Mastering

Steno

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2003
Macerata - Italy
www.edenshade.com
Hello Andy! Hello everybody!
I was just wandering what kind of parameters you do use in mastering (I mean EQs, compression...)
I used to use Waves L1 or L2 but they change too much the sound of the whole work, rising too much the midrange... the result is that guitars gain volume and drums and vocals tend to disappear... it's more or less the same using Maxim...
I recently discovered Timeworks CompressorX and it sounds much better (giving also a greater presence to the sound, it's fantastic!) but still I'm not satisfied 100%...
Any suggestions?
Have I to mix keeping in mind that with compression something will change (i.e. keeping drums more present because they will disappear in mastering...)? Or even mix with mastering compression ON (I heard someone does that...)?

Thank you in advance!

I always mix with the limiters on so I know whats going to happen when I master it. The first thing that'll happen when you try and get the levels hotter is the drums will suffer. I'll usually stick either the finalizer or the L1 on the stereo bus

Thank you Andy!

Just another little question... you've got the finalizer as a Pro Tools plug-in or you use the physical machine? I've a digi002 and I've not found Finalizer as an RTAS plug-in...
Thank you again, you're great!