Mastering...

Keregioz

Kimon Zeliotis
Aug 31, 2001
Athens, Greece
Visit site
Ok....i have recorded a song and now i'm trying to master it.
I do all the stuff in a computer with software plugins...
Basically the only thing i do during mastering is using a limiter (db audioware limiter) ...
The problem is that when i compare it with other recordings (mostly with dead heart in a dead world by nevermore) it's not that "loud"...
I try boosting 6 dbs with the limiter but that's very strong limiting and you can feel the volume level falling on the kick drum for example....And the edges of the songs wave form is a straight line...
So my question is...can i have the same volume level like dead heart... by using only software plugins???...
And what else should i do except using a limiter during the mastering proccess??....compression? multiband compression?....and what settings should i use???...
Should i use compression/limiting over the whole mix or do you make submixes of drums or guitars and compress individually??...

I'm sure Mr. Sneap will have a more in-depth answer for you than this, but I would say that if you are working on a computer, you should mix the track down, and normalise it to -0.1 db, then use GENTLE multi-band compression and GENTLE global EQ to even out the peaks and flatter the mix a little, and you should also try playing the mastered track back through different speakers, great ones and shit ones, to try and make sure it will get the best out of whatever equipment it is played on.

Hope this helps.

i always master to -0.2db. i think that is the norm, but i'm not really sure either. besides what timphallicide said, also compare it to other cds you have, see if the volumes and such are similar. when we did the serberus cd, we used slaughter of the soul for the mix cuz it rules, and the new dimmu borgir for mastering cuz its so fuckin loud. we got close.

I think Mastering is best left to Mastering Engineers. Whenever I try to do it, I just can't quite get it right. There are a few things I have learned to help out in raising the apparent loudness of music...analog tape, multi-band where you squash the low bass, and take out the stuff that doesn't really really need to be there, although thats best done in mixing. And the best thing that I've found for super-loud-mastering is that you don't need super-loud-mastering. Its pretty obnoxious, and doesn't really let the music breathe.

I know i won't be able to do mastering better than mastering engineers but still i'm really interested in reading mr. sneap's advice and i'm sure it could help me get better results...

Oh yeah man! I'm not trying to tell you that you can't do mastering...how did mastering engineer's get their start! Andy sure does know what he is doing, and I'm not trying to discourage you. You know, the best thing really is practice. I download underground (read: crappy recordings) stuff from mp3.com and work on it when I don't have anything going on. I'm getting a Mackie UAD-1 soon, so I'll be able to use LA-2As and Pultecs! Woot woot!

I asked a teacher of mine about just that thing. I use a maximizer (plug-in) to get the level to -0.3db, but it still feels REALLY low. What he told me was that it isn't really low but I've not used as much compression as other have used on other cd, so the sound is at the same level but you hear it like it was louder 'cause all the small things in the background is boosted...

Still haven't figured out how to use a multiband compressor. I usually add the maximizer, then the eq, then maximizer again. Sometimes compression too. Although the maximizer use one when the volume goes over the threshold.

But mastering is really an art, I find it harder to do a good mastering than a good mix.

Trial and error.