Mastering Engineers

I could have swore there was a directory or thread of members here who are mastering engineers...

Maybe a sticky could be created... I'm looking for one. Thats all.

Dunno if any of them are members here, but these are what I'd be looking from Finland:

http://www.mikajussila.fi/
http://www.chartmakers.fi/
http://www.virtalahde.com/

First and second one for obvious reasons, third is less known but has written on website about satisfaction quarantined so the changes are done until there's happiness.

+1 to that. My friends sent a single to finvox and to sterling sound and finvox made it just so much better!

On the blog was mentioned he has Spanish flag on his walls too. :)

Btw, the chance for comparing is ideal for client but that must be a bit pricey to do with these tops, or perhaps no?

We mastered a couple of albums at Finnvox studios by Mika Jussila (Nightwish, Children Of Bodom, Sentenced...) in 2001 and 2003

Highly recommended if you have money or the label pay it!
http://www.mikajussila.fi/en/

That's great. I'll have a record going there likely some time next year. The band are really set on it.

Anyway, I'll put my +1 in for Plec @ Panic Room Mastering. We've worked on a number of records together and he always brings the goods, and is also really affordable too, considering the quality of work.

We mastered a couple of albums at Finnvox studios by Mika Jussila (Nightwish, Children Of Bodom, Sentenced...) in 2001 and 2003

Highly recommended if you have money or the label pay it!
http://www.mikajussila.fi/en/

+infinity. If you got the money, you won't be disappointed. Also: http://www.finnvox.fi/

you forgot that everyone on this forum is a "mastering engineer".....

Hahah, the whole "mastering engineer" thing has gone so far, I actually have to stress it to my clients that while I can and will master the record for them, I am by no means a mastering engineer and recommend them to do it somewhere else for the best possible results :D Financial suicide, but in some perverted way I want the best for my clients.

yes Jarkko... what Lasse said.

because if you recognize that you aren't doing the best possible master, and are thus acknowledging it could be better if they went to an appropriate, dedicated mastering house, then you have to recognize there's absolutely NO "financial suicide" in not just collecting the mastering fee from the client yourself, and doing a job that would be not as good. no, quite the opposite in fact... having your work mastered by a person who's better at mastering than you makes your work sound better than it otherwise could... so, it's the smart thing to do, and will absolutely result in MORE success for you, not less.

no one in the professional world thinks like this: "oh i must squeeze every penny from the client by doing the mastering myself, even though i recognize someone else could do better". no, in fact THAT way of thinking is what i would call "perverted"... and can very easily amount to "financial suicide", as you put it, when that course is taken.

so you are neither doing some "weird, perverted" thing, nor committing "financial suicide" by outsourcing your mastering.... you're in fact doing the opposite of those things in every way.

I hope that holds true! ;)

what?? of COURSE it "holds true"... and it's the normal way it's done EVERY SINGLE DAY in this business....

that's not "weird", or something to worry about at ALL!

you are a service provider.... collect your fees man... that's all you need to do... you don't worry about not also getting the fees of the next service provider in the process, regardless of whether or not your can approximate their job!

yes Jarkko... what Lasse said.

because if you recognize that you aren't doing the best possible master, and are thus acknowledging it could be better if they went to an appropriate, dedicated mastering house, then you have to recognize there's absolutely NO "financial suicide" in not just collecting the mastering fee from the client yourself and doing a job that would be not a good. no, quite the opposite in fact... having your work mastered by a person who's better at mastering than you makes your work sound better than it otherwise could... so, it's the smart thing to do, and will absolutely result in MORE success for you, not less.

no one in the professional world thinks like this, "oh i must squeeze every penny from the client by dong the mastering myself, even though i recognize some someone else could do better". no, in fact THAT way of thinking is what i would call "perverted"... and can very easily amount to "financial suicide", as you put it, when that course is taken.

so you are neither doing some "weird, perverted" thing, nor committing "financial suicide" by outsourcing your mastering.... you're in fact doing the opposite of those things in every way.

Very true words, and I do acknowledge that. It's just that sometimes the bands seem to have a hard time understanding how a great ME could enhance the final product. Then again, most of the musicians I work with are very young and enthusiastic, who want everything to happen right now and with as little fuss as possible, but hopefully that will change as time goes by, too :)

what?? of COURSE it "holds true"... and it's the normal way it's done EVERY SINGLE DAY in this business....

that's not "weird", or something to worry about at ALL!

That's why there was that blue, round little guy winking at the end... :D

Is THAT all I need? :p

:lol:

No, actually you gotta push Oz, FG-X, Elephant, Finalizer and two instances of GClips ON exactly at the same time and say "sesam!" to D/A's.

Serrriously to every new guy attempting the area:

Even if you have what it takes you need HUUUGE balls, sometimes a giant clown size, to call yourself a "mastering engineer", but personally I think carrying a title "mixing engineer" still needs bigger ones. Everyone posting here should turn off the sigs right now for a one minute silence... ohh -
end of the castrating section.

Whenever its financially possible its good idea to compare though, even between tops and no-names.