Mastering/Loudness/Interface Settings

bradseven

New Metal Member
Oct 3, 2012
Hopefully this isn't a repeat thread and if so my bad. I'm sure there's plenty of threads here about mastering and loudness but there's on ething in particular I've never seen addressed anywhere really and hoping to get people's insights on this:

Although this isn't exaclty what this thread is about, like a a lot of people, I've kind of struggled to get the loudness of the records I'm compairing things to. I'll reference mix/master tests in my car and wherever. I'll switch back and forth in my car and the mix I compare it to is typically louder and blah blah but why the fuck is it that when I listen to these amazing sounding mixes of records in my studio monitors they sound so crushed and like ass pretty much. Not all mixes but a good percentage. I have to think its no wonder I'm not getting loudness results like theirs when That loudness sounds like ass in my monitors.

This isn't a "problem" I've ever found to be interface specific or studio monitor specific. I've been running a professional studio for years and know how to keep the line levels zeroed out and gains unaffected with high quality balanced cables and all that. I'm conscious of where my interface output is supposed to be set to get an ungained signal to the monitors. My monitors have settings for this as well as a "flat" acoustic space switch. But honestly even when I haven't had all those things this factor has always still kind of been there it seems.

Obviously albums are going to sound better on certain speakers than others and the odds are low that they used the same monitors I am but why do these amazing sounding albums from true pros sound so over compressed and smashed in the studio and why do I feel like my mastering levels are probably affected by whatever it is? Wondering if anyone else has at least had this this problem and possibly found the root of it. One would expect Damn near any album to sound better on studio monitors because that's what it was mixed/mastered on but why 9/10 times does it sound like ass on mine...but at the same time can make my panties wet in a stock impala stereo.? Seems like somethings clearly not right with my studio setup but can't seem to put my finger on it even throughout multiple setups.