Mastering Practiced... I'm ashamed of this.

abaga129

The Apprentice
Today i've been practicing getting my mixes louder and have been experimenting with compressing at different stages and with different methods.

I've been using a tool called TT dynamic Range Meter to compare my mix to some other mixes out there and I cant believe the difference. I thought that I had squashed this song to the point where I couldnt squash it anymore and somehow it still only comes out to -8.5 RMS when compared to some sturgis mixes that are -4 to -5... I'm not saying I neccasarily like that mixes are that squashed.. but If im going to compete, i need to be able to get around the -5 mark. It's what all of the young bands want :p

Here's the mix that i was working on
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56167527/These Walls LOUD AS FUCK.mp3

On the master chain I compressed it pretty heavily with ReaXcomp, followed by a bus compressor, EQ, Tape Saturation, Ozone Maximizer, another bus comp that captured a few peaks here and there, and Lastly a brickwall Limiter so i could push the compressor before it back up to 0db without clipping.

Im afraid that im wayyyy overdoing this.

Tell me what you think.

I can't listen since I'm at work, but I just want to say that mastering isn't making your mix loud per se. I'm finally starting to realize more and more compressing and limiting a master is more about compressing for punch and limiting for glue and stereo imaging more than it is for being loud. I'll listen once I get to the studio!

A few tips with mastering

Put a high pass filter around 30hz on the master bus to filter out that low end rumble, low end KILLS headroom and will make it pump like crazy.

Use compressor plugs that are geared to be master bus compressor plugs.

Only use tape saturation if you need it which in most cases we THINK we need it (especially in the digital domain)

Try not to do more than 2-3db gain reduction per instance (staged compression is key)

A well balanced mix with always sound more professional and bigger without anything on the master bus than an unbalanced mix with a bunch of plugs thrown on it

Basically, mastering should only enhance the mix with glue and punch and shine, not make up for the things your mix doesn't provide (not saying your mix is bad because again, I haven't heard it). If you have any questions fire away! I'm still learning correct mastering, but these are the things I have found along the way.