Mastering Question for Greatest Hits Albums

Liam Thompson

Lord of the Strings
Jan 13, 2004
Sunderland, England
www.avenger-uk.com
Been a while since I posted here but there is something that I have been thinking about for a while now.

How does the mastering engineer go about mastering something like a greatest hits album? Say something like Signs of Chaos by Testament.

Does the engineer find a happy medium between all the songs from different albums? Has anyone noticed a master of a song on a comilation album like this one being substantially different to the orginal album master, say more squashed or brighter for instance?

Cheers

I mastered a couple of compilation albums for my college record label which included tracks from a wide range of different albums and genres. Basically, what we did was take the individual mastered album tracks and just make sure that all the tracks were at a consistant level.

Well I'd imagine with normalization, a relatively dynamic song would still seem 'quieter' than a squashed one, because the peaks would be at 0 (or -0.3, or whatever you master to), whereas with the squashed ones the entire waveform would be hitting closer to the peak.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Jack did some limiting and pushing for the 'quieter' tracks.

Different people do different things. For the really good releases they have been known to get the original mixdown tapes and make a new master. But thats not often.

They usually make the compilation and apply eq to many of the songs. Also maybe run the softer ones through a Waves L2. But they do all sorts of bad shit when they make those Relapse or Century Media comps. Those always have less than album quality audio.

Colin

I've noticed that on a lot of movie soundtracks that feature one or two metal bands, the bass guitar is usually much louder than on the album. The best example I can think of is the tales from the crypt demon knight soundtrack, where all the songs are bass-heavy. I guess it's easier on the ears of the non-metal fan!