Mastering Tutorial

AStacy2

May 19, 2006
Ohio
Hey guys, I ran across this website and read this pretty basic tutorial about mastering songs with just the basics or eq, multiband compression and limiting. Even if you don't have Har-Bal they use, he goes into other techniques too and after reading it a few times, my masters got a little better.

Here's the link:

http://har-bal.com/mastering_process.php

The part about the multiband compression is pretty cool as I think it's always a very hard thing to get right. When mastering tracks I ususally do something close to what this guy does with his multiband too. What do you guys usually do with your multiband, similar proccess or different? Any tips/tricks that you like? Some of my stuff seems to be too compressed sometimes, or I lose prescense of the drum tracks is why I ask.

Nice link. Cheers. I've sort of been developing my own mastering process after doing it more and more, but will definitely give that method a bash. Seems to be more of a visual method than an aural one.

cool article, but im comparing it to how i master (it's basically working in the dark, because i know barely anything about it) but my old ones sound better than my new ones following this article.