Any secrets or tips about using ozone and gclip to achieve loudness

deftones769

Aug 19, 2011
Hey guys :) here's the thing I've mixed my song really well no frequencys colliding with each other and all that. I've clipped my drums properly, limited my guitars and kept plenty of headroom. Now onto getting loudness which is the most frustrating thing how do I achieve it. Cause I've been hearing a lot of people on this forum say they have got loudness with ozone and gclip. If so maybe you could send some settings or whatever or even just give me hints of how you achieve it. Without the mix sounding so squashed like my masters sound :( thanks appreciate it heaps

It's almost never a problem to get the level in the DAW. The thing is that even if it shows -7 dB RMS for example, if you don't have the right frequency balance it won't sound loud enough. So pay attention to the frequency balance of each instrument and the whole mix. For example, if your mix has too much lows, it may sounds more powerful, but you won't be able to get the proper loudness because the lows take too much headroom. Keep in mind the Fletcher and Munson's curve:
http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/images/Ear_07.jpg

The ear is most sensitive to the frequencies between 1k and 4k. So if your mix lacks some mids in comparison to the highs and lows, you can't expect it to be very loud.

+1, this ^. Your mix will require a 'potential' loudness, as mariomaster said the ear is sensitive to frequencies around 1 - 4KHz and having a focus on this frequencies will give your mix the illusion of loudness. If your mix is bottom end heavy, it won't have the potential / impression of 'loudness'.

Try understanding and refining your technique with a compressor, multiband compressor, clipper and limiter.

You should not have any trouble getting things 'loud' with ozone!

I wouldn't use Ozone's Maximizer. It fucked up my low end and my kick drum made a strange sound that took me a long time to find out it was that god forsaken maximizer. I use Waves L1 now and get much better results.