MASSIVE High-Gain Amp Shoot-out!

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey guys,

I stumbled across this on another forum. It seems like an event organized by James Lugo and some others to bring an assortment of high-gain amps down to the studio and compare them all side by side.

It's a worthy look for anyone that considers themselves an engineer or guitarist IMO.

The video diary is here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGO5frt69Q&feature=related[/ame]

The actual audio clips are here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=965182&content=music

I don't know where this originated, but I get the feeling Gearslutz is involved.

Hope you enjoy!

Their Uberschall tone also sucks. Sounds like a JSX with the Depth and presence at 0. But i liked some of that stuff....Diezel Hebert, Bogner Alchemist, Orange Rocker...All of them sound very nice to me. And of course, the Dual Recto!

Cheers moony, interesting shoot out indeed. Probably one of the best i've ever witnessed. I can safely say i've had enough of the guy saying Dan McManes Gibson les paul sunburst WCR american steel! :lol: Who cares if it was Dan McManes? ffs lol

I thought the Marshalls and Soldanos sounded nicest.

Okay do this for me... Listen to the Bogner XTC lead tone and the Dual Rectifier rhythm tone.

That's it for me, almost perfectly covered for both things. I am always AMAZED at how THICK and juicy the goddamn XTC sounds under single note leads. By far the fattest amp ive ever recorded. And the Dual Rec... enough said... scooped in the perfect place, with plenty of core tone chunk left where it matters. The Randy and Nickelback approve, why the hell wouldn't I.

I agree. The 5150 tends to sound arse unless it's Claymaned or Killswitched up tonally. They didn't really capture that smooth compression character most of us love.

But man, listen to the Bogners.. that 'hwack!' sound that precedes every note or chord is gorgeous. Those amps treat pick attacks like no other.

may be i am a twat....but this is a High Gain amp shootout...and most of it just sounds undergained!!!!???

Hmm, still much more hard rock tones than metal sadly...cool idea, but no EMG's and very little palm muting = not much use to me I'm afraid.