Mastering Of Scar Symmetrys New LP (Vid)

:worship:
alright here it goes: for ages i'm searching for a/b comparisons
between master and mix. could you provide
a short sample of the unmastered song heard in
the vid? lets say about 5 seconds?
plus, as the previous poster asked, did you
cut any transients or was the mix already evened out enough?
then - what would you say were the most audible units
and alterations made to the mix? do you use a widener of any sort?

First off... sorry, but I can not post any material featuring the actual album content. I'm barley allowed to post the video which only contains audio from the video-camera mic, and I will probably need to take it down for a while now since they have decided that they're going to do a video for the first track. They are afraid people will get sick of the song before the video is made public if this one stays on youtube any longer, so... :err:

Best way to check out mix/master difference is to ask a mastering studio if they can do a test-master for you. The differences sometimes can be very small, and sometimes very dramatic and it all varies greatly from project to project.

Jonas did a great job with the mix of course, so my mission was just to beef it all up. In a lot of cases with less experienced producers and engineers you need to adress mix problems, which in turn make lesser masters... so nothing of that kind here. He delivered a slightly compressed and limited mix, which is fine when you know what you're doing and when it's essential for the mix to "sit" right musically. It's much easier to master when you have something to work with that already sounds good, so sending something to mastering totally clean of any bus processing might not be what you want (although alot of people claim that the mix bus should be rid of anything when sent to mastering, which is total BS.. IMHO).

There is a combination of digital limiting and analog clipping (clipping converters which is mistaken for "digital clipping", but you're actually clipping an analogue stage before the conversion...). Gear used is very dependent on the mix and genre, the main thing is to find the combination of limiters and clipping that works best for the project, and that can be one of the most time consuming processes in mastering today.

I felt the mix needed a bit more compression so the C2 is just touching it like half a db since Jonas had already compressed it somewhat, and I also had to brighten it up a bit with a combination of NSEQ-2 and Algorithmix LP. I needed to high-pass at 24Hz or something and added a little boost at 80Hz like half a db to fatten up the bass and guitar low-end. I also implemented a light multiband to keep low-end intact for double-bass parts that kind of became a bit too overbearing.

well sir, that is very enlightening.
i'm barely awake right now so for now its just a big thanks!
damn sure theres gonna be more questions.

im loving the relaxed environment youve got going there. you can just sit on the couch and master.to me it looks more like a living room than anything. and the new scar symmetry sounds GREAT!

i dig it. feels like my old enthusiasm for soilwork.
plec: would you reveal your processing chain?
like which plugs, particular order of the outboard units.

The new song does absolutely nothing for me. It sounds like any of the filler tracks on their two previous albums. They should try to do more of the energetic stuff, such as Chaosweaver, Reborn and The Kaleidoscopic God.

I'm rather underwhelmed by this band's music. I always hope they'll somehow grow out of the monotonous riffing and rely less on the rampant clean vocal hooks to drive the music. I still listen just for Per's solos though...

Interesting thread for sure. It looks like one of these in the bottom of the rack too?

hedd_192product.jpg

As for the band's music, I've never really liked much that I've heard from them in the past, but this new song definitely seems like a step up to me. And as mentioned, that chorus is ridiculously catchy...haha.

First off... sorry, but I can not post any material featuring the actual album content. I'm barley allowed to post the video which only contains audio from the video-camera mic, and I will probably need to take it down for a while now since they have decided that they're going to do a video for the first track. They are afraid people will get sick of the song before the video is made public if this one stays on youtube any longer, so... :err:

Best way to check out mix/master difference is to ask a mastering studio if they can do a test-master for you. The differences sometimes can be very small, and sometimes very dramatic and it all varies greatly from project to project.

Jonas did a great job with the mix of course, so my mission was just to beef it all up. In a lot of cases with less experienced producers and engineers you need to adress mix problems, which in turn make lesser masters... so nothing of that kind here. He delivered a slightly compressed and limited mix, which is fine when you know what you're doing and when it's essential for the mix to "sit" right musically. It's much easier to master when you have something to work with that already sounds good, so sending something to mastering totally clean of any bus processing might not be what you want (although alot of people claim that the mix bus should be rid of anything when sent to mastering, which is total BS.. IMHO).

There is a combination of digital limiting and analog clipping (clipping converters which is mistaken for "digital clipping", but you're actually clipping an analogue stage before the conversion...). Gear used is very dependent on the mix and genre, the main thing is to find the combination of limiters and clipping that works best for the project, and that can be one of the most time consuming processes in mastering today.

I felt the mix needed a bit more compression so the C2 is just touching it like half a db since Jonas had already compressed it somewhat, and I also had to brighten it up a bit with a combination of NSEQ-2 and Algorithmix LP. I needed to high-pass at 24Hz or something and added a little boost at 80Hz like half a db to fatten up the bass and guitar low-end. I also implemented a light multiband to keep low-end intact for double-bass parts that kind of became a bit too overbearing.

Thanks for the info. It really does sound like a project where the mix was sitting right.

I was so impressed by the quality of the master even on the myspace page that I've got some current clients inquiring with you about mastering an album I'm in the middle of mixing at the moment.

I figure since the Australian mastering houses haven't cut it, I'll just keep going abroad, country by country until someone nails it :)