the blistering success of their last studio album Revelation.

Journey will follow the release of Eclipse with the launch the "Eclipse Tour" which will kick off with a 7 date arena tour in the UK/Eire, together with Styx and Foreigner and will then hit Germany, Switzerland, Benelux, Scandinavia, France and - for the first time ever - Italy.

"I'm in love with this record, which I haven't said about one of our albums for a long time," says founding member and lead guitarist, Neal Schon. "It's a rock record and it sounds amazing." Commenting on the upcoming tour, Schon continued, "We've got a lot of hits to play and there's plenty of time to do some new stuff too, so we're gonna mix it up. We haven't toured with Foreigner for over 10 years, so we're really looking forward to this run."

In an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal, keyboardist Jonathan Cain recently described "Eclipse" as "a concept record with some spiritual themes to it…pretty tough, hard-hitting stuff." Jonathan continued, "We just felt like it was time to send a message to the world about how we feel about life in general."

Eclipse is released across Europe May 27 via Frontiers Records and May 24 throughout North America via WalMart.

Frontiers Records will release the album in the following configurations -
- 1CD - Ecolbook (first pressing only)
- 2LP Gatefold Sleeve
- Limited Edition BOX SET including CD in ecolbook version, 2LP Gatefold Sleeve; Poster; T-shirt (L size);
Lithography showing the album cover art with the band members signatures (printed).

Journey_Eclipse%20cover_1_cover_album.jpg

The album as a whole disappoints me no end. It is a good album don't get me wrong but it just doesn't make my spine tingle like many of the songs on Revelation did. The album is sonically pleasing and has a moodier and darker feel as we all expected but it just needs way more hooks. The songs build well but the choruses seem to be sadly underwhelming when they arrive. Arnel sounds amazing on this album though that I will say. Even better and more confident than he did on Revelation. He belongs in Journey now and is the best singer for Journey period if Perry can't do it. As many have noted this album is very guitar solo heavy, perhaps a little too much for me. In my opinion Journey songs should always be about the vocals and vocal hooks and not showing off how well you can play your instrument. Anyway I look forward to seeing them live with Foreigner and Styx next week. That's gonna be a hell of a show even if the new album ain't all that. I was so hoping that this album was gonna kick my ass but alas that's not going to happen.